Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Derision from Norwich Fans

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We had a 20 minute spell at the end of the first half when we should have scored. We didn't, Norwich had the opening 20 minutes, and then the whole of the second half. If you want to talk about other threads, how about the one asking how long it would have taken us to score? We'd still be playing now, John Ruddy would be asleep and Leon Best would still be arguing with any stupid enough to be close to him. And we still wouldn't have scored.

Norwich did, they won the game and deserved to on the balance of a 90 minute match, our 20 minute spell included.

Not sure I'd agree with that...although personally I would agree that on balance the three points went in the right direction on this occasion

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This has to be balanced by the Newcastle United fans holding demonstrations when he was forced out there, and the fine job he did in Birmingham.

If he had a perfect record he wouldn't be here, someone else would have taken him before us.

I think his tactics are a little negative, but on the upside, he has knowledge of this league and we have began to move in the right direction.

This is just as good an assessment as you can get.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure I'd agree with that...although personally I would agree that on balance the three points went in the right direction on this occasion

Yup, the second half was pretty even. The big difference is that they've got better players, who know how to score goals. And we haven't. Our defence is solid, our keeper is a lot better than he's played this season, the midfield three of Ince, Kayal and Stephens to me looks utterly delicious, whereas what we've got up front is ... toilet.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yup, the second half was pretty even. The big difference is that they've got better players, who know how to score goals. And we haven't. Our defence is solid, our keeper is a lot better than he's played this season, the midfield three of Ince, Kayal and Stephens to me looks utterly delicious, whereas what we've got up front is ... toilet.

I'd agree with all that ...but that central three have got to start scoring as well plus make more runs into the box like the one in the first half that produced the best chance from Tex...yet again the one striker was too isolated

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
He isn't Sami Hyppia and I really couldn't give a monkeys left knacker what the yokels of Naarwich think, he's keeping us up this season and we'll see what he can do next season with some of his own signings and a full season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd agree with all that ...but that central three have got to start scoring as well plus make more runs into the box like the one in the first half that produced the best chance from Tex...yet again the one striker was too isolated

That chance came from Kayal stealing the ball off Norwich, quite deep in their own half. That said, I would like us to get more players in the box. Hughton is sorting out the defence. As stated in the last post, I'm extremely excited about seeing that midfield next season (if we can keep Ince), but what we need is some decent forward players to take advantage of what they provide.

D

Deleted member 2719

Lol! We're a lot better than under Hughton. Several fans of other clubs & more than one manager have said we're the best team they've played this season. I thought we were nowhere near our best yesterday but still the better of the 2 sides... Hughton will have you finish mid table for a couple of seasons until you sack him.

This is my belief and has been the day we appointed an average manager. If we sign a 20 goal a season striker he may stand a chance of the promotion if they don't get injured.
But he was the most underwhelming manager signing I can remember.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That chance came from Kayal stealing the ball off Norwich, quite deep in their own half. That said, I would like us to get more players in the box. Hughton is sorting out the defence. As stated in the last post, I'm extremely excited about seeing that midfield next season (if we can keep Ince), but what we need is some decent forward players to take advantage of what they provide.

Exactly and he made the run into the box (with ball)

canaryboy

Mar 23, 2015
Great turn out by Norwich fans yesterday but surprised by the extent to which some of them clearly hate Hughton. Walking past the "legends" pictures outside the West Stand there was much abuse being hurled at his image and a couple of home-made anti-Hughton banners. Thought most people saw him doing a pretty good job there? Considering the short time frame during which Sami presided over our own mini car-crash, BHA fans have been gentle to him by comparison.

Norwich

canaryboy

Mar 23, 2015
Great turn out by Norwich fans yesterday but surprised by the extent to which some of them clearly hate Hughton. Walking past the "legends" pictures outside the West Stand there was much abuse being hurled at his image and a couple of home-made anti-Hughton banners. Thought most people saw him doing a pretty good job there? Considering the short time frame during which Sami presided over our own mini car-crash, BHA fans have been gentle to him by comparison.

Not quite sure what happened there....

Norwich fans can't fault Chris Hughton as a very decent human being but he oversaw such boring football. It got so bad that even going to home games was torture. Away games beyond the pale. He seemed to set out for a 0-0 each time and hope for a lucky break and snatch a win. If we went behind it was pretty much curtains. Trouble was there was ' Plan A' but no ' Plan B ' if, or rather when, things did go wrong and we conceded. Perhaps he was is cautious because he was a defender throughout his professional career ? To be fair to him clubs like Norwich are always going to struggle in the Premier League so you need a tight defence but there's a balance needed. Fans need entertaining too.

When he was appointed at Brighton you were in a bit of a mess and he's certainly the steady type to put things right. I remember thinking you'd be OK this year with him in charge and, barring a total implosion you now are safe. It'll be interesting to see how he does next term with a clean slate. The championship is more exciting for smaller clubs like ours as there's a fair chance of being involved in at least the chase for a Play-Off spot but you need to be a bit adventurous. If you get off to a half decent start I hope he is but it wouldn't do any harm to experiment a bit now, certainly after you're mathematically OK.

Finally a word about the Amex. I'd heard a lot of good things and they weren't wrong. It's a fantastic stadium and much better than most new ones. Reminded me of a smaller Emirates, including the padded seats ( which didn't get used of course ). Good concourses and the away colours decorating the bars and staff was a nice touch, as was finding local beers. Opening the bars at full-time is a great idea to avoid the scrum at Falmer station and although we didn't go if the videos put up on here are anything to go by the ' Mods & Rockers ' evening was much appreciated. The stewards and police were friendly as were the home fans and the whole day was great. B & HA have waited a long time to find a permanent home and you've at last got one of which you can be proud.

One small gripe is the price of beer. £4.10 a pint !! Even our notoriously canny Chief Executive hasn't managed to squeeze quite that much out of us at Carrow Rd although to be fair your beer tasted better.

I would want to visit the Amex again and if we miss out on promotion this time round I'll certainly have it pencilled in for next term.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Not quite sure what happened there....

Norwich fans can't fault Chris Hughton as a very decent human being but he oversaw such boring football. It got so bad that even going to home games was torture. Away games beyond the pale. He seemed to set out for a 0-0 each time and hope for a lucky break and snatch a win. If we went behind it was pretty much curtains. Trouble was there was ' Plan A' but no ' Plan B ' if, or rather when, things did go wrong and we conceded. Perhaps he was is cautious because he was a defender throughout his professional career ? To be fair to him clubs like Norwich are always going to struggle in the Premier League so you need a tight defence but there's a balance needed. Fans need entertaining too.

When he was appointed at Brighton you were in a bit of a mess and he's certainly the steady type to put things right. I remember thinking you'd be OK this year with him in charge and, barring a total implosion you now are safe. It'll be interesting to see how he does next term with a clean slate. The championship is more exciting for smaller clubs like ours as there's a fair chance of being involved in at least the chase for a Play-Off spot but you need to be a bit adventurous. If you get off to a half decent start I hope he is but it wouldn't do any harm to experiment a bit now, certainly after you're mathematically OK.

Finally a word about the Amex. I'd heard a lot of good things and they weren't wrong. It's a fantastic stadium and much better than most new ones. Reminded me of a smaller Emirates, including the padded seats ( which didn't get used of course ). Good concourses and the away colours decorating the bars and staff was a nice touch, as was finding local beers. Opening the bars at full-time is a great idea to avoid the scrum at Falmer station and although we didn't go if the videos put up on here are anything to go by the ' Mods & Rockers ' evening was much appreciated. The stewards and police were friendly as were the home fans and the whole day was great. B & HA have waited a long time to find a permanent home and you've at last got one of which you can be proud.

One small gripe is the price of beer. £4.10 a pint !! Even our notoriously canny Chief Executive hasn't managed to squeeze quite that much out of us at Carrow Rd although to be fair your beer tasted better.

I would want to visit the Amex again and if we miss out on promotion this time round I'll certainly have it pencilled in for next term.
Anyone who buys beer at a professional football club's ground is rich, an alcoholic or both FACT! Oh and even if there is 'an implosion' I think we'd still just about escape the drop. Blackpool can't catch us now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

[/QUOTE]

The bar I was in the drink was free but I had hangover from night before so not fit to take advantage of it....................Opportunity missed, me sadly thinks

Even in the Boardroom exec suite they charge for drinks at Carrow Road, so I think the Canny Chief Exec up there still manages to squeeze money out of everyone. I would like to see Norwich go up but part of me also wants to see a return bout when squads are more evenly matched next season, so got mixed views on that one

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Seems the sensible approach...this Summers dealings will go a long way to dictating our prospects.

and how they're used!

His dealings so far have been middling. Kayal is an obvious plus, but he loses points for Ledesma and a boatload for Best. They were probably rushed and without too much research but he'll need to do better and get his 5 or 6 spot on as well as clearing out a few that might be controversial to some - not going there btw :wink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Certainly what Norwich fans say about his tactics away from
home ring true. We have been woefully dull away from home since he took charge. I won't be going away again this season as a result.

To be fair we were pretty grim prior to his arrival too. Lack of strikers all season hasn't helped.

PurpleCanary

Apr 4, 2015

Firstly, what an excellent forum. About much more than just football! As to why so many Norwich City fans are not very complimentary about Hughton, It is certainly not because we feel we have any kind of right to be in the Premier League. Most of us are as realistic about our place in the football universe as I imagine your fans are about Brighton's.

The antagonism stems not from relegation per se but from believing this was a very avoidable relegation. Why is a long story (it took me 5,000 words to analyse a few months ago) but briefly the reason is this. Out of the three seasons we had in the Premier League, last season was the one in which everything - on-field and off-field - was set up for us to do best (and certainly to at least reach 40 points and safety). Including Hughton being given a record amount of money to spend.

Instead we did worst, dropping 11 points from Hughton's first season and 14 points from the Lambert season. Managerial failings, in wasted spending and questionable tactics, played a significant part in that. As far as the latter is concerned there was a pattern of over-caution and a lack of a Plan B, especially away from home. Crucially, unlike all our main relegation rivals, we went through the entire away season without once coming from behind to gain even a draw, let alone a win.

How much relevance there is to Hughton as your manager is arguable. He was right to be cautious to an extent with us in the Premier League, and presumably this season with you, when his only real aim is to avoid relegation. Next season will be the test of whether this caution has been forced on him by circumstances or is ingrained in his managerial make-up no matter what. He was apparently attacking enough with Newcastle, although he had the best squad in the division. And he did a brilliant job at Birmingham under very difficult circumstances - no money, a transfer embargo, and a massive fixture list because of the Europa League.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's too early for us to judge him yet except to say he's been an upgrade on Hyypia. We'll know a bit more after he's had chance to assemble his own squad. He seems an intelligent man, you'd hope that he won't repeat his mistakes.

PurpleCanary

Apr 4, 2015
Firstly, what an excellent forum. About much more than just football! As to why so many Norwich City fans are not very complimentary about Hughton, It is certainly not because we feel we have any kind of right to be in the Premier League. Most of us are as realistic about our place in the football universe as I imagine your fans are about Brighton's.

The antagonism stems not from relegation per se but from believing this was a very avoidable relegation. Why is a long story (it took me 5,000 words to analyse a few months ago) but briefly the reason is this. Out of the three seasons we had in the Premier League, last season was the one in which everything - on-field and off-field - was set up for us to do best (and certainly to at least reach 40 points and safety). Including Hughton being given a record amount of money to spend.

Instead we did worst, dropping 11 points from Hughton's first season and 14 points from the Lambert season. Managerial failings, in wasted spending and questionable tactics, played a significant part in that. As far as the latter is concerned there was a pattern of over-caution and a lack of a Plan B, especially away from home. Crucially, unlike all our main relegation rivals, we went through the entire away season without once coming from behind to gain even a draw, let alone a win.

How much relevance there is to Hughton as your manager is arguable. He was right to be cautious to an extent with us in the Premier League, and presumably this season with you, when his only real aim is to avoid relegation. Next season will be the test of whether this caution has been forced on him by circumstances or is ingrained in his managerial make-up no matter what. He was apparently attacking enough with Newcastle, although he had the best squad in the division. And he did a brilliant job at Birmingham under very difficult circumstances - no money, a transfer embargo, and a massive fixture list because of the Europa League.

It seems if Hughton, in a relegation fight, is carrying on his ultra-cautious policy, particularly away from home. In similar fashion to his record with us last season, in his 17 league games in charge not once, home or away, have Brighton come from behind to draw, let alone win. The closest to achieving that was at Reading, where you equalised before conceding again.

And away from home you have only scored three goals in nine fixtures. The upside of this caution is only five goals conceded away from home and five clean sheets. And at home only twice have you gone into the lead (against Wolves and Forest) and not gone on to win. Leads taken against four sides have been turned into wins.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It seems if Hughton, in a relegation fight, is carrying on his ultra-cautious policy, particularly away from home. In similar fashion to his record with us last season, in his 17 league games in charge not once, home or away, have Brighton come from behind to draw, let alone win. The closest to achieving that was at Reading, where you equalised before conceding again.

And away from home you have only scored three goals in nine fixtures. The upside of this caution is only five goals conceded away from home and five clean sheets. And at home only twice have you gone into the lead (against Wolves and Forest) and not gone on to win. Leads taken against four sides have been turned into wins.

Oh dear. One of the biggest criticisms of Poyet was that he couldn't win once 1-0 down (although that didn't happen very often) but at least he got several draws. If you're now telling us, that Hughton can't even get a draw away from home, once we've conceded, then I can see things turning ugly pretty quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here