Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So out of interest, how exactly do you propose the club 'just ****ing do it' ? It's not like they can pop down to Tesco and buy a striker off the shelf. They have to find a decent striker, within budget ( I assume you'll be happy to match the kind of money Tony has put in if a striker is identified outside of the budget ), the current club will need to want to sell, the player will have to want to move, wages will need to be agreed, a medical passed (ah!) and no other club poaching in the meantime. Absolute doddle !

Other similar clubs manage it, so we can too... or are you admitting our recruitment set up is below par?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'll repeat my challenge from the summer. If it's that easy you do it. Offer yourself to the recruitment team. I'm sure someone who's got all the answers would be snapped right up.

Alternatively why don't you tell us all who you'd sign. Don't forget to detail price, signing on fee, wages, how you'd get the player's current club to agree and the name and phone number of their agent. I'll give you the medical pass and a work permit for free. Off you go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my job GB... as you well know... my job, on the other hand, I do well... let's just hope our Recruitment team don't fail again, shall we?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not my job GB... as you well know... my job, on the other hand, I do well... let's just hope our Recruitment team don't fail again, shall we?

So when you say "just ****ing do it" you actually have no idea at all how simple that is or what's involved.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Other similar clubs manage it, so we can too... or are you admitting our recruitment set up is below par?

You've avoided the question completely I see ! Some clubs manage it, many don't. In fact very few of the bottom half of the Premier have found that 'star' striker.

So I'll ask AGAIN - how do you propose the club 'just f***ing do it' ?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ryan and Gross are both proving to be exceptional value for the fees paid ( especially the five years Ryan signed for )

I can see why we got Gross signed up so quick before all the others

Propper ain't bad value either - Jose may well come good second half of season

Our recruitment team should be left to it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryan and Gross are both proving to be exceptional value for the fees paid ( especially the five years Ryan signed for )

I can see why we got Gross signed up so quick before all the others

Propper ain't bad value either - Jose may well come good second half of season

Our recruitment team should be left to it

I have no doubt our recruitment team have had no trouble identifying strikers, the problem is either selling the club to them or a shortfall on transfer fees and/or wages or both. At the risk of incurring the wrath of others it has to be said they have failed so far to finish the job...failed medicals and players changing their minds at the last minute are excuses. Maybe they just haven’t been given the funds to complete the job and that is not a moan btw, just an observation. We’ll see if the purse strings have been loosened over the next month.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
We’ll see if the purse strings have been loosened over the next month.

Given our losses of last two seasons and fact that in last seasons accounts we seemed to have started running at an overdraft for first time in years I would say purse strings are well and truly loosened already

Far better to sign no one than waste £20m to me

Any agent and player trying to play us off against others will get nowhere fast

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Given our losses of last two seasons and fact that in last seasons accounts we seemed to have started running at an overdraft for first time in years I would say purse strings are well and truly loosened already

Far better to sign no one than waste £20m to me

Any agent and player trying to play us off against others will get nowhere fast

Seem to recall @El Presidents referring to the overdraft as a way of financing expenditure in lieu of receipt of tv money from the Prem therefore not necessarily a loosening as such.

On the flip side I’ve no doubt that if the deal is right for all then we’ll spend the money.

There was an article on the Guardian today which looked at all 20 Prem teams needs in January, named targets (all BS as far as I’m concerned) and noting the expected war chest for each club which seemed to be no more than a finger in the air. (Ours was £15m yet Huddersfield was £20m because that works right?)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe they just haven’t been given the funds to complete the job and that is not a moan btw, just an observation. We’ll see if the purse strings have been loosened over the next month.

It's not the recruitment team that negotiate fees anyway. And the club spent and agreed to spend £m in the summer
With 17m agreed for Andone, 23m agreed for Janssen then unlikely Blooms cash was the blocker altho I doubt they will just splash the cash on anyone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no doubt our recruitment team have had no trouble identifying strikers, the problem is either selling the club to them or a shortfall on transfer fees and/or wages or both. At the risk of incurring the wrath of others it has to be said they have failed so far to finish the job...failed medicals and players changing their minds at the last minute are excuses. Maybe they just haven’t been given the funds to complete the job and that is not a moan btw, just an observation. We’ll see if the purse strings have been loosened over the next month.

You're not including all the parameters needed to be an Albion striker.
Many of which revolve around the selling club being a bit thick, as the Albion attempt to make money at both ends of the deal.

No harm in that whatsoever, in fact I approve of such fiscal astuteness, that is right up until the point it hampers doing any kind of deal.

But as we've sat through 4 months of that inevitable outcome, I fully expect a deal to be done this window.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not the recruitment team that negotiate fees anyway. And the club spent and agreed to spend £m in the summer
With 17m agreed for Andone, 23m agreed for Janssen then unlikely Blooms cash was the blocker altho I doubt they will just splash the cash on anyone.

I’d suggest that they are given parameters to work within though and maybe they need to be widened?

Near misses are near misses and the end result is what we got in the summer. It can’t all be down to bad luck imo that we didn’t sign anyone. If option one fails you move on to option 2,3,4,5 or are you suggesting we just give up if options 1,2 and 3 fall through? Sounds like it.

Happy New Year btw Chailey :smile:

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’d suggest that they are given parameters to work within though and maybe they need to be widened?

Near misses are near misses and the end result is what we got in the summer. It can’t all be down to bad luck imo that we didn’t sign anyone. If option one fails you move on to option 2,3,4,5 or are you suggesting we just give up if options 1,2 and 3 fall through? Sounds like it.

Happy NY icy.!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

So who was option 5? How do you know we have that many deals close? We had one deal tied up that fell through on a medical, another because of injuries at the selling club and (IMO) dodged a massive 23 million bullet with Jansen. That's three fees agreed and the clock just ticked 11 on deadline day.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So who was option 5? How do you know we have that many deals close? We had one deal tied up that fell through on a medical, another because of injuries at the selling club and (IMO) dodged a massive 23 million bullet with Jansen. That's three fees agreed and the clock just ticked 11 on deadline day.

OK, the failed medical was bad luck but scrabbling around asking for deadlines to be extended after 4 months given how the club tell us they have targets well in advance sounds like a cock up and desperation to me :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
OK, the failed medical was bad luck but scrabbling around asking for deadlines to be extended after 4 months given how the club tell us they have targets well in advance sounds like a cock up and desperation to me :shrug:

I thought you said it was lack of cash Icy ? (That's Newcastle - ask Rafa)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Sorry, but you said if one option fails you move on to the next. We had bad luck with 2 injuries and moved on to the next option. That's what you said you wanted in your previous post :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, but you said if one option fails you move on to the next. We had bad luck with 2 injuries and moved on to the next option. That's what you said you wanted in your previous post :shrug:

We had over four months to get it sorted...I didn’t expect us to be asking for extensions. Did you?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We had over four months to get it sorted...I didn’t expect us to be asking for extensions. Did you?

If we were moving on to options 4 & 5 then yes I would. The bit you're ignoring is that we *had* a deal and it fell through at the last minute.

This was well covered by PB on the Albion Roar and I'm sure you'd agree he was honest about it.

Bottom line is that our window wasn't good enough and we're having to adjust because of it but I'm happy to accept it was bad luck rather than bad judgment. In hindsight signing Jansen would have been bad judgment

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Failure to agree to pay the going rate more likely.

None of the three transfers that failed in the summer were due to that (andone , dwamena, Janssen)

If anything we'd agreed over inflated fees with these three players/clubs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here