Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you answer the impossible.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Whilst waiting for our next Albion fix on Tuesday I remember this at school......in 194splash we had an English lesson,although the question was more about Physics it was an exercise in how we answered the question,
In those days of inkwells in the desk,pens handed out at the beginning of the lesson and collected and counted afterwards essays were a big part of the lesson. So here is the Scenario...There is a force that is completely unstoppable,it cannot be deflected,it is so powerful that it would go on forever...it comes up against an object that is unmovable,nothing can go through it,move it or destroy it in your own words write down what the result would be in the event of the two meeting (0-0 draw is not acceptable)
After we had finished we had to stand one by one and read out what we had written to the class...my theory of an almighty explosion was laughed at...but what is the answer....How would have you replied and what result would you have given?.....Answers on a twenty pound note and sent to me will get you top marks!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
To be unmoveable would require more matter than exists in the universe and equally, to be unstoppable, would require more energy than exists in the universe.

The answer, along with your £20 note, therefore lies outside our universe.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
To be unmoveable would require more matter than exists in the universe and equally, to be unstoppable, would require more energy than exists in the universe.

The answer, along with your £20 note, therefore lies outside our universe.
I'll pick it up one day....the whole idea was to get us to think and then put our thoughts onto paper...of course the force and unmovable object...(Lest you count my ex mother-in-law) do not exist,probably even rarer than one of Billy Painters goals...but hey ho....the answer lies in the soil!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Whilst waiting for our next Albion fix on Tuesday I remember this at school......in 194splash we had an English lesson,although the question was more about Physics it was an exercise in how we answered the question,
In those days of inkwells in the desk,pens handed out at the beginning of the lesson and collected and counted afterwards essays were a big part of the lesson. So here is the Scenario...There is a force that is completely unstoppable,it cannot be deflected,it is so powerful that it would go on forever...it comes up against an object that is unmovable,nothing can go through it,move it or destroy it in your own words write down what the result would be in the event of the two meeting (0-0 draw is not acceptable)
After we had finished we had to stand one by one and read out what we had written to the class...my theory of an almighty explosion was laughed at...but what is the answer....How would have you replied and what result would you have given?.....Answers on a twenty pound note and sent to me will get you top marks!!

I was once asked a question by someone that thinks too much, the question is as follows.
A train is travelling north at 120 mph , this train hits a fly flying south at a very slow speed,in order for the fly to change direction in it`s movement does it stop before changeing direction, if it does does the train also stop

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I was once asked a question by someone that thinks too much, the question is as follows.
A train is travelling north at 120 mph , this train hits a fly flying south at a very slow speed,in order for the fly to change direction in it`s movement does it stop before changeing direction, if it does does the train also stop

The fly as a whole will stop but some parts will still move and rebound, but the train will not; the effect on its speed will be less than negligible.

As to the immovable object and unstoppable force, as they both cannot exist this scenario cannot exist - so any answer could be correct.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I think the two colliding would rotate about the axis of the immovable object,which would in theory remain stationary as there would be no velocity,but the irresistible force would still be in motion as it rotated about the immovable objects mass.As the two forces combined to react against each other the speed of rotation would increase exponentially,causing a gravitational field to increase at the same rate of time,this would then collapse in on itself causing a black hole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here