Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the feck did I miss Rotal Blood tickets for the Dome??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't worry, you'll get the chance to see them at a far smaller venue in 5 years time, once the carcass has been devoured, the hype rescinded and the emperors clothes have been removed.

Their management have done an outstanding job, good band but their popularity at the minute is craaaaaazy.

Fancy a wager? :wink:

Whatever you think of them on record, they are stunning live, incredibly visceral. But then I am a bit biased.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a possibility, they're like DFA1979 playing QoTSA covers. Very North American sound if you ask me.

You're WAAAAY too knowledgable about music to be making the DFA reference. They sound nothing like them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fancy a wager? :wink:

Whatever you think of them on record, they are stunning live, incredibly visceral. But then I am a bit biased.

I've seen them live, though not since they went into hibernation and were told not to play locally any more. I would have liked to but correct me if I'm wrong, they've barely played locally outside of TGE in the last year. It was at the first Late Night Lingerie (Christmas 2011) I think and they were clearly good then, I'd imagine they've improved. I then caught them again at LNL around a year later. Interestingly, when I just checked their Wikipedia, it says the band formed in 2013 and their website makes no reference to any history pre-2013. Why's that? I have it on reasonable authority that this is the work of their management who wanted to build a "mystique" around them. I think you know enough about me to know I'm not going to like that one bit.

Then you had the Arctic Monkeys drummer wearing the Royal Blood T-Shirt at Glastonbury '13. Don't the two bands share management teams? That all seemed very convenient.

There seems to be a thought that the two piece bass and drum line up is new. It isn't, hence the DFA1979 reference. I don't think Royal Blood sound like DFA1979 and if you reread what you quoted you'll spot that I didn't say they sounded like them, though I could have made that clearer. They wouldn't have got as far as they have if they did.

So, I then find it extremely disingenuous that this band that have this real "men of the people" image on one hand have CLEARLY been very cleverly worked on by their excellent management team. Their "overnight success" is anything but.

People can do what they want but a 2-piece rock band, with very little stylistic difference between their songs with one album out shouldn't be selling out the size venues they are. People could be getting far better value for that ticket money. However, where I might be wrong is the "5 years time quote." On reflection, I think they've tapped into the Stereophonics, Kasabian, Oasis market, which is again a very clever move as those fans are fiercely loyal. As long as they stick to this formula their popularity should endure and I think given the right tour (likely with AM I'd imagine) they've got a decent shot at doing something in the States.

There is nothing about this band that separates them from the crowd for me. That's fine if you don't listen to a huge amount of music but in all truthfulness, I'm not their target demographic. I'm sure they are lovely hard working guys but I can't stand the thought that I've been manipulated.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've seen them live, though not since they went into hibernation and were told not to play locally any more. I would have liked to but correct me if I'm wrong, they've barely played locally outside of TGE in the last year. It was at the first Late Night Lingerie (Christmas 2011) I think and they were clearly good then, I'd imagine they've improved. I then caught them again at LNL around a year later. Interestingly, when I just checked their Wikipedia, it says the band formed in 2013 and their website makes no reference to any history pre-2013. Why's that? I have it on reasonable authority that this is the work of their management who wanted to build a "mystique" around them. I think you know enough about me to know I'm not going to like that one bit.

They were pretty much a different band in all but name, with their old drummer, and barely any of the same songs. Very different energy when Swanny was in the band. I see your point, it HAS happened very fast but they have both been musicians for a long time.

Then you had the Arctic Monkeys drummer wearing the Royal Blood T-Shirt at Glastonbury '13. Don't the two bands share management teams? That all seemed very convenient.

It is what it is, a shout out to labelmates. I don't see the problem with that? No conspiracy theories required.

There seems to be a thought that the two piece bass and drum line up is new. It isn't, hence the DFA1979 reference. I don't think Royal Blood sound like DFA1979 and if you reread what you quoted you'll spot that I didn't say they sounded like them, though I could have made that clearer. They wouldn't have got as far as they have if they did.

Agreed, and the band themselves find it baffling. Also, they get compared to every single two-piece (particularly Drenge who they really sound NOTHING like).

So, I then find it extremely disingenuous that this band that have this real "men of the people" image on one hand have CLEARLY been very cleverly worked on by their excellent management team. Their "overnight success" is anything but.

It has been quite a fast rise but they are genuinely nice blokes and weren't born with a silver spoon or anything like that. They got spotted by the right person at the right time.

People can do what they want but a 2-piece rock band, with very little stylistic difference between their songs with one album out shouldn't be selling out the size venues they are. People could be getting far better value for that ticket money. However, where I might be wrong is the "5 years time quote." On reflection, I think they've tapped into the Stereophonics, Kasabian, Oasis market, which is again a very clever move as those fans are fiercely loyal. As long as they stick to this formula their popularity should endure and I think given the right tour (likely with AM I'd imagine) they've got a decent shot at doing something in the States.

I doubt they would want to. They're both into a massive mix of genres, and Mike's "proper" instrument is the piano. I'll be interested to see where they go but would be very shocked if they stuck to the same sound for years on end.

There is nothing about this band that separates them from the crowd for me. That's fine if you don't listen to a huge amount of music but in all truthfulness, I'm not their target demographic. I'm sure they are lovely hard working guys but I can't stand the thought that I've been manipulated.

Welcome to how the record industry works. Don't bother with all the bullshit, just enjoy the music and if it's not for you, it's not for you. This album has been very focused on a particular sound which makes sense when you think about a 2-piece, but I think we'll see them evolve quite a lot in the future. I hope so, they have the ability and the influences to.

As above.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As above.

Thanks for taking the time, seriously.

I have huge doubts that Warner Brothers will be interested in much else bar this sound. Major labels aren't interested in what's good they're interested in what makes money. There's already been significant investment in RB, people need paying now, not just for RB but for the countless other bands they've wasted good money on.

In some ways, I think we are actually in agreement. This is a good band that by virtue of a bit of luck and a lot of good advice have done well. Good luck to them but as you say in its current format it isn't for me. I don't have an attachment to them as a local band as they were never allowed to build up that kind of following.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for taking the time, seriously.

I have huge doubts that Warner Brothers will be interested in much else bar this sound. Major labels aren't interested in what's good they're interested in what makes money. There's already been significant investment in RB, people need paying now, not just for RB but for the countless other bands they've wasted good money on.

In some ways, I think we are actually in agreement. This is a good band that by virtue of a bit of luck and a lot of good advice have done well. Good luck to them but as you say in its current format it isn't for me. I don't have an attachment to them as a local band as they were never allowed to build up that kind of following.

I think we are, pretty much. One thing I would say is they have a good support staff around them, and the management I have met all seem like nice guys, they were courted by a few labels but felt this team were able to give them a bit more time and not try to mould them too much/force them into a specific box.

We'll see what happens, I guess. There will be a lot more pressure on the next album, and they're aware of that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think we are, pretty much. One thing I would say is they have a good support staff around them, and the management I have met all seem like nice guys, they were courted by a few labels but felt this team were able to give them a bit more time and not try to mould them too much/force them into a specific box

That's good to hear, as you say we'll see. I'm sure I'll catch them at some point on the festival circuit next year.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Well for what its worth I picked up the Album Saturday and think its great.

For 8 quid its a bargain.

Im pretty certain im going to pick up a speeding ticket while listening to it in the car !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm off to see them tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here