Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] HS2 to be scrapped?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Veteran Guardian journalist Simon Jenkins in a long radio interview, was surprisingly against the entire HS2 project. His rationale made sense. If capacity was the real reason, for a small country why did it have to have TGV/bullet train speeds, at a cost of £100b. It won’t take hardly any cars off the road. It won’t level up, if anything London will gain again. Why not spend a far smaller sum on improving train networks across the north?
Because capacity is the real reason and now we have a pointless, Acton to Aston shuttle, we will not improve anything to fix capacity because there isn’t the space near Piccadilly. There will be no levelling up of train services in Manchester because there is no more room on the tracks around Piccadilly, it’s full. Being in the industry, the only reason that can point to why this has been cancelled is some Ernest Marples car scheme. There is no way to fix Manchester Piccadilly station without a whole new line.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm all for advancement for the greater good.
But yr comments of boo hoo, putting up with a bit of noise don't really work, if yr not in amongst it.
As I've already mentioned, I'm a mile from the HS2 development and the noise and lorry traffic ain't funny.
Constant road closures also add to the shit show that is HS2.
Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

HS2 phase one to Brum will likely open in 2033, but we know these things always go wrong. The Manchester section (when Starmer reinstates it December next) 2040. 20 years to build one line to increase capacity. The cost then with inflation, certainly not £100b.

I didn’t really take an interest until now, I favour railways. But this in time and money has got out of control. Some businesses and folk are getting extremely rich on this.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sky saying scrapped.

Well I'm glad someone has made a decision, if it was left to Sunak we'd still be considering the options after both me and him are long gone. It's his f***ing decision FFS :facepalm:

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
HS2 phase one to Brum will likely open in 2033, but we know these things always go wrong. The Manchester section (when Starmer reinstates it December next) 2040. 20 years to build one line to increase capacity. The cost then with inflation, certainly not £100b.

I didn’t really take an interest until now, I favour railways. But this in time and money has got out of control. Some businesses and folk are getting extremely rich on this.
Failing to plan for future capacity in 2033 and 2040 is what has caused an absolute mess of a system now. The infrastructure on the WCML is at bursting. You cannot sixtuple the line, that wouldn’t work, this was the way out of the capacity problem and it’s been closed again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because capacity is the real reason and now we have a pointless, Acton to Aston shuttle, we will not improve anything to fix capacity because there isn’t the space near Piccadilly. There will be no levelling up of train services in Manchester because there is no more room on the tracks around Piccadilly, it’s full. Being in the industry, the only reason that can point to why this has been cancelled is some Ernest Marples car scheme. There is no way to fix Manchester Piccadilly station without a whole new line.

Thinking about your helpful recent comments about Piccadilly, I wondered if it could be rebuilt downwards as a through-flow major station? Look at the engineering obstacles overcome for Crossrail, I think some other cities in the world have done this.

At great cost, but seeing that our railway projects now cost 12 figures!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Thinking about your helpful recent comments about Piccadilly, I wondered if it could be rebuilt downwards as a through-flow major station? Look at the engineering obstacles overcome for Crossrail, I think some other cities in the world have done this.

At great cost, but seeing that our railway projects now cost 12 figures!
That wouldn’t work, because the trains have to terminate at Piccadilly, and have to have sufficient turnaround time, and trains need to traverse the ladder to cross through. Cancelling HS2 will screw any plans, it’s just baffling that anyone who would be pro rail would support this, there won’t be funds for local rail and they can’t cope as it stands. The Number 1 problems in train planning at the moment is capacity and stock availability.

Reactions: A1X

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Richie Rich is continuing to deny he plans to scrap.

I'm guessing the decision will be made by the wind direction signalled from the latest focus group (one due to report at 20.00 and the next at 20.30).

If ever there was a decision made entirely on the basis of how each option will play among the electorate, this is it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

There's always someone who wants to make a quick 💵, but isn't that the way of the world at the moment.
Even our local footy club, Hillingdon Borough are using their car park as an overflow for the HS2 workers......

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The overflow car park at ZSL near Regent's Park used by HS2 lorries f****d up the badger population
there too. Another reason to despise everything about HS2.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
does anyone think HS2 non-decision is simply a distraction for media and public to chew on and burn time, rather than other issues? just seen BBC Breakfast burning time trying to get an decision out of him and wonder what else they could have been asking about.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
does anyone think HS2 non-decision is simply a distraction for media and public to chew on and burn time, rather than other issues? just seen BBC Breakfast burning time trying to get an decision out of him and wonder what else they could have been asking about.
Yes.

I think you are right.

Ditching the northern leg of HS2 is controversial but not really on a par to what the Tories have done to the NHS in the last 10 years or the absolute clusterfudge they’ve created in the asylum system.

I see that the Express is loyally pedalling their propaganda this morning on their front page. Sunak is of course, the ‘change candidate’.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The overflow car park at ZSL near Regent's Park used by HS2 lorries f****d up the badger population
there too. Another reason to despise everything about HS2.
Oh god this is embarrassing, I didn’t realised I’d been wheeled in my a parody account.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It stops them asking about whether Sunak has provided all his Covid Inquiry WhatsApp messages.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Fingers crossed the cancellation splits the Conservative Party (even more), forces Sunak out and a semi competent government comes in.
Probably wishing for a bit too much there though I guess.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sort of, I also think it’s a case of seeing what the reaction to doing it is before deciding whether to or not

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sort of, I also think it’s a case of seeing what the reaction to doing it is before deciding whether to or not
that was my orginal theory, expecting a "tada!" announcement during the conferance. its shifted to "taking time to look at" so unlikely anything this week.

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here