Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 'I don't care' about 'sportswashing' accusations.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No one likes us, No one likes us, No one likes us and we don't care.....
It is not as if we did not know it.

"If sportswashing is going to increase my GDP by 1%, then we'll continue doing sportswashing," Bin Salman said"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We, on the whole, don't.
If that's the case, why not more protests and chants at the matches? I know there is a small but dedicated group outside, but nothing in the stadium and very little online?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Because football fans are the most fickle people on the planet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And also the most powerless, especially when measured alongside their devotion to their club.

Still, everyone can carry on slating the Newcastle fans whilst letting the football authorities off the hook I suppose.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Essentially he's just saying, we know what we are and we don't care because we can buy the silence of anyone that dissents or buy the services of people to shut up anyone that dissents or causes us trouble...or just murder them in one of our embassies and cut them up and dispose of them. Newcastle should be f***ing ashamed at themselves.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just goes to show how corrupt the world really is and these 'Conspiracy theories' may have a touch of truth about them.

How the UK Government got involved to let the PIF take over Newcastle just adds fuel to the fire.
All conspiracy theories contain the odd thing that is true, but that smidgeon is wrapped around a stinking tonne of shite. What's going on in the world is hiding in plain sight. All we have to do is to critically analyse things, seek reliable sources of information, gather together a valid range of viewpoints, and so on.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022

Not really, most people are not politics 24/7 and compartmentalise their lives and so footie comes under entertainment. People dont want to be lectured on politics or by priests when all they want is to chill out with a form of escapism. This is why black lives matter leaves most people cold. Its not that they have anti views its just a case of having a break from it all.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
If that's the case, why not more protests and chants at the matches? I know there is a small but dedicated group outside, but nothing in the stadium and very little online?
That is a complicated and nuanced conversation. Long story short, across the footballing world fanbases usually only protest the owners because of the way they are treating the club. Is that right? Nope, but it's reality.

Before the takeover happened it was clear it would be sportswashing, when it happened it was pure sportswashing, now that it's entrenched it's still sportswashing. For Bin Salman to say it in an interview isn't some kind Shyamalan reveal. Just like when people were convinced that PIF using their connection to the state to avoid questions about LIV Golf would somehow mean their assurances to the contrary here would come unglued.

It's all just theatre, the PL stopped caring about PIF/KSA separation the minute Saudi Arabia stopped pirating BEin's broadcast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here