Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I am sorry, but on Saturday I am holding my nose, and supporting Palace

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never ‘support palace’ - ever. Never want palace to win. I hope Spurs lose.
Even you have got to park your A Town Called Malice FC loathing for this one. They’re not going anywhere in the table, aren’t getting relegated, plus their fans are going to hate the fact that a Chrystal Mighty FC victory helps us out.
:wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Even you have got to park your A Town Called Malice FC loathing for this one. They’re not going anywhere in the table, aren’t getting relegated, plus their fans are going to hate the fact that a Chrystal Mighty FC victory helps us out.
:wink:
As I say… I hope spurs lose 👍🤣

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:lolol::ffsparr::thumbsup: Talk about prejudging someone, seeing what you expected to see, not what was actually typed!
I will wear the pre judgement as a badge of honour Sir 🤣

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
As much as I enjoy the (pantomime) rivalry, I must confess that I despise Spurs more than Palace (since before this season's injustice).

There. I've said it.

The primary reason is their fans. I only know 2 that I would count as decent folk (and at least they are Londoners - one of them prefers Rugby anyway), but they are heavily outnumbered by a bunch of arrogant mid-Sussex bellcheeses who assume everyone has Spurs as their second team, everyone loves Son and everyone should be dancing around their living room to Chas n Dave whenever Kane tries to break someone's neck by backing in when they jump for a ball.

All fans are biased towards their club to a degree, but Spurs fans take it to another level and seem to know very little outside of their own club.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
As much as I enjoy the (pantomime) rivalry, I must confess that I despise Spurs more than Palace (since before this season's injustice).

There. I've said it.

The primary reason is their fans. I only know 2 that I would count as decent folk (and at least they are Londoners - one of them prefers Rugby anyway), but they are heavily outnumbered by a bunch of arrogant mid-Sussex bellcheeses who assume everyone has Spurs as their second team, everyone loves Son and everyone should be dancing around their living room to Chas n Dave whenever Kane tries to break someone's neck by backing in when they jump for a ball.

All fans are biased towards their club to a degree, but Spurs fans take it to another level and seem to know very little outside of their own club.
By way of balance, the Tottenham fans I happen to know are lovely people with a wide range of interests and impressive depth of knowledge.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I wont cheer on Palace as they have their own bloody supporters who can do that. I will be begrudgingly pleased if Palace do win against Spurs from a selfishly Albion POV.

Palace did beat Cardiff in the 2018/19 season which did guarantee our survival in the Premier League, and again recall it happening during the Withdean years, so I will confidently say that there are other matches where a Palace win has benefitted us before.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Am I remembering this right but didn't we cheer them to victory once while we were fighting relegation from the Championship at Withdean?

Who were their opponents? Can anyone fill in the gaps for me?!
Yes - sort of. We beat Watford 4-0 and needed Palace to beat Stoke (I think) to take it to the last day at Grimsby. Then Reading (I think) lost to Stoke anyway (I think).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Cease this nonsense.

Tottenham play Palace (H), Villa (A), Brentford (H), Leeds (A). They currently have 54 points, so the maximum they can get is 66.
Villa play Wolves (A), Tottenham (H), Liverpool (A) Brighton (H). They also have 54 points and can get to 66.
Liverpool play Brentford (H), Leicester (A), Villa (H), Southampton (A). They're on 59 and can reach 71.

Not all of these can happen as Villa are playing both of them. I'm expecting Liverpool to win their four games, meaning that we will need to finish above one of the others for the Conference, or both of the others for Europa League. After last night's success, winning our home games against Everton and Southampton would give us at least 61 points and, with a superior goal difference, 4 tough games to try to get five points to ensure at least sixth.

It's in our hands. Stooping to hoping for Palace to win in such circumstances shows no confidence in the best team we've ever had. We can do this without outside assistance. If I didn't hope Palace would win when we were struggling against relegation a few seasons ago, I'm not going to start now. I, like the blokes in black pyjamas pretending to support Palace, will be hoping for a Tottenham win.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I haven
Cease this nonsense.

Tottenham play Palace (H), Villa (A), Brentford (H), Leeds (A). They currently have 54 points, so the maximum they can get is 66.
Villa play Wolves (A), Tottenham (H), Liverpool (A) Brighton (H). They also have 54 points and can get to 66.
Liverpool play Brentford (H), Leicester (A), Villa (H), Southampton (A). They're on 59 and can reach 71.

Not all of these can happen as Villa are playing both of them. I'm expecting Liverpool to win their four games, meaning that we will need to finish above one of the others for the Conference, or both of the others for Europa League. After last night's success, winning our home games against Everton and Southampton would give us at least 61 points and, with a superior goal difference, 4 tough games to try to get five points to ensure at least sixth.

It's in our hands. Stooping to hoping for Palace to win in such circumstances shows no confidence in the best team we've ever had. We can do this without outside assistance. If I didn't hope Palace would win when we were struggling against relegation a few seasons ago, I'm not going to start now. I, like the blokes in black pyjamas pretending to support Palace, will be hoping for a Tottenham win.
I haven't given up on Champions League yet and won't until it's mathematically impossible.

United have West Ham (A), Wolves (H), Bournemouth (A), Chelsea (H), Fulham (H)
They should seal UCL easily, with those fixtures, but they have shown a certain mental frailty this season, so hoping they may start to crack.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I haven

I haven't given up on Champions League yet and won't until it's mathematically impossible.

United have West Ham (A), Wolves (H), Bournemouth (A), Chelsea (H), Fulham (H)
They should seal UCL easily, with those fixtures, but they have shown a certain mental frailty this season, so hoping they may start to crack.
I keep dreaming, but sadly think we would have to win at least 5 games, possibly all 6. However, beating Arsenal may mean City already have the title before they come to the Amex and Pep might rest players before the Cup Final and Champions League, and we sneak a win as per a couple of seasons ago.

But as far as CL, the Tottenham and Palace VARce is going to stop us getting close I suspect.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
By way of balance, the Tottenham fans I happen to know are lovely people with a wide range of interests and impressive depth of knowledge.
For further balance, one I know is a sex offender
Cease this nonsense.

A like for the sensible analysis in bold.

I can't agree with the last bit though. Palace getting points has zero relevance to our league position, whereas there's a chance Spurs could still overtake us. It may be in our hands, but a safety net is no bad thing.

Plus, I REALLY hate Spurs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here