Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How to be offended without trying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Plenty of people jumping to conclusions about this, berating the woman, political correctness gone mad etc etc

Now, listen more carefully and note the banner Signs and Symptoms of Anaemia.
Now, say the same sentence (as the lady did) with a slight pause.
“If you are a man, or woman whose periods have stopped.”

The comma is important.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Plenty of people jumping to conclusions about this, berating the woman, political correctness gone mad etc etc

The comma is important.

Endometriosis, now that's another new ballgame :(

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But you’re also jumping to conclusions and with some who has ‘woke’ written under your name, I am surprised tbh

Transgender men can get periods - men born with female organs and identify as a man or non-binary but still get a period- this means menstruation isn’t just a female experience even though it happening because of biological female parts. This really is a thing.

With having the complete sentence or knowing what condition she is talking about, or the context, it’s impossible to make any kind of conclusion

(It’s all very well taking the high moral ground with others but make sure you’re not standing on a sand dune yourself. 😉)

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010

The comma is important.

Shirley, when using a comma and pausing, inserting an "a" between "or" and "woman" would be better.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Shirley, when using a comma and pausing, inserting an "a" between "or" and "woman" would be better.
The misleading bit is that the end of her sentence has been chopped off. She’s discussing anaemia; her first point being that the primary cause of which is a heavy period.

She then goes on to say that, if you’re a man, or a woman whose periods have stopped (ergo in both cases a period is not the issue), then it could be due to <an iron deficient diet for example>.

What she says and how she says it is perfectly fine, it’s just like any other quote taken out of context to suit someone’s agenda; it’s misleading and manipulative.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But you’re also jumping to conclusions and with some who has ‘woke’ written under your name, I am surprised tbh

Transgender men can get periods - men born with female organs and identify as a man or non-binary but still get a period- this means menstruation isn’t just a female experience even though it happening because of biological female parts. This really is a thing.

With having the complete sentence or knowing what condition she is talking about, or the context, it’s impossible to make any kind of conclusion

(It’s all very well taking the high moral ground with others but make sure you’re not standing on a sand dune yourself. 😉)
You can play the video, if you choose to.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Far better, to avoid any risk of misinterpretation, would be to restructure the sentence in reverse.

"If you are a woman whose periods have stopped, or a man ...."

The comma then becomes a bit surplus whilst also removing the unambiguity of the communication.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am a male whose periods never started ....

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You can play the video, if you choose to.
I did, several times.

I’m not saying you are wrong, just that the sentence starts with ‘If a man, or a woman who has stopped their period …’ and that is it. There is no context. The meaning could be ambiguous which is why the clip was posted as edited. To get the desired reaction. The pause does not preclude the meaning I suggested without having further context. I agree it’s not likely but it’s not impossible that she could have been talking about anaemic Transgender men just prior to that remark - There is an over-riding presumption here just based on the clip, that she was not talking about Transgender men, ie the shock horror ‘men do not have periods’ enough that no one had even considered it which is why it’s presumptuous and which is why I felt it should have been considered even just to rule it out as an interpretation. Transgender men would find the presumption that men dont have periods as a ‘cancelling‘ of their self identity. The comments on Twitter are laughable and ignorant imo.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I did, several times.

I’m not saying you are wrong, just that the sentence starts with ‘If a man, or a woman who has stopped their period …’ and that is it. There is no context. The meaning could be ambiguous which is why the clip was posted as edited. To get the desired reaction. The pause does not preclude the meaning I suggested without having further context. I agree it’s not likely but it’s not impossible that she could have been talking about anaemic Transgender men just prior to that remark - There is an over-riding presumption here just based on the clip, that she was not talking about Transgender men, ie the shock horror ‘men do not have periods’ enough that no one had even considered it which is why it’s presumptuous and which is why I felt it should have been considered even just to rule it out as an interpretation. Transgender men would find the presumption that men dont have periods as a ‘cancelling‘ of their self identity. The comments on Twitter are laughable and ignorant.
6 weeks until the next game...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I guess as there is no football for six weeks we all need to find a way of getting upset about nothing in particular.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are we now in a world where we are not allowed to listen to a whole sentence anymore, let alone an entire paragraph? If this is the new way of reporting then you can shove it.
yes, if it fits bias. we've been here along time. entire articles are written based off a line in report or quote without context, twitter turns this up to 11.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I did, several times.

I’m not saying you are wrong, just that the sentence starts with ‘If a man, or a woman who has stopped their period …’ and that is it. There is no context. The meaning could be ambiguous which is why the clip was posted as edited. To get the desired reaction. The pause does not preclude the meaning I suggested without having further context. I agree it’s not likely but it’s not impossible that she could have been talking about anaemic Transgender men just prior to that remark - There is an over-riding presumption here just based on the clip, that she was not talking about Transgender men, ie the shock horror ‘men do not have periods’ enough that no one had even considered it which is why it’s presumptuous and which is why I felt it should have been considered even just to rule it out as an interpretation. Transgender men would find the presumption that men dont have periods as a ‘cancelling‘ of their self identity. The comments on Twitter are laughable and ignorant imo.
Ask James Melville why he did that. Maybe he wanted to stir up controversy to make himself relevant?

The video provides a lot more context, from the lady who is talking about anaemia, and how it can affect people, but Melville has detracted from that for his own agenda. He's not the only one, as Neil Oliver, has quoted this and gone off on one as well.
I used to like his Coast series, but he is going all David Icke recently.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I blame Graham Potter.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Which video are you referring to - I can only see a clip of one sentence (not even that) - is there more somewhere?

Guess a lot of football fans will be paying lip service to LBGTQ rights in Qatar and getting on a woke bandwagon without understanding what the issues are. 🌈 Men can and do have periods, comma, period 🙂

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here