Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton rewarded with new contract

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I am obviously delighted. Usually I look forward to the summer break and a break from the football. I now want the season to start next week after we have had the necessary few days to sign four players.

Without being critical however, isn't to say "the Club have rewarded Hughton with a contract" a little patronising? In my view, we should be equally delighted he has agreed to stay, I can imagine he wouldn't be short of lucrative offers. Being picky I know.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Great start to the new season! :albion2:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Hurrah :clap::cheery:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am absolutely delighted by this. What I really hope is that we go into next season as fans as we did this season, no over the top expectations and expecting us to win or whip everyone we play. I beleive it was the lack of pressure from the fans that also helped the players relax and play, no booing if we are behind at half time to the team that is bottom, and happy to except any sort of lead. We need to as we did this season to get behind the team whatever, then will have a really good season. #together good and bad

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Hughton is one of the most underrated managers in the England - probably as a result of his quiet and dignified demeanour.

Since he finish playing Hughton, as a coach, was largely responsible for Spurs having a number of decent to good seasons as they chopped and changed managers on a regular basis. He did a similar job with Newcastle, got them promoted and was building a good team at Newcastle before Ashley stupidly dumped him because he wanted a 'high-profile' manager (and then he appointed Alan Pardew - who I think is one of the more overrated managers in England). Hughton then proceeded to take a Birmingham team (that was in turmoil at the time) and get them to the play-offs. Hughton also played a large part in coaching the Irish team under Brian Kerr.

The efforts by Hughton to keep Norwich in the Premiership have been underrated - Norwich are a yo-yo club with limited funds and too much control in team affairs invested in the CEO. The biggest problem for Norwich was that they hadn't and didn't buy a decent striker - not there were that many decent strikers available in 2013 but Norwich put their money on Van Wolfswinkel in April and that left them with little room to manoeuvre during the summer. The mistake was made the previous off-season when there were several decent strikers available but Norwich wouldn't open the purse strings for a striker. The CEO made a hash of things saying early in the season (when Norwich were doing reasonably okay) that if they dropped into the bottom three then he would sack Hughton - Norwich were never in the bottom three under Hughton but McNally sacked him anyway. Hughton was adamant that he would have kept Norwich up - and in my opinion he would have.

The fact that Hughton has signed a new four-year contract demonstrates that he believes that Brighton are going in the right direction - I would be surprised if Everton, Watford and Aston Villa hadn't all made inquiries about his availability. I think it also demonstrates that Brighton and Hughton are on the same page in terms of what needs to be done. I expect that the squad will be strengthened. Brighton had a really good season and it will be difficult to replicate it - they won't be under the radar again. But Hughton knows what he is doing and can bring Brighton to the Premiership.

An extra point - Colin Calderwood plays an important role in what Hughton does at Brighton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hughton is one of the most underrated managers in the England - probably as a result of his quiet and dignified demeanour.

Since he finish playing Hughton, as a coach, was largely responsible for Spurs having a number of decent to good seasons as they chopped and changed managers on a regular basis. He did a similar job with Newcastle, got them promoted and was building a good team at Newcastle before Ashley stupidly dumped him because he wanted a 'high-profile' manager (and then he appointed Alan Pardew - who I think is one of the more overrated managers in England). Hughton then proceeded to take a Birmingham team (that was in turmoil at the time) and get them to the play-offs. Hughton also played a large part in coaching the Irish team under Brian Kerr.

The efforts by Hughton to keep Norwich in the Premiership have been underrated - Norwich are a yo-yo club with limited funds and too much control in team affairs invested in the CEO. The biggest problem for Norwich was that they hadn't and didn't buy a decent striker - not there were that many decent strikers available in 2013 but Norwich put their money on Van Wolfswinkel in April and that left them with little room to manoeuvre during the summer. The mistake was made the previous off-season when there were several decent strikers available but Norwich wouldn't open the purse strings for a striker. The CEO made a hash of things saying early in the season (when Norwich were doing reasonably okay) that if they dropped into the bottom three then he would sack Hughton - Norwich were never in the bottom three under Hughton but McNally sacked him anyway. Hughton was adamant that he would have kept Norwich up - and in my opinion he would have.

The fact that Hughton has signed a new four-year contract demonstrates that he believes that Brighton are going in the right direction - I would be surprised if Everton, Watford and Aston Villa hadn't all made inquiries about his availability. I think it also demonstrates that Brighton and Hughton are on the same page in terms of what needs to be done. I expect that the squad will be strengthened. Brighton had a really good season and it will be difficult to replicate it - they won't be under the radar again. But Hughton knows what he is doing and can bring Brighton to the Premiership.

An extra point - Colin Calderwood plays an important role in what Hughton does at Brighton.

Signing a player called Van Wolfswinkle is worthy of a four year deal alone.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
He won Championship Manager of the Year after finishing third. I think that tells us all what his fellow Managers think of him!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that the 4 year deal ius such to allow him to get us promoted and then consolidate for at least 1 season. I hope that his proves to be so but the nature of the job is that we are all better than our manager and will criticise him and have out own ideas. That is no slur on his ability

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would think that the 4 year deal ius such to allow him to get us promoted and then consolidate for at least 1 season. I hope that his proves to be so but the nature of the job is that we are all better than our manager and will criticise him and have out own ideas. That is no slur on his ability

So we have to wait 3 years for promotion possibly

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Absolutely superb news, given everyone a lift when it was needed.

There has been a few references here to people will turn on him if we are not doing well next season, i have also seen people saying that this season reminded them of 1978, it did me too.

However, although 1979, turned into a fantastic season for Brighton, it is worth remembering that it got off to quite a slow and inconsistent start, we didn't really get going until we played Nottingham Forest at the City Ground in the League cup, I think it was the 5th round and in November, but i haven't checked and am only going by memory, we lost that night, but the team played excellently against the best team in Europe, so much so that the confidence came flooding back and we never really looked back after that.

My point is, next season we probably wont start with a massive unbeaten run, we may wobble a bit, we may even have a bit of a hangover from this year, we wont be the first team that has happened to, in fact it wont even be the first or second time it has happened to Brighton. If this is the case, stay behind the team and the manager, they will get it right in the end.

After all, next season is 1979

UTA

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No I said at least 1 season to consolidate so could be promoted within the next couple of years, hopefully.

I know-was wrong:)...see the above for clarification.....i would probably take the play offs right now for next season....and with that the laptops battery is about to go and as it will not charge unless it's leaning on the floor when turned off......ia m too goodnight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here