[Albion] How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
West Ham Saturday most of the home crowd stood, never seen anyone in the Kop sit, hell even the Scum up the road don’t sit in the euro stand so unlikely to happen.

True, still don't want Brighton to on the wrong end of the first action against a club and you just know it would be one of the smaller clubs that get made an example of... All in the name of making an alleged good atmosphere and sticking two fingers up to the authorities!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
How About One of the Oldies

Heads up Albion………Heads up Albion
Up the table we must go ee eye ee eye ee eye oh
If you sitting watching come on and sing along
Knees up, ease up, don’t get a breeze up,
Knees up Albion
Oh my, come on Albion sing!
come on Albion sing!
come on Albion sing!
Oh my, come on Albion
We need to score a goal or two Oi!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Isn't part of safe standing the fact you still have an allocated space?

Yes. What I meant was that people who don't want to stand would move their season ticket to a different part of the stadium.

But also your point, there would probably be more movement within the stand with safe standing, to stand with your mates, and it would probably be lightly policed

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There's not many grounds iv'e been to where the atmosphere by the home fans is actually intimidating anymore , without wishing to be churlish i can't honestly say i even heard the Palace Ultra's last season , iv'e not been to Norwich Sheff Utd Man City or Spurs grounds yet but i can't imagine they're much different , if i had to pick one for the best it would be Anfield and the worst definitely The Emirates , now that's a library .

Atmosphere is best created spontaneously , there have been a few times at The Amex when it has been electric , all down to events happening on the pitch in the main , adversity is a fantastic ingredient for atmosphere more so than success , i think the first time i visited old trafford i was expecting a wall of noise , there was , but from the Brighton fans .

I naively thought that if you purchased a season ticket in the Northstand , you intended to be loud and proud on matchday , it seems there are several factions in different parts of the North with little or no connection singing different songs sometimes at the same time , then you have the shhhhhhhhhhhhh brigade , which i find hard to deal with and even harder to understand why they would choose the North stand to watch the game .

Good luck , i think it will be hard going to get everyone on the same page but it's worth a try .

Intimidating is one thing, but the racket made by Bournemouth a couple of weeks back absolutely benefited the team, seemed to suck those two goals in before half-time. The fact they did that off the back of 20 minutes of solid Brighton pressure was impressive (and a lot down to the bloke with the drum)

They were very loud at Villa earlier in the year, and Saints back in the championship felt intimidating, but I haven't been there in the prem.

Absolutely no-one in the North should be shushing. People in the North should feel obliged to sing.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
The games that the stewards aren’t so precious about sitting at the front of the North have always been the best atmospheres. Palace, Wednesday x 2, Arsenal, Newcastle in the championship are a few that spring to mind. Singing sitting in your seat is naff just relax the North and let everyone stand.

Yea you can’t sit and make noise. Let the whole stand stay standing. Making it unreserved seats might help.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
or
The Grand Old Albion…..We had a squad of men,
We followed them up to the top of the league,
And we followed them down again,
And when we were up we were up
And when we were down we were down
And when we were only half way up
We’re still singing just as loud

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
To be fair, many in my block in the NS do stand throughout. Life has become a lot easier since the stewarding became far less prissy a couple of seasons ago. Can't recall the last time that the stewards went OTT trying to make everybody (bar the back rows) sit.

That doesn't mean that everybody -wants- to stand, it just that they have no choice.

If you are in the North you should be contributing to the noise and atmosphere. I've not seen or heard of any complaints about people singing or standing. If you are minded to complain, then you are in the wrong place and should seek a seat elsewhere.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
or even:

Climb Every Mountain…….Ford every stream
Following the Albion……Up the premier league

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe there's an issue that too many of our songs people just don't know the words to? There's clearly scope for people to get involved (the "Albion, Albion" chant normally gets a good reception) but people who aren't familiar with the lyrics can't necessarily hear what the North Stand are singing and as such don't join in because they don't know the songs.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Maybe there's an issue that too many of our songs people just don't know the words to? There's clearly scope for people to get involved (the "Albion, Albion" chant normally gets a good reception) but people who aren't familiar with the lyrics can't necessarily hear what the North Stand are singing and as such don't join in because they don't know the songs.

"Withdean to Wembley", "Who's that man from Argentina" and "Oscar Garcia, he drinks Sangria" spring to mind as songs that spread incredibly quickly but I understand the issues over *new* songs. However... "Brighton Aces", "Glory, Glory", etc are all VERY established chants that everyone except the JCLs should know and get sung a few times at every game so that excuse is a little thin.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its all about the pricing structure. Since the Amex was opened the NS was the cheapest seats and this is where things backfired. If they made either end of the East Stand or West Stand cheaper than the NS then some fans would then migrate over to leave spaces for more vocal fans to take their place. All the time the NS is the cheapest people will not move to more expensive seats.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe the club could hold auditions in front of a panel of judges ... x-factor style
This and so many other similar comments are pathetic.

The issue is simply whether the 3 or 4 groups of Albion fans in the NS who currently try and mostly fail to create a good atmosphere could ever be able to move closer together. The club's recent unexpected decision to move STHs around in significant numbers made it a slightly more interesting way of wasting time on NSC than previously... :smile:

If some people in more central NS seats wanted to move to a block towards the NW corner then that could be made to work without upsetting anyone. About 50 people moving closer together would do it.

The real problem is not with the idea of identifying an area for this but more that no-one really wants to do it enough to make it happen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yea you can’t sit and make noise. Let the whole stand stay standing. Making it unreserved seats might help.

Yes, you can. I sit and I sing.

I would love to know how many people posting in this thread are actually in the North stand.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This and so many other similar comments are pathetic.

The issue is simply whether the 3 or 4 groups of Albion fans in the NS who currently try and mostly fail to create a good atmosphere could ever be able to move closer together. The club's recent unexpected decision to move STHs around in significant numbers made it a slightly more interesting way of wasting time on NSC than previously... :smile:

If some people in more central NS seats wanted to move to a block towards the NW corner then that could be made to work without upsetting anyone. About 50 people moving closer together would do it.

The real problem is not with the idea of identifying an area for this but more that no-one really wants to do it enough to make it happen.

Best of luck then :smile:

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
Might be nice if the North Stand could sing in time with itself... Or even the same song? Would save a lot of admin in moving people around the stadium.

I agree that the football on the pitch has a direct link to the atmosphere, and whilst we're all getting used to Potterball and the risky passing at the back, we're going to be a bit nervy. That being said, its a bit "chicken and egg" as surely a good atmosphere and support from the fans would be a boost to the players.

I was always under the impression the North Stand was for the more vocal supporters, but reading some of the posts on this thread, doesn't seem to be the case.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Yes, you can. I sit and I sing.

I would love to know how many people posting in this thread are actually in the North stand.

I’m in the North Stand.

Nearly half of it sits for most of the game and doesn’t sing, while us at the back continually try to get the atmosphere going to no avail.

Occasionally, I’ll hear a chant coming from the police box and I’ll get it going under the screen. It’s become more difficult as the NSK aren’t as loud as they were for some reason. I never hear them singing the older songs, which is a bit weird.

Even the support during the warm ups before the game isn’t as loud.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I’m in the North Stand.

Nearly half of it sits for most of the game and doesn’t sing, while us at the back continually try to get the atmosphere going to no avail.

Occasionally, I’ll hear a chant coming from the police box and I’ll get it going under the screen. It’s become more difficult as the NSK aren’t as loud as they were for some reason. I never hear them singing the older songs, which is a bit weird.
Would you and others you know consider moving across into an area with other people who stand and sing if it were possible...?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would you and others you know consider moving across into an area with other people who stand and sing if it were possible...?

I'm in N1G and can only hear those under the screen. If you move them, then N1H and N1G won't be able to hear anyone and it will reduce the noise.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Will there be a book monitor?

71G3xYGq17L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports