Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton in!

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
Point taken, I will retract my comments and never speak of this passion thing again.

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways joesomewhereinbrighton.

Joe actually puts across a coherent and valid argument, as opposed to your, "Bollocks to Hughton, Jones because PASSION" post. :thumbsup:

Maybe if you respected other people's opinions instead of dismissing them with "bollocks" or sarcastic comments, they would in turn respect yours.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Believe it or not, even the likes of Calderon was once employed by someone else.
What? Calderon is a Brighton lad, I went to school with him, he played for our youth team and worked his way up to the first team.
Sami got moaned at for showing none, Nathan gets moaned at for showing some. People cannot win.
Nathan has not been moaned at for showing passion, quite the opposite. Some are simply saying that passion shouldn't be the deciding factor when choosing a new manager, experience and ability should.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not you, but certainly every time he's mentioned Marshy (and others) have been slagging him off. Just felt there needs to be a bit of context.

I'm not slagging him off at all, I know he is a very competent manager, he just does not get my juices flowing in any way, I don't believe he will get the players juices flowing either, which I think is vital
After Garcia and Sami the last thing we need is another man who fails to inspire. I hope to be proved wrong.

In my opinion getting Newcastle promoted with that squad is not a great achievement we should be raving about.

On both occasions in the Championship he has been working with Premier League squads... we do not have that

And he is known for dull football...ask Norwich and Bham fans.... they also tell me he never uses his Subs until its way too late in a game.

I hope if he is our manager he does great clearly and will get my full support.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Joe actually puts across a coherent and valid argument, as opposed to your, "Bollocks to Hughton, Jones because PASSION" post. :thumbsup:

Maybe if you respected other people's opinions instead of dismissing them with "bollocks" or sarcastic comments, they would in turn respect yours.

Who yanked your chain, I know he did and I was being self deprecating in my response for being so silly in my first post about passion..... Yes I got carried away with the victory last night.

I wonder about people who tell someone off for a post that has nothing to do with them, why defend someone who does not need defending.....

Have a wonderful afternoon patrolling NSC.

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
Who yanked your chain, I know he did and I was being self deprecating in my response for being so silly in my first post about passion..... Yes I got carried away with the victory last night.

I wonder about people who tell someone off for a post that has nothing to do with them, why defend someone who does not need defending.....

Have a wonderful afternoon patrolling NSC.

Just thought it was ironic that you appeared to be getting arsey and sarcastic about someone disagreeing with your opinion when you simply said "bollox" to my opening post.

Fair enough if you were being self-depreciating, it just doesn't come across that way to me. If you were then I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just thought it was ironic that you appeared to be getting arsey and sarcastic about someone disagreeing with your opinion when you simply said "bollox" to my opening post.

Fair enough if you were being self-depreciating, it just doesn't come across that way to me. If you were then I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Bollox :lolol::lolol:

I can be childish, and could do with the odd punish: however if you look at the time I posted my first "Bollox" to you maybe that might give you an indication that I could well have been :whisky: and therefore talking :shit:

I wish you a wonderful New Year Sir :thumbsup:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I completely agree, if a club were paying me stupid money to do what I loved doing I would kiss the chairmans arse in public let alone the badge!! this loyalty thing is complete rubbish (with the exception of a few) a player / manager goes to a club and they always say what the fans want to hear, the only loyalty they have, and quite rightly so, is to themselves and where necessary their families, its the money that buys temporary loyalty, sadly!

You shouldn't assume that everyone sits at the same level on the pyramid as you!

http://www.businessballs.com/maslow.htm

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Just been forwarded this from a Norwich fan;

"Looks like Hughton’s going to be the next Albion manager. He was manager of Norwich for a few years and I don’t understand how he has still has a career in football, he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing and can’t do tactics or substitutions. Worst of all by far is the style of play- he’s the most defensive, dull, non-creative manager around. I can only think that because he was briefly manager of Newcastle people still think he’s a decent manager. He’s terrible. "

bit worried now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Point well made guys, point well made.

To be fair, other than the 'Jones or Hughton' thread on the second page, I couldn't see any other threads on Hughton.

I just don't get the negativity about Hughton with a record like that, the majority would prefer Jones to him, what?!

Which majority would that be? Those over-reacting to a single victory (although credit to Jones for that)?

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
I watched a LOT of Newcastle during the Hughton 'era' and I can't say I found any of it especially impressive or inspiring. He won the Championship at a canter with a squad far and away better than any other team in it. Most of the actual management and motivation was reportedly done by a cabal of senior players (Coloccini, Nolan, Barton, Harper, etc.) He wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world, but also has no record of actually being able to cut it when the going gets tough. He wouldn't be my choice, but then again, I'm just a mouth on a message board and a ticket for a seat.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Managed Newcastle, won the Championship first season. Sacked next season with Newacstle 11th in the Premier League. Harsh.

Managed Birmingham, finished 1 point behind top in their Europa League group whilst in the Championship, where they finished 4th.

Managed Norwich, sacked whilst in 17th place, they were eventually relegated. Harsh.

Not a bad record for the three seasons he's managed.

Also, taken from Wikipedia: When Hughton was dismissed as Newcastle manager, Kevin Nolan told The Sun, "Sometimes at clubs, when a manager goes, there will be some players who are pleased to see the back of him ... But everybody liked Chris. He was very popular, not just with the players but everyone who worked for the club.

Hughton in! :clap2:

stupid thread - he's garbage

every time he was promoted it was with far and away the best squad in the league

then he has a season of mediocrity, the owners realise he's actually useless when the going gets tough and he has an even playing field, and they sack him

with our position, he will get us relegated because he doesnt know what to do when he hasnt got a stacked hand

also you will realise fans from every club hes been to have been happy to see the back of him, and he plays shit football

anything else?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
stupid thread - he's garbage

every time he was promoted it was with far and away the best squad in the league

then he has a season of mediocrity, the owners realise he's actually useless when the going gets tough and he has an even playing field, and they sack him

he will get us relegated

Hughton is A Name.

Big clubs have Names.
Brighton is a big club.
Ergo, Brighton must have A Name...

QED.

Last edited:

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
What? Calderon is a Brighton lad, I went to school with him, he played for our youth team and worked his way up to the first team.
Nathan has not been moaned at for showing passion, quite the opposite. Some are simply saying that passion shouldn't be the deciding factor when choosing a new manager, experience and ability should.

But some are saying he is only showing passion so he gets the job and that he seems to show passion at any club he is at.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just been forwarded this from a Norwich fan;

"Looks like Hughton’s going to be the next Albion manager. He was manager of Norwich for a few years and I don’t understand how he has still has a career in football, he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing and can’t do tactics or substitutions. Worst of all by far is the style of play- he’s the most defensive, dull, non-creative manager around. I can only think that because he was briefly manager of Newcastle people still think he’s a decent manager. He’s terrible. "

bit worried now.

Yep, my points exactly

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, my points exactly

So let me get this straight. A single Norwich fan slags off Hughton, so he/she and you must be right!?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
has this thread gone intentionally surreal ?

It's about time.

tumblr_mapcozWdkO1qggdq1.jpg

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Yep, my points exactly

Not my first choice but, need a bit of stability and if he can offer this then all for it. We should keep Jones in some capacity and move on quickly. We NEED to stay up and think someone of Hughtons experience is the perfect fit for now. But Robinson has come back in to the betting today, so maybe not rule him out either.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Worth noting that during Hughton's spell as Norwich they defeated Tottenham twice, Manchester City at the Etihad and were 1 of only 5 teams that defeated Manchester United during the 2012/13 season when they won the title. Don't suppose Norwich fans were complaining on those days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here