Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How was your day at work dear?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Weirdly, I can't decide whether I agree with you or not.

Whilst it definitely should be expected that stewarding any event provides a fairly high chance of running into a moron or two, that very mentality ('it's expected') is probably part of the reasons that those causing problems do it in the first place, similar to those that create an almighty mess at the workplace then shrug it off as 'there are cleaners'.

It's not technically 'wrong', but there should be a degree of human decency in there somewhere, rather than just acting up because you can.

Likewise I don't disagree with you BUT peoples interpretation of human decency differs wildly from person to person. As Buzzer points out when you throw booze into the mix then that interpretation can change even more wildly where people who wouldn't say boo to a goose when sober might become slightly more animated and do stuff they wouldn't do in their every day lives. I'm not saying its right but if you put yourself in that position you've got to expect it.

I can't speak of any of the incidents the OP is talking about as I wasn't there. I've no doubt some fans did act like pricks but having been watching football for the last 30 years I've also seen some incredibly inept and disgraceful behaviour from stewards that has done little more than enflame the situation rather than calming it down. The original post and then the follow up boasting that the perpetrators will be dealt with at the turnstiles during the next game is quite frankly one of those situations and very unnecessary IMO.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Man-up and stop whingeing. If everybody behaved themselves, you wouldn't need stewards and you wouldn't be able to do the job you love. You should be thanking them.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Well I arrived about 5.30pm and after a briefing I took my regular place in the North Stand.

After the gates had opened one of my fellow stewards pointed out that there was a couple of people who where very hostile. No problems as we are not playing well and emotions are running high.
After Millwall scored one male stood on his seat and was told to get down.

###. We encourage people not to do this. If they fall and injure themselves we will be sued and it will be my fault. ###

We did try to explain this but it was impossible to do so as the group repeatedly told us to f@ck off, called us c@nts, issued threats of violence, pushed me and my colleague and bizarrely wanted us to sort out the Millwall fans when they broke through the steward lines.

Some other fans joined the group berating us, but other fans told then to shut up and get behind the team but apparently those fans were also c@nts and twats.

I also had coins thrown at me. One did hit me on the back but a padded coat stopped any injury. My supervisor was hit on the leg and we have identified the rich male who can afford to throw money around.

Before one male went home he took time to call me a w@nker a **** and a f@cking c@nt. and according to this educated young man the ref, linesman, Sami Hyypia, all the players and all stewards are also f@cking c@nts. Brief posturing in a poor attempt to get on the pitch followed and swearing a bit more atMillwall fans.

So yes a lovely day at the office dear. And of course this was all to help our lads overturn an early reverse at the hands of a mediocre Millwall team.

I earn minimum wage for being a steward but love it as I have been a lifelong Brighton fan (57 now). I hope you all have a calmer day at your jobs.

Oh and I will be there for the next game

I saw the ones that were doing it. The main one was being a complete and utter arse. He was trying to get the atmosphere going but rightfully the steward told him to get down but he never said to stop singing or tone down the atmosphere A situation out of nothing because the bloke can't handle his booze. The same people that were screaming abuse at you should've been thrown out for the racist abuse they were screaming at Hyypiä for sure.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Unfortunately some football fans are emotionally unstable individuals. They demonstrate this by shouting abuse, calling people cu#ts and just generally being a total negative wanker. Their 'ardness lifestyle is a routine cycle of self-loathing and being a victim in some way, so they blame all their suffering on anything but themselves. Don't let idiots ruin your day mate.

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
interesting debate and I think some questionable comments.

Firstly, I do not believe that stewards should "expect" to be verbally and physically abused. We are there to comply with FA regulations and to ensure the safety of spectators. If you have an honestly held belief that abuse goes with the job then I am assuming that a good kicking also goes with the job and I should expect this.

In all the time I have been a steward I have never ejected anyone. There is no policy to throw a certain number of people out each week and there is no performance indicator aligned to people being thrown out. I advocate re-educating fans to not call the ref a f@cking c@nt or a c0ck sucking c@nt at the top of your voice when the crowd is silent. I would encourage the use of alternative phrases.

I did ask one of the abusers to look around at the amount of young kids in the North stand. He said they should f@ck off to the family area. How lovely! Also some stewards do have body worn video. Not me I am afraid but I will get one

And yes I will be executing interventions at the turnstiles on Boxing Day. Something I regret As I have never done this before.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i have sympathy with those stewards who aren't acting like power crazed dictators which i am sure is most of them. changing the subject a bit, i don't have a lot of sympathy with people who bring along young kids to an evening game against millwall and especially if you take them into the north stand.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
T
interesting debate and I think some questionable comin your post.ents.

Firstly, I do not believe that stewards should "expect" to be verbally and physically abused. We are there to comply with FA regulations and to ensure the safety of spectators. If you have an honestly held belief that abuse goes with the job then I am assuming that a good kicking also goes with the job and I should expect this.

In all the time I have been a steward I have never ejected anyone. There is no policy to throw a certain number of people out each week and there is no performance indicator aligned to people being thrown out. I advocate re-educating fans to not call the ref a f@cking c@nt or a c0ck sucking c@nt at the top of your voice when the crowd is silent. I would encourage the use of alternative phrases.

I did ask one of the abusers to look around at the amount of young kids in the North stand. He said they should f@ck off to the family area. How lovely! Also some stewards do have body worn video. Not me I am afraid but I will get one

And yes I will be executing interventions at the turnstiles on Boxing Day. Something I regret As I have never done this before.
k

It's a shame that the youngster that frequent nsc have to read the utter filth in your post.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Two part Question for the steward on here.

Why was there no intervention when the Millwall fans wandered past the stewards towards the Brighton fans?

Response team needed?

Why did there appear to be such a heavy handed response to the one guy in WSL having a (verbal) pop at our Management team?

The Response team seemed to arrive pretty quickly there.

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003

Why was there no intervention when the Millwall fans wandered past the stewards towards the Brighton fans?

Response team needed?

Why did there appear to be such a heavy handed response to the one guy in WSL having a (verbal) pop at our Management team?

Both of these are fair questions but I am unable to answer them. Perhaps you could email Adrian Morrison who us the safety officer at the club. As part of the heavy handed response to the WSL ejection, I did mention that this is not a viable option under normal circumstances. One should not enter a hostile crowd. I, too, would be interested to know the answer.

And in reply to Wellesley, the "utter filth" you allude to is a direct repeat of the language all were subjected to on Friday. I assume when you talk of youngsters you refer to, perhaps, over 12's?? There are many under 8's in the North Stand. BUT it seems that some people believe you can act like this "because we're in the North Stand"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I agree but if you're going to take on the job of a steward then be prepared for what goes with it ... like you I wouldn't do it.

If sympathy is on the agenda then spare a thought for the youngsters serving beer in the away end. They don't sign up for crowd control duties but you only have to be on the South concourse for some away games to understand what they have to sometimes deal with

I go on the south concourse every game at half time and whilst they can be "rowdy" and experience banter I have never found any of them intimidating or aggressive either towards me or any of the beer stand staff.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

Whilst the idiots who indulged in verbal abuse, threatening behaviour and coin luzzing certainly need to be dealt with for the sake of those who have to sit near them, execution at the turnstiles may be a little on the harsh side.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
interesting debate and I think some questionable comments.

I never said it was right but unfortunately you have a part-time job where there is an expectation that you might meet with verbal or physical violence. That's why there's rapid-response teams, CCTV and police there. And that's why you have guidelines about what to do in volatile situations. I don't envy your job at all and I certainly don't excuse any of the behaviour you've described but you knew when you took the job that there might be occasions like last Friday. Thankfully for you, you have a pretty impressive support system ready to fight your corner (so to speak) if things get hairy and make sure that the wrongdoer gets punished.

Over the last few years I've seen some pretty heavy-handed stewarding at Withdean and the Amex that goes far beyond the grounds of reasonableness and unfortunately for the poor old fan there's usually a presumption of guilt unless by some miracle they can find proof that they've been wronged. Recent rulings by the FSF (I believe) against Albion banning orders can show this to be true.

Trust me, the law is firmly on your side.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And in reply to Wellesley, the "utter filth" you allude to is a direct repeat of the language all were subjected to on Friday. I assume when you talk of youngsters you refer to, perhaps, over 12's?? There are many under 8's in the North Stand. BUT it seems that some people believe you can act like this "because we're in the North Stand"

I can not believe you could not see the joke...........WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Well I arrived about 5.30pm and after a briefing I took my regular place in the North Stand.

After the gates had opened one of my fellow stewards pointed out that there was a couple of people who where very hostile. No problems as we are not playing well and emotions are running high.

###. We encourage people not to do this. If they fall and injure themselves we will be sued and it will be my fault. ###

We did try to explain this but it was impossible to do so as the group repeatedly told us to f@ck off, called us c@nts, issued threats of violence, pushed me and my colleague and bizarrely wanted us to sort out the Millwall fans when they broke through the steward lines.

Some other fans joined the group berating us, but other fans told then to shut up and get behind the team but apparently those fans were also c@nts and twats.

I also had coins thrown at me. One did hit me on the back but a padded coat stopped any injury. My supervisor was hit on the leg and we have identified the rich male who can afford to throw money around.

Before one male went home he took time to call me a w@nker a **** and a f@cking c@nt. and according to this educated young man the ref, linesman, Sami Hyypia, all the players and all stewards are also f@cking c@nts. Brief posturing in a poor attempt to get on the pitch followed and swearing a bit more atMillwall fans.

So yes a lovely day at the office dear. And of course this was all to help our lads overturn an early reverse at the hands of a mediocre Millwall team.

I earn minimum wage for being a steward but love it as I have been a lifelong Brighton fan (57 now). I hope you all have a calmer day at your jobs.

They are twunts mate not fans at all, there are loads doing just the same in the center of the N stand , we have moved as do not wish to be associated with this moronic behavior that is now sweeping through the N stand

Well don't do it,get a season ticket.:thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can not believe you could not see the joke...........WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH
What joke? Where?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Response team needed?

(Why did there appear to be such a heavy handed response to the one guy in WSL having a (verbal) pop at our Management team?)

No one should have to put up with abuse while carrying out there duties at work no matter what the form, or do you really think verbal abuse is ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here