Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull owner says: Critics 'can die as soon as they want'

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes, I realise that the FA does have some control over these things. I was musing about:

1) How much control?
2) Whether the controls are clearly laid out anywhere? i.e. is it transparent what control they have?
3) Whether the rules (if indeed there are clear "rules") are consistently applied?

If not, then it's just a random free-for-all.

Taking the Conn quote as an example, is it not surprising that a sport's governing body can cite as a reason to not permit the name change the fact they they don't think it's justified on commercial grounds? Why should a governing body have any role to play in determining whether a decision is justified or not commercially?

Don't get me wrong, I think Allam is being a c*ck of the highest order over this, but I wonder if the FA are just winging their response...

Rule 3-l of the FA

"A Club competing in any one of The Premier League, The Football League, The
Football Conference, the Southern Football League, the Isthmian League and the
Northern Premier League shall not be permitted to change its playing name (i.e.
the name under which the Club competes in a Competition), as recorded on Form
“A”, save with the prior written permission of Council.

Any application for a change of playing name must be received by The Association
before 1st April in any calendar year in order for it to be considered by Council for
adoption in the following playing season. Council will use its absolute discretion in
deciding whether to approve a change in a Club’s playing name

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/...ciation/2013-14/rules-of-the-association.ashx

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Rule 3-l of the FA

"A Club competing in any one of The Premier League, The Football League, The
Football Conference, the Southern Football League, the Isthmian League and the
Northern Premier League shall not be permitted to change its playing name (i.e.
the name under which the Club competes in a Competition), as recorded on Form
“A”, save with the prior written permission of Council.

Any application for a change of playing name must be received by The Association
before 1st April in any calendar year in order for it to be considered by Council for
adoption in the following playing season. Council will use its absolute discretion in
deciding whether to approve a change in a Club’s playing name

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/...ciation/2013-14/rules-of-the-association.ashx

Thanks! That's clear enough!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, I realise that the FA does have some control over these things. I was musing about:

1) How much control?
2) Whether the controls are clearly laid out anywhere? i.e. is it transparent what control they have?
3) Whether the rules (if indeed there are clear "rules") are consistently applied?

If not, then it's just a random free-for-all.

Taking the Conn quote as an example, is it not surprising that a sport's governing body can cite as a reason to not permit the name change the fact they they don't think it's justified on commercial grounds? Why should a governing body have any role to play in determining whether a decision is justified or not commercially?

Don't get me wrong, I think Allam is being a c*ck of the highest order over this, but I wonder if the FA are just winging their response...

What I'm saying (probably very badly) is I think it's in the FA rules, and hence they need permission to change it.

The rules behind the reasons of refusal might be more murky and far more open to interpretation, but 'not making a good case' and 'not consulting the fans' are as good as any reasonable ones that you could find.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He sounds like a perfect match for Poyet. Perhaps they could go and play golf together?
Sounds ideal, but I doubt they'd make 9 holes before one of them stormed off.

Well you almost feel like saying, well foff then. We need to get back to local people owning clubs again
I know it's been mentioned since your post that he has supported the club for decades. The thing is, he's not the average fan. I think it was explained well by the Reading fan that posted here the other day. He said yes, Reading are tinpot - so what, that's our club and whom we chose to support. Those of us that support our local team do so for a reason. Yes, we'd like to have a tiny bit of success once in a while, but the main thing is supporting our local club, no matter how shit we are. And part of that is the history and tradition of our club. If a new owner were to strip all of that and make us a top 5 club, it wouldn't really be our club anymore. If that's what you (not you) want, why not just go and support Chelski.

So yes, the Hull owner is a genuine fan of Hull, but he's not interested in the club in the way its true fans are. He wouldn't care if they lost their identity, and the majority of their supporters had no idea where Hull was. Personally, I'd rather compete at the level we're at, than see that happen to our club. Of course I accept that some fans wouldn't feel the same. Some would rather we were top half of the premier league, playing in red, and called the Brighton Sea Eagles.

It's like us, we could one day become the Arsenal of the South Coast
I take offence to that suggestion.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I know it's been mentioned since your post that he has supported the club for decades. The thing is, he's not the average fan. I think it was explained well by the Reading fan that posted here the other day. He said yes, Reading are tinpot - so what, that's our club and whom we chose to support. Those of us that support our local team do so for a reason. Yes, we'd like to have a tiny bit of success once in a while, but the main thing is supporting our local club, no matter how shit we are. And part of that is the history and tradition of our club. If a new owner were to strip all of that and make us a top 5 club, it wouldn't really be our club anymore. If that's what you (not you) want, why not just go and support Chelski.

So yes, the Hull owner is a genuine fan of Hull, but he's not interested in the club in the way its true fans are. He wouldn't care if they lost their identity, and the majority of their supporters had no idea where Hull was. Personally, I'd rather compete at the level we're at, than see that happen to our club. Of course I accept that some fans wouldn't feel the same. Some would rather we were top half of the premier league, playing in red, and called the Brighton Sea Eagles.

I take offence to that suggestion.

While I'm not defending him, I do see what Allam is doing and do think that he thinks he's doing it in the best interests of the club.

Football is financially in dire straits and to compete at the highest level, clubs need ridiculous quantities of money to pay silly wages to over-rated prima donnas. No news there.

In order to try to get a foot in the door and enter the "big club" club, Allam wants to expand the brand-value of his club. To do this, he thinks that a name change will help.

...I personally disagree, but up to this point I see where he is going...

Then he starts to look like a CJTC because of the way he goes about it. F*ck the local fans because they disagree. F*ck the club ("I'll take my money and leave") because he's being critised in the press. Worst kind of spoilt-brat behaviour. And a clear demonstration, IMO, that he is not a fit and proper person to be running a club - not because of what he wants to do, but because of the way he has gone about it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I don't think that's a really fair assessment of Assem Allam. He hasn't decided to change the name of Hull City on a whim and reading about all the work he has put into the Hull area I don't think it's fair to suggest he couldn't care if the "majority of their supporters had no idea where Hull was".

For some time he tried to buy the freehold of the KC Stadium and had promised to put in a further £30M if this was successful in order to expand the stadium and develop other income streams on the site in order to make the club financially sound.

The local council however have refused to sell the stadium nor to allow development on the site. This essentially means that the club as it stands will always be dependent on a benefactor.

The only other option appears to be to market the club outside of Hull itself, not an ideal solution but one that could work. This doesn't mean that Assam sees this as his preferred solution, in fact his actions prior to this seem to suggest otherwise.

I'm assuming that the entry in Wikipedia is fairly accurate and if so it does look like Assam has a real 'love' for the Hull area:-
"Allam has frequently made reference to his gratitude for his adoptive home in the East Riding of Yorkshire, and has made several philanthropic gestures to the area including providing support to several local grassroots sports clubs, making donations to the Hull Truck Theatre, as well as becoming a trustee of the Daisy Appeal, a medical research fund at the local Castle Hill Hospital in Cottingham. He has stated that he feels an obligation to pay back the region for his success. In September 2010, it was speculated that he was interested in investing in Hull City A.F.C., the local football team, which had been relegated from the Premier League earlier in 2010 with extensive financial problems"

Hardly the description of someone who matches some of those suggested on this thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think that's a really fair assessment of Assem Allam. He hasn't decided to change the name of Hull City on a whim and reading about all the work he has put into the Hull area I don't think it's fair to suggest he couldn't care if the "majority of their supporters had no idea where Hull was".
I've not suggested that he's like many of the rich owners that have emerged in recent years (who don't care which team they own). But I think he'd like Hull to be supported by hundreds of thousands of fans from elsewhere in the world, which is why he wants the name change. So I think it's accurate to say he doesn't care if most of the fans don't know where Hull is. He wants more fans for the club, and more income for the club, so the club can do well on the pitch. That's not exactly a huge criticism of him, it seems like a good plan for the club. I only question it because I think it's too easy to lose sight of what makes a club special. I don't think on field success is the only important factor. I think it's important to retain your history, and your links with your local fans.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I've not suggested that he's like many of the rich owners that have emerged in recent years (who don't care which team they own). But I think he'd like Hull to be supported by hundreds of thousands of fans from elsewhere in the world, which is why he wants the name change. So I think it's accurate to say he doesn't care if most of the fans don't know where Hull is. He wants more fans for the club, and more income for the club, so the club can do well on the pitch. That's not exactly a huge criticism of him, it seems like a good plan for the club. I only question it because I think it's too easy to lose sight of what makes a club special. I don't think on field success is the only important factor. I think it's important to retain your history, and your links with your local fans.

I think you are correct that Allam wants the club to be supported "by hundreds of thousands of fans from elsewhere in the world", but as the only option he sees open to him in order to make the club financially viable.

That of course doesn't mean that he "doesn't care if most of the fans don't know where Hull is" - for all either of us know he may well care deeply but feel that he has no other option.

It will be interesting to see what the question is in the poll he plans to put to season ticket holders over the name change and whether or not it will be linked to his ownership of the club and marketing of the club overseas.

There has been plenty of criticism of Assam but I have not seen any suggestion regarding steps open to him to stop the club being a money pit if stadium expansion and overseas marketing are ruled out.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It turns they've agreed on another name

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...city-to-be-renamed-hull-dildoes-2014031884726

HULL City owner Assem Allam plans a dildo-themed rebrand for the club, it has emerged.

After supporters rejected ‘Hull Tigers’ on the basis they aren’t an ice hockey team, the Hull Dildoes was suggested on the basis the fans can go **** themselves.
Allam said: “The new crest will be three gleaming synthetic dongs pointing heavenwards, and our shirt sponsors will be Ann Summers.
“I previously suggested I would walk away from the club if they opposed the Tigers name change – they may wish I had when they see the new mascot, which is decidedly child unfriendly.”
Allam hopes to make Hull more marketable, removing ‘City’ from their name so the team currently lying 13th in the league with Tom Huddlestone in their side isn’t confused with title contenders Manchester City.
Supporters have opposed the move, arguing that a multimillionaire was not allowed to rename something they love just because he owns it.
Allam responded by renaming his family mansion ‘Dr Pisswicket’s House Of Pancakes’ and his Rolls Royce ‘The Egret Of Solitude’.
He said: “If this doesn’t work I’ll start renaming the staff and we’ll see how Steve Bruce likes being called SausageNose Titclister in meetings.”

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It turns they've agreed on another name

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...city-to-be-renamed-hull-dildoes-2014031884726

HULL City owner Assem Allam plans a dildo-themed rebrand for the club, it has emerged.

After supporters rejected ‘Hull Tigers’ on the basis they aren’t an ice hockey team, the Hull Dildoes was suggested on the basis the fans can go **** themselves.
Allam said: “The new crest will be three gleaming synthetic dongs pointing heavenwards, and our shirt sponsors will be Ann Summers.
“I previously suggested I would walk away from the club if they opposed the Tigers name change – they may wish I had when they see the new mascot, which is decidedly child unfriendly.”
Allam hopes to make Hull more marketable, removing ‘City’ from their name so the team currently lying 13th in the league with Tom Huddlestone in their side isn’t confused with title contenders Manchester City.
Supporters have opposed the move, arguing that a multimillionaire was not allowed to rename something they love just because he owns it.
Allam responded by renaming his family mansion ‘Dr Pisswicket’s House Of Pancakes’ and his Rolls Royce ‘The Egret Of Solitude’.
He said: “If this doesn’t work I’ll start renaming the staff and we’ll see how Steve Bruce likes being called SausageNose Titclister in meetings.”

Phew... glad that's sorted then. I was really concerned that the Queen was going to step in and strip Hull of its city status to help Allam out.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It seems that the club are now going to ballot season ticket holders to hear the voice of what they call the 'silent majority'. Why the hell do that now? If they'd done that in the first place, and the results had gone as they maintain they would, they could have gone to the FA with a mandate for the change, rather than with the noise of ferocious opposition ringing in the FA's ears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here