Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton owned by Puel

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A fair comparison to us and Leicester is that they won the PL in their second season with a team arguably as good as ours if not worse in places Morgan/Huth = Dunk/Duffy but it was set up to play to their strengths and attack teams. If Izquierdo was used to attack teams instead of defend we may one day catch teams on the break like Vardy does but all the time we have everyone in the box then no chance

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A fair comparison to us and Leicester is that they won the PL in their second season with a team arguably as good as ours if not worse in places Morgan/Huth = Dunk/Duffy but it was set up to play to their strengths and attack teams. If Izquierdo was used to attack teams instead of defend we may one day catch teams on the break like Vardy does but all the time we have everyone in the box then no chance

Nail. On. The. Head. Although I don't expect us to be winning the league any time soon. Just that some of our attacking players are allowed to attack once in a while.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ha ! No. but by definition, most posters, me included, to NorthStandChat or Twitter are unlikely to reflect our overall fanbase. (the vast majority of them don't post to either) - that doesn't mean that opinion isn't held, or valid - but likely not representative.

Well if you got involved in the conversations in the queue waiting for the mill hill PR bus, that was all about how we totally capitulated against 10 men in the second half and how regular that is becoming.

It is obviousl that teams come out in the second half, time after time, and have a right go at us and it is only the brilliance of the defence that keeps us in games..but away from home, it doesn't work. I am at a loss to explain why hughton cannot motivate a team in th second half when they obviously come out at the beginning of the game and play terrific football....maybe teams and managers suss us out after about 20 minutes and change their tactics, knowing that we are going to be negative from the moment we score.

Frustratingly isequero needs a goal...he is trying to shoot every time he gets it and twice or three times, Murray was apoplectic with his lack of passing to bette placed players. Maybe that is one reason we are not putting teams away...apart from knocky not firing and our lack of other players in midfield who can score.

In the cold light of Sunday morning, it was still very disappointing but if we do not win our home games and get nothing away, we may be in a scrambling situation come January of course without Ryan! Good job we got those 3 wins on the bounce !

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Just that some of our attacking players are allowed to attack once in a while.

wooiu.jpg

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sounds great and all that, but I don't think we're as limited as you think we are. We've added to a squad that got a lot of plaudits for our home performances and form last season. Our away form was understandablly poor - 1st season in the prem - but the hope was that it would improve this season. Worryingly, our away form has become our home form too, and I think as fans who pay a lot of money to go to games, we have a right to at least question the manager's tactics. We haven't played well since the 3rd game of the season.

I'm not calling for Hughton's head, btw, and I don't really think very many are at all. Big difference between getting understandably frustrated with dire performances and calling for the manager's head.

Who are you getting frustrated with ? CH ?

If so watch the whole game again.

When 1 - 0 up against the 10 men. Watch the instructions coming from the sidelines. CH was constantly trying to push his players up the pitch. Take nothing away from Leicester. They were slick when they went down to 10 men and a lot of their passing was coming off and that doesn't always happen when you have a man less.

We did play around them on many occasions but they actually hounded the weakest footballers in the team - Our Central defenders are brilliant defenders but striding out with the ball is not their strongest point. The link between defence and attack is Dale Stephens. He creates the angles for our defenders to go through midfield and often gives Maty Ryan an option to pass to from a goalkeeping position.

Those angles were not being created by Propper or Kayal so we were having to pass up the wings and the wingers were if anything trying to be too offensive and losing the ball trying to take people on, so it was coming straight back on top of us. The wingers needed an option inside to play the ball to and Stephens wasn't there to slow the game down and make himself available for those passes.

The manager was trying to push the midfield up the pitch but when they pushed it out wide the wingers were in too much of a hurry to try and take people on.

As good as Leicester were in the 2nd half. We coped well with them. Our defenders still defended well and Maty Ryan wasn't overly worked. Leicester also got a lot of soft free kicks which won them possession back and I always got the feeling that the ref was either going to give a penalty or send a Brighton player off, so it was no surprise to me when the penalty came.

We now have 15 points and that's a good Return for the games played so far. After the first half of games are played and we go into the 2nd half of games. Just look at the table and the fixtures in the 2nd half of the season. Most of the teams who will be in the relegation mix will still have to come to the Amex. So in the grand scheme of things, the season is going absolutely fine. And the goal is to stay up and I have no doubts about attaining that goal.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Hughton is Hughton, his job is to keep us in the PL.

Very much this. He isn't a 'fan' - he's a professional football manager, employed by BHAFC. It's his paid job, not his hobby.

He is paid to keep BHAFC in the Premier League. That is his job description at the moment, and that is what is required of him.

It's looking like he is doing his job at the moment as we sit 12th in the PL and (on current form and results) we will still be in the PL at the end of the season.

How we achieve these results, to him, is probably largely irrelevant. It doesn't mean he doesn't care, and it doesn't mean he doesn't want to play like Man City, but with the squad he has at his disposal he has to play cautiously and to many eyes, negatively.

I'm a STH and I have to say I'm getting a bit bored of the way we play. I actually think I enjoyed the Championship more from an entertainment perspective when Knocky was ripping teams apart on the wing and we were steamrolling the opposition with our attacking football. However, the Premier League is the holy grail - and we're here...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This was a quote from CH yesterday as reported by Beeb. Can anyone explain what he means? As far as I'm concerned our 10 man performance was as different from that of Leicester as you can get

We were in a similar position against Cardiff and you know when you play against a team with 10 men, they're going to play a certain way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This was a quote from CH yesterday as reported by Beeb. Can anyone explain what he means? As far as I'm concerned our 10 man performance was as different from that of Leicester as you can get

We were in a similar position against Cardiff and you know when you play against a team with 10 men, they're going to play a certain way.

Hughton says absolutely nothing of interest in interviews and often talks in riddles. No problem with that as I don’t even bother to listen these days.

He is a gent and always builds up the opposition whilst restraining from knee jerk post match comments. Nowt wrong with that and it’s better than going off on one. Just means that he gives nothing away and merely tolerates the pundits looking for a reaction which they never get.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Well if you got involved in the conversations in the queue waiting for the mill hill PR bus, that was all about how we totally capitulated against 10 men in the second half and how regular that is becoming.

It is obviousl that teams come out in the second half, time after time, and have a right go at us and it is only the brilliance of the defence that keeps us in games..but away from home, it doesn't work. I am at a loss to explain why hughton cannot motivate a team in th second half when they obviously come out at the beginning of the game and play terrific football....maybe teams and managers suss us out after about 20 minutes and change their tactics, knowing that we are going to be negative from the moment we score.

Frustratingly isequero needs a goal...he is trying to shoot every time he gets it and twice or three times, Murray was apoplectic with his lack of passing to bette placed players. Maybe that is one reason we are not putting teams away...apart from knocky not firing and our lack of other players in midfield who can score.

In the cold light of Sunday morning, it was still very disappointing but if we do not win our home games and get nothing away, we may be in a scrambling situation come January of course without Ryan! Good job we got those 3 wins on the bounce !

Got to agree with most of this. The real question is if we keep seeing this, is it CH can't motivate the players,are the players fed up with the tactics or is it the players are just not good enough to change tactics during the game? It seems as if they're always waiting for the other team to score before we react. This is our 2nd season in the PL and everyone has seen how we setup but we are still playing the same way with mostly the same players as took us up. By now the other teams coaches will have worked out our weaknesses.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hughton says absolutely nothing of interest in interviews and often talks in riddles. No problem with that as I don’t even bother to listen these days.

He is a gent and always builds up the opposition whilst restraining from knee jerk post match comments. Nowt wrong with that and it’s better than going off on one. Just means that he gives nothing away and merely tolerates the pundits looking for a reaction which they never get.

:thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Perfect analysis of his post match comments. All his real thoughts are kept for players ears only.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

The prematch interviews are a masterclass in brick walling. He’d be a good politician, he says a lot but says nothing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perfect analysis of his post match comments. All his real thoughts are kept for players ears only.

this is true and there's clearly a public/private gap and rightly so. . but he was hardly bland yesterday about how "disappointed" or "hugely frustrated" he was post the match.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Stretching it a little there Ernest; Kante, Vardy and Mahrez were World Class that season and Drinkwater and Schmeichel not far behind. If Duffy and Dunk had played for them they'd have probably won it by Easter.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Stretching it a little there Ernest; Kante, Vardy and Mahrez were World Class that season and Drinkwater and Schmeichel not far behind. If Duffy and Dunk had played for them they'd have probably won it by Easter.

Vardy a million, Kante a few quid same as Mahrez so you can't say they bought their way to the PL title, they played to their strengths

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
It’s easy to criticise the manager, but yesterday was a dismal display in the second half. Yeah, Peel out thought CH but why oh why didn’t he make his substitutions earlier? And why make Murray play on when obviously in some discomfort?

That isn’t really the issue though. Newcastle showed CH the door when they were twelfth. Norwich did likewise when they were relegated. (Older users may remember the comments of Norwich fans when he came to Albion) But look who he followed? Garcia produced some of the most boring football ever seen from an Albion team. Hypia may have had a plan but no-one (at all!) seemed to understand it. So, CH, for all his faults, stands head and shoulders above those two.

Nevertheless, it has always seemed to me that his reliance upon fast ball holding play along the wings is easily open to losing the ball and facing immediate counter attack. If there is a plan ‘B’ I seem to have missed it. It’s not the man, or his man management, it’s his tactics. I thought that Spurs were ripe for picking and Cardiff seem to have turned into a bogey team – remember the Championship game when CH changed three players for three coming back from injury, losing the game in the process? And yesterday wasn’t much better: against 10 men at home and a goal up we could and should have done more to make sure that Leicester didn’t get back into the game. Obviously a second goal – and he had enough strikers on the bench – would have clinched it. The horrible thought is that his subs may not, in his eyes, be capable of much defensively. More negatives...

Our chairman has always seemed reluctant to change managers. Fair enough. But I do think some comment could be called for when CH next reports to the board. Bozza's survey on here shows 89% who responded believe that we dropped two points yesterday. They might be pretty valuable next year...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vardy a million, Kante a few quid same as Mahrez so you can't say they bought their way to the PL title, they played to their strengths

A brilliant achievement, possibly the most unlikely league winner in sporting history.

But Kante was and is world class, he just won the WC. Mahrez not far behind, Vardy at his peak, Okazaki brilliant, Drinkwater perfectly dovetailing with Kante, Huth and Morgan were two giants on form, 4 quality full backs in the squad with pace, Albrighton great at everything, Schmeichal immense.

They were streets ahead of the Albion as of now, scored goals from everywhere, with a brilliant mass defence, yet having so much pace and skill up front.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Don't forget Ulloa:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here