Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Best not get too excited about a striker.

CH is here. Re: January window: "We have probably surprised ourselves a little bit. Anything we do will be minimal. The striker one is the one that has been mentioned, because of the summer (not signing one), but it would have to be right for us to do anything." #bhafc

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

CH is here. Re: January window: "We have probably surprised ourselves a little bit. Anything we do will be minimal. The striker one is the one that has been mentioned, because of the summer (not signing one), but it would have to be right for us to do anything." #bhafc

Under the radar, he knows we must get one in or we are going down.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Failing to get a striker in when we have a statistically proven shocking goal return would be completely unacceptable.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Failing to get a striker in when we have a statistically proven shocking goal return would be completely unacceptable.

Well said, and I suspect Chris knows this...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Of course they're looking to sign a striker. Nothing in this bland quote suggests otherwise.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is it better to sign your no.2 target early in the window than wait and potentially lose both 1st and 2nd at the end? After our continual failure to sign strikers season after season, I think i’d go with no.2 now if they want to sign and start Jan 1st. Blow whoever might be interested with a better evaluation. So many factors might mean a bigger signing doesn’t work out anyway. Just get the business done ASAP and if that means a 2nd choice player then so be it. They’ll take 18 games to get match fit and used to thenAlbion tactics no matter who it is! That’s if CH plays them...;)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You'd hardly expect Chris to say that he's desperate for a striker and the club will move heaven and earth to get one. I think any selling club will be well aware of our situation anyway.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
"it’s a complete myth that the best transfer business is always done early; if transfers can be done early in the window, they will be. If transfers are not done early, there’s usually a very good reason.

- equally, it’s a myth that transfers late in the window are “panic buys” or the player must have been “low on our list”; it can be the complete opposite: sometimes transfers just take all the time available."

It's not a myth though is it?

Huddersfield did their business early, spent less than us, and are above us in the league. They're above Newcastle too, who also failed in KEY areas of their squad in the Summer. What more could one ask for to show that it's not a myth?

In all seriousness outside of this, how much does the club pay you to show up in the windows peddling your BHA can do absolutely nothing wrong propaganda? It's annoying and feels forced, but by God is it consistent.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's not a myth though is it?

Huddersfield did their business early, spent less than us, and are above us in the league. They're above Newcastle too, who also failed in KEY areas of their squad in the Summer. What more could one ask for to show that it's not a myth?

In all seriousness outside of this, how much does the club pay you to show up in the windows peddling your BHA can do absolutely nothing wrong propaganda? It's annoying and feels forced, but by God is it consistent.

Double at Xmas !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it better to sign your no.2 target early in the window than wait and potentially lose both 1st and 2nd at the end? After our continual failure to sign strikers season after season, I think i’d go with no.2 now if they want to sign and start Jan 1st. Blow whoever might be interested with a better evaluation. So many factors might mean a bigger signing doesn’t work out anyway. Just get the business done ASAP and if that means a 2nd choice player then so be it. They’ll take 18 games to get match fit and used to thenAlbion tactics no matter who it is! That’s if CH plays them...;)

By the time the last window closed,I think we were possibly into double figures choice wise and we still ended up asking for the deadline to be extended, only to have another deal fall flat on it’s face. Obviously it was the player’s fault....I still maintain we’ll end up getting relegated if we fail in the striker market again, get a decent one in and we could easily end up top half.

Our season rests on being able to sign that elusive striker imo.

Last edited:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
By the time the last window closed,I think we were possibly into double figures choice wise and we still ended up asking for the deadline to be extended, only to have another deal fall flat on it’s face. Obviously it was the player’s fault....I still maintain we’ll end up getting relegated if we fail in the striker market again, get a decent one in and we could easily end up top half.

Very well said, let’s hope it’s sorted sharpish. Can’t keep looking for our current strike force to suddenly morph into a shit hot PL outfit. No disrespect at all, but they just are not going to score the amount of goals needed to keep us up.
Our season rests on being able to sign that elusive striker imo

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
equally, it’s a myth that transfers late in the window are “panic buys” or the player must have been “low on our list”; it can be the complete opposite: sometimes transfers just take all the time available."

Just because some transfers can take a long time doesn't make it a myth that other late deals are panic buys or low priority.

If anyone but PB had made the comment that you had quoted, you would have replied in a similar vein to my response in para above. I think this is what annoys people so much because we all know you're a knowledgeable chap with lots of facts at your fingertips and you've often used them in defence of the club but when it comes to those rare occasions when the club make comments that are palpably untrue, you've never once questioned them. In fact, as with the case here, you're happy to stand by them.

Fair enough, if you feel like you need to defend the club at all times and apologies if I'm reading this wrong but it comes across that you see yourself as a voice of reason providing some objectivity to the debate. It's times like this that you're being far from objective.

D

Deleted member 2719

There can also be the situation where an Albion member of staff simply sees a player at club premises, as happened when Joe Gomez visited Lancing in the Summer. Someone saw him there and the news reached NSC.

This is where Barber is naive, has he never heard of the Little Chef.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just because some transfers can take a long time doesn't make it a myth that other late deals are panic buys or low priority.

If anyone but PB had made the comment that you had quoted, you would have replied in a similar vein to my response in para above. I think this is what annoys people so much because we all know you're a knowledgeable chap with lots of facts at your fingertips and you've often used them in defence of the club but when it comes to those rare occasions when the club make comments that are palpably untrue, you've never once questioned them. In fact, as with the case here, you're happy to stand by them.

Fair enough, if you feel like you need to defend the club at all times and apologies if I'm reading this wrong but it comes across that you see yourself as a voice of reason providing some objectivity to the debate. It's times like this that you're being far from objective.

I see myself as a dull contrarian most of the time and probably a tiresome pedant for the rest. Of course PB isn't beyond criticism for transfer windows ( see Elvis Manu for starters) but he's right to call out some of the froth and nonsense written about em.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see myself as a dull contrarian most of the time and probably a tiresome pedant for the rest. Of course PB isn't beyond criticism for transfer windows ( see Elvis Manu for starters) but he's right to call out some of the froth and nonsense written about em.

I challenge you to dig out a single post over the last few years where you have in any way criticised the club, what you have typed above is the closest,I reckon, that you have come :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I challenge you to dig out a single post over the last few years where you have in any way criticised the club, what you have typed above is the closest,I reckon, that you have come :smile:

Am I on NSC trial ICY ? Can I call any witnesses ?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

Sometimes i wonder if you are actually Paul Barber.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

You are anything but pedantic when you re-post incorrect statements from the club without any form of criticism. It's not contrarian either because that word presupposes that you have an unpopular opinion. You're not expressing any opinion here though, just re-hashing the club line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here