how was your travel tonight?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sundabish1

Nov 1, 2009
Took 1 hour to get out of bennetts field car park. Shambles and poorly organized. Will flog the parking vouchers on eBay on the cheap and catch a bus next time!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Was slow to get going for some reason tonight, I got away in no time at all saturday and that was with another 5k there, it was slow i thought....

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The trains wouldn't be so bad if they all had more than 4 carriages!

seagull33

Apr 6, 2010
noticed alot of queue jumping tonite nearer the platform ,clambering through the barriers (these were the barriers near the steps to the subway not the central queuing barriers on the slopes) near the lewes bound platform, steward had no idea and to be fair to him he was alone and didnt stand a hope in hell of keeping anyone out the queue jumping , one bloke was asked and replied with F*** Off . Nice bloke. For some bizarre reason our Lewes train second carriage was half empty could have easily fitted another 30 or so on that carriage alone ......

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Train to Haywards Heath via Brighton, easy on the way down. Left on 90 mins as there weren't many trains advertised on thetrainline when I checked earlier - something like 21:45 , 22:10 , 22:48, so wanted to get that 21:45 as we thought it could be a nightmare. Ran for the 21:45 which was half full, got home at 22:45.

Checked the live departures on my phone as we left and there were actually an extra couple of trains running so will be interested to hear what they were like when people get in. At a guess I think the vast majority would've got away just after 22:00

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
Cycled there. I didnt even think of leaving till the final whistle - took a while getting out of the north stand. Bought a pie to take home. Found bike, home in Preston park by 10:10pm - easy. Cycled past the train queue, wow!!! I'm dreading the winter weather though, won't be so easy. Was a little wobbly after a couple of harveys :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Took one look at the train queue after the game and decided to walk. An hour and ten minutes back to Preston Park, including a couple of stops on the bus. Coul dhave been worse, and nice to know the option is do-able for midweek games, cos that's invariably what its going to to come to. Thank Christ there wasn't extra time though. Result!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Got there no prob, and it was a queue for about half hour for the train back to Bton. Had a pint in the NS bar after, and was surprised to see a queue. But I suppose, considering it was a 17k crowd, it wasn't too bad. On a cold, wet night it won't be so good.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
i used route R, only people on the bus going there were me, my son and father inlaw

on the way back same Bus, just took a gentle stroll back from the north stand and then 1st on the bus and got a seat, picked my car back up at cowley drive and back to peacehaven by 10:20

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
I just found the whole thing a bit disorganised. Also thought it was going to turn nasty at one point with people queue jumping at the stadium.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
My friend and I took the train to the ground but afterwards we were put off by the queue to get back to Brighton so we walked round to the buses. The queue there was also very long...but I soon discovered that no one in the queue actually knew what buses they were queueing for. My friend and I stupidly waited at the back of the queue but soon realised that the buses to Mithras House were leaving the other side of the roundabout and were all pretty empty. In the end we left the queue, walked over to where the Mithras House double decker buses were leaving. The bus already pulling out had about 5 people on board. The bus my friend and I got on had 6 people on board. Frankly it's completely crazy. There are no signs and no stewards at the back of the queue or directing people when they arrive.

We passed a couple of 25s which were packed full, standing room only. Sod that! When we got to Mithras there was a 49 bus waiting outside which we took to Churchill Square, about 8 people on board. Our travel vouchers were untouched.

So in future I will take the train there and take the P&R bus back to Mithras afterwards.

bognorandy

Aug 5, 2008
Bognor Regis
Southern really need to look at length of trains, train both ways to/from Barnham only had 3 carriages, and no toilets. Needless to say absolutely packed. Is it a good idea having trains going all way to Portsmouth with no toilets, don't they realise a lot of supporters will be drinking at game so seems a bit daft using trains with no facilities!

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
i went for a pint after the game, and then after 30 mins i decided to walk to the train station.

saw the queue and thought bollocks to that, and decided to walk down to the bottom of coldean lane, jumped on the bus, and home in 20 mins.

not too bad, my mate waited 40 mins in the train queue

gotaspareticket

Jul 3, 2011
I was out waiting for a standard service bus on the A27 by 9.40pm. I didn't get on one until 10.15 and that was a crush. One no. 25 passed but it was full. No other buses came by other than the park and ride ones. People were frustrated and angry, which spoiled the evening's experience.

There were no stewards or bus company officials and I feel sorry for the elderly people who were there and couldn't push their way aboard. It was chaotic and uncontrolled. The bus then passed loads of Albion fans at bus stops on Lewes Road (who are probably still waiting!)

I feel really angry that B & H bus company had no presence there and don't seem committed to getting people out of the ground and home quickly. Would it be so difficult to have a number of service buses waiting to take people into town, like they used to do (when it worked) on London Road?

Moreover, I don't have confidence that the major players are talking to each other about these issues, Are the club, Police, bus and train companies and council having regular discussions about the transport policy? There is enormous potential to expand the capacity of the ground but we need some joined up, creative thinking to make it happen.

I know that the experience of other grounds is awful too but transport problems don't have to equate with being a big club. We have a modern stadium and need a modern transport policy to compliment it.

Last edited:

Uridium

May 30, 2011
Racecourse and Mithras House buses barely used again as far as I could see. Mill Road wayyyy too popular

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
Took ages to get to the stadium, which was mainly due to traffic on the A27. The queue outside the stadium on the way back was a bit of a shambles and was very slow, will probably try going by train next match.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Got the train to Falmer as I went straight from work

As it was a nice moonlit evening I decided to walk back to Woodingdean on the path alongside the Flamer Road and, to be honest, I can't recommend it. It was so dark, I couldn't see anything. I startled one old guy who I thought might have a heart attack. Saw another chap take a tumble into a bush and I, inevitably, trod in some dog shit.

In winter, the club might have to send out St Bernards to rescue supporters attempting a summit attempt after midweek games

Home in 40 minutes though but will look into Route R next time

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
After the match The Mill Road Park and Ride was not good and the situation at Falmer Station even worse
Urgent action needed to sort out before night matches against Leeds & Palace
No chance of the stadium getting planning for increased capacity imho

Pre-match
Left office near Gatwick at 17:30, arrived in Preston Park area around 18:10. Got petrol, parked up (had a space in an office car park), grabbed a pint in the Brewery Tap.
Walked to London Road station, just missed the 18:54 which had space by the looks of things, the 19:11 only had 3 carriages and was absolutely rammed full. Some accommodating fans allowed two of us on (a real squeeze) and must have been around 50 left behind on the platform. Once at Falmer had a look around the shop (resisted getting an away shirt for Pompey) and headed up to WSU. Skipped the refreshments and took our seats just after 19:30. :thumbsup:

Mid-match
Had my first Amex Pie (Steak) – bloody lovely and piping hot! :thumbsup:

Post-match
Stayed in the stand until all the players and officials were in the tunnel, then made a swift-ish exit. Queued for under 30 minutes and got the 22:15-ish to Brighton (Direct). Changed at Brighton for the 22:33 to London Bridge. Off at Preston Park and walked back to my car by 22:45. Reached East Grinstead before 23:15

So no complaints from me. Obviously having trains more frequently than 15 minute intervals would be a massive improvement if it is possible?

I've used bus (Route R from Rottingdean for the SSC), train (Haywards Heath to Lewes, Lewes to Falmer for both Spurs and Donny), and car then train (tonight). And have to say apart from a bit of crowding/queuing tonight everything has been very easy.

:amex: :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports