Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to restore laptop to factory settings?

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
I need to restore my laptop to factory settings, does anyone know how i go about doing this? Its an Acer Aspire 5920.

cheers

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
With the restore disc. You should have got one with your computer when you bought it.

This has Factory settings on it.

Or it may be on your c: drive - under something like "Acer" ....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On start up I had a message which said for emergency start up press F8, I think it was, and it did it for me. It must be easy because I managed to do it. I didn't need any discs it did it all automatically all I had to remember was to copy everything I wanted to keep, to a memory stick.

D

Deleted member 22389

I used to remember the good old days when Microsoft gave you a proper disk so you reinstall your operating system.

These computers usually come with a restore partition that allows you reinstall Windows automatically. If you don't have that then your going to need to buy Windows or ask your manufacturer for a rescue disk.

Without getting to complicated, if you can get hold of a Linux distribution, you can run Linux from the DVD. Once the Operating system has loaded you can and get access to your windows drive so you can transfer all your documents to an external drive before wiping the machine.

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
cant find the disk and the f8 thing does not give me a reset option. :/

Its something like, turn it on and immediatley start pressing F8 repeatedly until it goes into the restore function. Failing that, press F1 or F2 during start up (it should tell you on the bottom of the screen when you turn it on) then select the restore option.

This will boot your laptop from the image in your back up folder on your hard drive

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I had to do this on an Acer once - I believe you need to press ALT+F10 during boot and that should take you to the recovery menu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here