I didn't realise the argus is THIS desperate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
From the website - All about CMS goal celebration on Friday

Mackail-Smith's C-Goal flies in Albion romp

10:09am Saturday 15th September 2012 in News By Ben Parsons, Crime Reporter :eek::eek::eek:

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Its to do with the criminal prices they are now charging for what is effectively the Leader with a couple more football stories in it.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I can't see what the extra 20p rise has gone on it's just as thin and still loads of adverts can't believe it's 20p more than most national newspapers that have twice as many pages

I can't see what the extra 20p rise has gone on it's just as thin and still loads of adverts can't believe it's 20p more than most national newspapers that have twice as many pages

They have admitted that they have lost advertisers and circulation has fallen - so they have looked at the situation very closely and stuck the prices up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Argus is a joke of a paper and the increase in price with no commensurate increase in either quality or quantity will surely see it on life support before too long.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Argus is a joke of a paper and the increase in price with no commensurate increase in either quality or quantity will surely see it on life support before too long.

Bloody hope not, did part of Minis Argus delivery today

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
To be fair, it was a criminal celebration.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It is utterly terrible. With a price increase of nearly 50 per cent I expected a huge increase in editorial values. It just hasn't happened. Last week they had a response panel at the end of Adam Trimmingham's piece asking readers if they 'agreed with what Adrian has written' and then there was a glowing piece about a B&H Farmers' Market which didn't actually say where or when the market was and then I stared to lose the will to live. The Argus now gives every sign of being written and produced a long way away from the community it is supposed to serve. Which, for a local newspaper, is the onset of death.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be fair, it was a criminal celebration.

No THIS is a criminal celebration
sport-graphics-2008_691713a.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It is utterly terrible. With a price increase of nearly 50 per cent I expected a huge increase in editorial values. It just hasn't happened. Last week they had a response panel at the end of Adam Trimmingham's piece asking readers if they 'agreed with what Adrian has written' and then there was a glowing piece about a B&H Farmers' Market which didn't actually say where or when the market was and then I stared to lose the will to live. The Argus now gives every sign of being written and produced a long way away from the community it is supposed to serve. Which, for a local newspaper, is the onset of death.

Well said.

The 'new style edition' from last Monday promised extra pages for the extra money and had 60 pages. Today there were 48 pages! They clearly don't have a clue what they are doing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While 20p may not be that much, it is the overall situation on quality and price.

For all commuters, the Argus will keep you entertained between London Bridge and well not even East Croydon, but on a good day (lots of football) will keep you amused until Norwood Juntion.

So an extra 20p and the promise of additional pages should keep you reading for longer. However it doesn't, so stopped buying.

I can now spend the first part of my journey home, focused on twitter, the Albion website and of course NSC.

Far better

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
85p on Saturday and 65p on Monday. Was expecting big things after a brilliant Albion win, especially with the new sports section.

What's different? Absolutely bugger all, just the back pages bundled into the middle of Monday's edition.

Complete disgrace, won't be buying it unless Albion have played, and even then I'm not sure i'm bothered.

Was going to get the Android App they were promoting in last Monday's edition, until I found out it doesn't actually exist yet.

Feel sorry for Naylor and Owen really, doing a decent job for a paper that's on the brink.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Worked for the Argus in the early sixties...the pink sports paper was brilliant and the Argus itself was'nt too bad.....I think that the sharp increase in prices now from 45p to 65p is way too much and has stopped me from buying it...but from their point of view...more money...less sales...less production cost....it's where you draw the line between profit/loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports