Hughton's Away Tactics

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
:wrong: :wozza:

Last year:
23 home games, 50 points = 2.17 average
23 away games, 39 points = 1.7 average

Am I missing something? The other poster's idea is correct. Win at home, draw away all but guarantees promotion and so IS a proven formula. It would give a team 92 points.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sooo.... in the course of 18 months we've had separate 20 match and 18 match unbeaten runs, and are currently 13 matches unbeaten, following a season when we were a gnat's bollock away from being relegated, and there are issues with CH's tactical nous?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it's important to acknowledge that playing away games will always be more challenging because the home side will invariably try to introduce elements that make it hard for the away team to play the way they would at their home ground. Dale said in his radio interview that Cardiff had grown the grass long and kept it dry, two things that are designed to disrupt our style of play. So don't fall into the trap of thinking that the tactics away are necessarily the way the team would ideally like to play.

This bears repeating, but it won't mean a thing to those posters who like to think they know more than the manager who has achieved more than the rest if us put together.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sooo.... in the course of 18 months we've had separate 20 match and 18 match unbeaten runs, and are currently 13 matches unbeaten, following a season when we were a gnat's bollock away from being relegated, and there are issues with CH's tactical nous?

Bring back the FINN,those stats are worthless,we want 1 win in 15 games or whatever Sami gave us at the end.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This bears repeating, but it won't mean a thing to those posters who like to think they know more than the manager who has achieved more than the rest if us put together.

I take issue with that. Some of these fans have won the Champions League with the Albion on Football Manager, yet no one gives them the credit they feel they deserve.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His view on home games and away games are exactly the same. Try and win the match but if you cant win it you have got to and make sure that you don't lose it. The only difference with the away games is that the opposition are more likely to come at you so you have got to make sure you are prepared for that

With hindsight maybe got it wrong yesterday tactically (a bit), or didn't adjust early enough (only in the last 20 when Knocky came on and we tried to nick it) because it was pretty obvious once the game started that Cardiff weren't going to come at us- right from the start there was no pressing from them

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
These same tactics, even against other bottom half teams, have resulted in late 1-0 wins at Wigan and Burton. On balance, I'd say things are working out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My only criticism for yesterday is how long it took CH to change anything.

Skalak wasn't doing the business, kept cutting in leaving Bruno with no choice but to play the ball back to Duffy and his set piece work wasn't up to his ususl standard either. Game was screaming for Knocky.

But then, had we brought Knocky on early, we'd have probably missed Skalak's defensive work.

To sum up: Chris knows best but that doesn't leave him immune from criticism.

Derosaxs

Nov 11, 2014
Chesham via Worthing
As others have said an average of 2 points a game will see us through.
Away wins are extra points for when we draw at home.
I believe that CH knows what he's doing and we should appreciate that wholeheartedly!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely Knockaert was on the bench yesterday due to form issues rather than tactics though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014

I'm not taking issue with his tactical nous, I was in no way making a criticism. I was just asking peoples opinions on the way we set up away from home. I didn't say it was the wrong way, in actual fact I probably think that in terms of this season the way we set up away from home has won us more points than its lost us. I'm struggling to see where there was any criticism in my OP to be honest, god forbid someone tries to start a discussion on a football forum...

Last edited:

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
We are 5 points ahead in the promotion places and have lost 2 games, and people are seriously questioning CH's tactics? Really?

CH is a great manager and is brilliantly tactically. I didn't say his tactics were wrong. I was asking what people thought the outcome would be IF we were to take more risks away from home.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I missing something? The other poster's idea is correct. Win at home, draw away all but guarantees promotion and so IS a proven formula. It would give a team 92 points.
Yes, you're missing context. It was being used as a way to suggest that drawing away is a good thing. It would be like losing every game at the start of the season and then saying "lose your first 15 games and win your remaining games is a proven formula". Sure, that would get you promoted, so mathematically it's correct, but it's not the right way to go about getting promoted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This season it hasn't been as much of an issue, but in terms last season there's definitely a decent argument to suggest that our away tactics, certainly at the start of the season, might have cost us points overall...
True, but having just avoided relegation the season before, Chris may not have expected us to be so good last season. He could have been justified in thinking a point away from home was a decent result at the start. As time went on he must have re-evaluated the team's aim, and we became more attacking away from home.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I take issue with that. Some of these fans have won the Champions League with the Albion on Football Manager, yet no one gives them the credit they feel they deserve.

Finally a voice for our cause! A feat I have achieved and credit I do not receive. Mind you, when the wife asks you what your favorite moment on the family holiday was, it's best to keep that particular achievement to yourself.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
More than happy with CH tactics away. Seeing too much being read into this game as the Cardiff tactics were so negative, keep us out at all costs and look for one on the break to try and nick it. It really does take two to tango and Cardiff didn't have their dancing shoes on. Difficult to strategise against that and their 'kill the game' tactics worked for most of the game. When we go away to teams who are not on bunker mode we will be able to play to our strengths more. We are a class act, home or away. IMHO.
:albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd like to see us do a little bit more away from home particularly against teams as lowly as Cardiff. Bournemouth went up with some great attacking football away from home.

However it just isn't the Hughton way. And frankly who cares. Given his record (which by the way is 3 defeats in the last 33 away games) we really can't complain can we. But to be fair to the opening poster had we gone for it from minute one I think we'd have won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here