Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well did Dobbie play?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Dobbie is a bit of a mystery, clearly has bags of ability doesn't always seem to want to use it.

Surely after Saturday he must realise last night was a chance to get a regular starting spot, but didn't play like it. Some great touches but also some very lazy passes and really should have scored first half instead of having first time shot as had loads of time to take a touch.

Still think Hoskins and CMS should start, but realise that's unlikely while Bridge is injured

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That's massively harsh on Hoskins. He had two defenders right on his back, there really wasn't a lot he could do. He did well to get the shot away at all.

Completely agree. He showed great control to even create the chance.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Still not sure about Dobbie to be honest and I don't think he added any more than Barnes. Sure Barnes had a terrible, terrible game on Saturday but Painter had a LOT more defending to do tonight, partially because Adomah did very well, partly because he lacked the cover Barnes provides.

That said, Dobbie is not really the player to play in that position, he's more of a slightly more Orlandi type and frankly I can't see him displacing Orlandi at the moment. To me, he's a more withdrawn striker being played out of position who has a tendency to take his chances a little too early. Thats not necessarily a criticism of Dobbie, he's keen to score goals which is great.

I stand by my original assessment that if Bridge plays, Dobbie is a good option because we doesn't need to track back, if Painter plays, Barnes is a better option.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Hoskins and Dobbie did ok, without necessarily being a major threat (either to our opponents or us).

I think hoskin's one-on-one is the sort of situation certain players would be more harshly criticised for not scoring from than others. If both start again on saturday, I don't think there would be a reason to be worried (beyond regular derby worries).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought Dobbie was very quiet. Looks a bit of a luxury player to me. That said, playing up front for us sometimes seems like the hardest job in the world

Very much this, which is another reason why CMS and his performances are very under rated by some people on this board.

I think Dobbie is class, and not at all a luxury player, just needs games.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We looked much better with Dobbie and Hoskins playing together.

Hoskins held the ball up well and looked like the man to lead the line, dobbie drifted inside well and did a job out wide, but i think things will click for him if he's given a change in the middle behind the front man and orlandi out wide.

What i did notice was that hoskins and Dobbie when playing out on the left, both drifted out of postion unlike Barnes, which is why he has been in ht eteam for so long, he does what he is told and does his job.

The comment above about dobbie not looking like he wants to play for us, but yet looking pissed off when he got brought off, is surely a contridiction?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Anyone who thinks Hoskins is a better option than CMS up front is clearly mad.

How about actually giving Dobie and CMS some game time together...

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
must say, not over impressed with Dobbie, certainly not happy when taken off........perhaps he will look to renew his career path with Holloway in January ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It was a very good chance and he should have got the shot away a lot quicker. He hasn't played many games and is still quite rusty, the chance really came out of nothing so it was pure instinct but it was pretty poor for a player at this standard. It didn't cost us tonight, but a confident Hoskins would have struck that from the edge of the area, he took too many touches and made it much harder on himself. I doubt he himself would even mention the defenders, he was away from them and should have scored.

He needed the extra touch to get it out of his feet and away from the on coming defenders. You are always going to back a striker to score on a 1 on 1 but IMO the keeper did really well as opposed to Hoskins nausing it up.

And if composure in front of goal is something that you need to start then I'm wondering why CMS has ever played for us. His finishing is dreadful.

As for Dobbie, he did ok but still haven't really seen anything from him to back up these claims that he is a world beater.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Very much this, which is another reason why CMS and his performances are very under rated by some people on this board.

I think Dobbie is class, and not at all a luxury player, just needs games.

Well the glass is very much half full with you isn't it.

CMS is MASSIVELY over-rated. Running around allot and giving 100% doesn't win you games, goals do. CMS for a £3m player is terrible in front of goal. I don't buy into this we don't play to his strengths theory as he's been here long enough now to know how we play. It became very apparent after his initial good start that we had been sold a bit of turkey and he's done very little since prove otherwise.

Hoskins on the other hand the jury is still very much out simply because we haven't seen enough of the guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here