Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How To Get Rid Of Annoying Marketing Phone Calls

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
... or these wise guys that call you up then when you answer there's nobody tere cos they're just trying to establish what time of day you are usually home.

Register here. Takes about two minutes. Then it's :wave: to crap calls while you're watching Emmerdale. Hoorah!

Telephone Preference Service

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Tom Hark said:
... or these wise guys that call you up then when you answer there's nobody tere cos they're just trying to establish what time of day you are usually home.

ahhhh thats what that is then!! thanks Tom - I thought I was being stalked - well I guess I am in a manner of speaking!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It doesn't prevent them. Unlike door to door salesmen, there is no easy physical remedy.

Does anybody know how to link up their telephone to SCR? That should stop them !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't get any unwanted phone calls as we are exdirectory

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Yorkie said:
I don't get any unwanted phone calls as we are exdirectory
Same here. Although my bank still drive me mad by phoning me, trying to sell me loans etc. Even when your ex-directory you have to let some people know your number.

perseus said:
It doesn't prevent them. Unlike door to door salesmen, there is no easy physical remedy.

Yes it does! I signed up around two months ago after being bombarded with silent calls for around a month. I contacted my phone company, thinking some crank was having a wind up. I signed to the preference service. Since then, no calls....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gullet said:
Same here. Although my bank still drive me mad by phoning me, trying to sell me loans etc. Even when your ex-directory you have to let some people know your number.

Change your bank. I'm with Barclays and they have never rung me at home.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Zeitgeist said:
Yes it does! I signed up around two months ago after being bombarded with silent calls for around a month. I contacted my phone company, thinking some crank was having a wind up. I signed to the preference service. Since then, no calls....

had call preferance for a couple of years. just get the odd call now and again. (about 2 a year). tell them you have call preferance and it is funny how they grovel saying sorry. their company can get a big fine between £1000 and £10000 if reported for constant calling. and person who made the call could get the sack when their gaffer finds out.:lolol:

Last edited:

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
My dad says to them (when they are on the other end of the phone) that he will just go and get the home owner. Then leaves the phone off the hook and sees how long they stay there for:lolol:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Given this a go - thanks mate

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
TPS is good.. also

try a loud whistle, or ask awkward questions about their product and policies (ie, how desparate for sales are they??)

have they heard of human rights act 2002? i think its meant to protect the individual's private home and family life... unsolicited calls breach this law... (any penalties? no idea, but it sure works!)

anyway, since i'm online most of the time, hardy get anything,
though do get some spam on mobile.... this can be reported to your network by forwarding the offending text (vodafone, anyway!)

I'm waiting for one to 'phone up about conservatories or landscape gardening. I'll book them an appointment and look at their faces when they see where I live.

A second floor flat.

That will teach them to waste my time. :D :D :D

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They (the nuisance) have a computer that dials random numbers. I get more on my ex-directory phone line than on my publicised one. The ex-directory one is for important calls so I do not answer them when I have one too many drinks.

The service prevents some of them only. I only get two a week on random numbers, the only ones I get nowadays.

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
We wathed a program in Canada which said that most of our telemarketing calls actually come from India!
Really! It's cheaper for them to pay the long distance and have someone who makes next to nothing call you. We wondered why we kept getting calls from women with heavy accents saying they were Tracy or Anna.

Anyway as soon as I hear the accent I just hang up....

Gosling

Mar 4, 2004
South London
I used to be one of those annoying gits who'd phone people up when they're on the lav and try and get them to sitch gas supplier. The computer dialled all the numbers and was programmed not to call anybody who was on the TPS. Also, we were under strict instructions that if anybody we spoke to said that they'd signed up we were to apologise and end the call immediately. They were v scared of complaints to OFGEM.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Cheers for that Tom. Being ex directory isn't enough as annoyingly, many firms need your phone number (so they say) and then sell it to these parasites.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bhaexpress said:
Cheers for that Tom. Being ex directory isn't enough as annoyingly, many firms need your phone number (so they say) and then sell it to these parasites.

They are not allowed to under the data protection act.

I haven't had a nuisance call in over 5 years and I am simply ex directory.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been with the TPS for about two years. Some evenings we were getting five or six 'courtesy' calls a night. Since then like graz we've had about two and they've both hung up without another word when I mention the TPS.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I reported one company to BT. We've had TPS for ages and this sae company called about three times the first two times we were out but as we have caller ID we knew they'd called. When they finally did get us when we were in I took the company details etc down and had the phone number from my caller id and then told him I was on the TPS and I'd be reporting him to BT. He shat himself and hung up instantly.

I called BT they took the detials and that was the last I heard of the matter. I'd love to know what happened.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was getting calls almost every night before I signed up to TPS five years ago. Since then I 've only had calls from one company who I reported to the Data Registar and all of a sudden I got a grovelling apology from the Managing Director and no more phone calls.

TPS works and it works bloody well. I've not had a call for nearly 3 years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here