Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's biggest test since being at the Albion?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was gonna let this one slide, as I know we already have a site pedant, but as others are now saying "oh yeh, forgot that" - I feel I should correct the error.

We did indeed go 5 games on the bounce without scoring, but one of those games was actually a 0-0 draw - strangely enough at Brentford. So in fact we only lost 3 in a row, after the draw with Brentford.

Yes, I stand corrected. We went 5 games in a row without winning, and 5 games in a row without scoring.
That would have been a better way of putting it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He had a test last season when we lost 5 games in a row, not scoring one goal.

I hadn't forgotten our blip, but I'd forgotten it was that bad!

We only lost 4 in a row (including the FAC game at Hull), but did go 6 games without scoring, one of which was a 0-0 at Brentford. It was a terrible run when you consider that it included home losses to Ipswich and Wolves and that horrible 0-2 at Rotherham, which proved to be the turning point.

It does seem to be an Albion thing that we play poorly in the mid winter months. My memories of most of our promotion or championship seasons are that we've not been great mid season but really kicked on from March onwards - last year was no exception.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am happy with loosing Sunday,having a re group, a huddle if you like,then taking a point at Barnsley and ending up on 73 points for the start of March.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the cracks are starting to show and we might be about to be found out.

Thats the kind of message I am now receiving on a daily basis from my Leeds supporting mate....could do without reading it on here too!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
even if we lose to Brentford,which most on here think we will,myself included,I won't be too worried

what with home games against Burton & Ipswich around the corner

I'd take 6pts from 9 at this stage of the season and in our position

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I can understand why some fans are getting twitchy. It wasn't so much the score lines at Lincoln and Huddersfield but the nature of the spineless performances from the majority of the players. As good as Huddersfield were we were dreadful on the ball and looked timid without it. I think the nature of the performance tomorrow, no matter the result, will be the litmus test as to our real chances of staying the pace this season. Losing Dunk is a big blow as neither Goldson or Uwe have convinced for some time when called upon, but potentially having Stephens and Baldock back will be huge . The rest of the players have really got to show some fight now, I'd settle for a battling draw tomorrow and then kick on from there.

lyma1979

Jan 25, 2017
The way to look at it is we need 30 points from 48, that means we could lose 6 more games and still get promoted. All teams have a wobble, we're having ours and we are still top of the league.

Most chasing teams have still got to play each other, so they will all drop points at some point, and most teams also score less points in the second half of the season than the first half so actually what we are doing is actually normal even if it does make us feel more nervous.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think this is the wrong way to put it. Hughton HAS proven himself as a manager. He turned the team round and avoided relegation. Last year his team made a fantastic start and then recovered well from a bad December-January run caused by injuries to key players. We recovered when they came back and/or January signings had an impact.

The key issue right now is something that at this moment Hughton can't do much about. Does the squad have the fitness and strength in depth? Last year we lost key players and went on a losing run. This year it doesn't yet look so bad, but the cracks have been showing as soon as we lose certain players - or they lose form. Personally I feared the worst at both Preston and Huddersfield. If the team is similarly depleted I will fear the worst at Brentford.

Our fate will depend on the likes of Bruno, Stephens, Kayal, Rosenior, Bong and others all getting and staying fit quickly. Overall I think we have the resources to get out of this league now. A couple of untimely injuries (or even suspensions) might tip the balance. (Imagine if it had been Stockdale rather than Maenpaa who got injured). We can't put this all on Hughton. The best recent decision he has made was to recall Walton) He's working well with what he's been given. To be fair the club also seem to have spent what they can within their means. I just hope it's enough!

Excellent summary - I think we may well lose the Brentford game but the key will be to get back to winning ways immediately after with wins against Burton and Ipswich. What we always forget when we're self-flagellating is that all the teams around us have also got difficult games ahead (e.g. Leeds away to Huddersfield tomorrow) and they will lose their fair share too. It is however completely open and the revised reality is that, with 18 games to go, anyone from Newcastle, ourselves, Leeds, Huddersfield, Reading, Sheff W, Derby, Barnsley, Fulham and Norwich is in with a chance.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
I think the cracks are starting to show and we might be about to be found out.

Completely agree, we ARE in a false position and I'm not sure we have the squad to take us over the line, Glenda certainly isn't the striker we needed to get us all the way. School boy errors by Tony and Chris in failing to bring in much better and needed quality in Jan. We had a great chance but feel those two have blown it. Hopefully I'm wrong, only time will till.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Completely agree, we ARE in a false position and I'm not sure we have the squad to take us over the line, Glenda certainly isn't the striker we needed to get us all the way. School boy errors by Tony and Chris in failing to bring in much better and needed quality in Jan. We had a great chance but feel those two have blown it. Hopefully I'm wrong, only time will till.

Absolutely, earning more points in 2016 than any other teams in the 92 was a total fluke, and we are no better off than under Hyppia.

#HughtonOut #BarberOut #BloomOut #SackTheBoard

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
QPR arguably but probably Norwich. (13 league games ago)

Leeds. Sheffield Wednesday. Birmingham City. Its one thing to smash the crap teams like Norwich and QPR but the real test is against the other good teams in this division, in these games we're not going to be tearing the opposition a new one but we need to fight and battle and scrap and demonstrate skill when its needed, and we most definitely did that in all those three games. Considering the initial complaint was our lack of fight at Lincoln and Huddersfield, its fair to say those games were examples of how we can play.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You mean they've potentially blown the chance they gave us? The one we wouldn't have without them?...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Leeds. Sheffield Wednesday. Birmingham City. Its one thing to smash the crap teams like Norwich and QPR but the real test is against the other good teams in this division, in these games we're not going to be tearing the opposition a new one but we need to fight and battle and scrap and demonstrate skill when its needed, and we most definitely did that in all those three games. Considering the initial complaint was our lack of fight at Lincoln and Huddersfield, its fair to say those games were examples of how we can play.

Bristol City was a walk in the park once we were 2 up. Second gear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. Let's start ticking off the required wins from now.
Easier said than done when the team has lost 3 of it's last 5 matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here