Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Personally I do agree with everything in there
everything in there is factual but from the comparative way it's written, it came across as a bit RDZ= good, GP= bad. like obviously that mentality is something which has been fostered since RDZ came in, but I don't agree with the inference that we we're only now in a position to properly compete now we have a different type of manager

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.90min.com/posts/how-roberto-de-zerbi-is-changing-the-mentality-of-brighton

interesting piece about how De Zerbi has reacted differently to how Potter would to disappointing results.

Don't agree with everything in there, and I don't think Potter's tendancy to play down certain results stunted our achievement in any way, but it is worth noting the difference in mentality between our current and former manager.

There's a bit of difference but don't know how much. According to De Zerbi:
- Brighton played "Fantastic" against Tottenham (loss 0-1) and he "congratulated the players".
- Brighton played "Good but not fantastic" against Charlton (0-0)
- About the loss vs Villa: "To lose is not a big problem. It is not a big problem to lose one game like Villa."
- Brighton played "a good game" against Brentford but "this is football".
- About Arsenal "I can say nothing better of the players' performance".

Sorry, but I struggle to see the point the article writer is trying to make. Both GP and RDZ are people who don't throw the players under the bus. When the team lose or draw games, they say that the boys played well but (sometimes) could have done better.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
https://www.90min.com/posts/how-roberto-de-zerbi-is-changing-the-mentality-of-brighton

interesting piece about how De Zerbi has reacted differently to how Potter would to disappointing results.

Don't agree with everything in there, and I don't think Potter's tendancy to play down certain results stunted our achievement in any way, but it is worth noting the difference in mentality between our current and former manager.

Its a great article and encapsulates the mentality RDZ is installing in this Brighton team.

We are fecking brilliant.

:yes: :bloom::mitoma2:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
There's a bit of difference but don't know how much. According to De Zerbi:
- Brighton played "Fantastic" against Tottenham (loss 0-1) and he "congratulated the players".
- Brighton played "Good but not fantastic" against Charlton (0-0)
- About the loss vs Villa: "To lose is not a big problem. It is not a big problem to lose one game like Villa."
- Brighton played "a good game" against Brentford but "this is football".
- About Arsenal "I can say nothing better of the players' performance".

Sorry, but I struggle to see the point the article writer is trying to make. Both GP and RDZ are people who don't throw the players under the bus. When the team lose or draw games, they say that the boys played well but (sometimes) could have done better.

Nope, sorry but there is a HELL of a change between RDZ and Potter's mentality. Article has a small pop at Potter but goes into length about the change of RDZs mentality and all you can do is nitpick.

How is the light up Grahams arse nowadays?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Maybe time to pull the trigger and offer De Zerbi a new, improved contract? Appreciate it's still early days but we offered Potter the same after c. 6 months...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Maybe time to pull the trigger and offer De Zerbi a new, improved contract? Appreciate it's still early days but we offered Potter the same after c. 6 months...
Potter was given his new contract after 13 league games, with us sitting 12th in the Premier League on 15 points. Bournemouth was De Zerbi's 14th PL game and we've picked up 21 points in those 14 games. Going by the standards set by Potter he more than deserves a new contract.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When I saw RDZ’s substitutions and the subsequent positions that the players had taken up, I knew that the draw had gone as a possible result.

It was brilliant, brave and incredibly entertaining. This game was a ‘Potter draw’. A game we’d not have lost in a million years under the last manager but not have won either. RDZ made the difference.

However, with this swashbuckling approach comes risk. If he does this at Selhurst Park and they score a winner on the break, will he still be a hero in everyone’s eyes? We will throw away a number of draws this season with Roberto being so incredibly aggressive with his changes but I’m happy to take those hits because the glory of 3 points (in our current position) is worth throwing away a secured single point.

May the marauding continue!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

https://football-italia.net/brighton-included-release-clause-in-de-zerbis-contract/

As reported by Italian journalist Daniele Longo, Brighton inserted a €13m release clause in De Zerbi’s four-year contract, a sign of their belief in the former Sassuolo coach.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this.

Just read De Zerbi has a release clause of £13 million. Inter and AC Milan fans arguing about trying to get him as manager and squabbling whether either could afford him. Summed up nicely by one fan 'More to the point, why would he want to leave the Premier League?' Hahaha! Unbelievable. If you told me 20 years ago that the Milan club fans would be jealous of our manager and where we were in the football world, I would have thought you stark raving crazy!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
there will be chat at some point along lines of, we will sign you these four new players you want and you sign this new contract with more pay and a bigger release clause ...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just read De Zerbi has a release clause of £13 million. Inter and AC Milan fans arguing about trying to get him as manager and squabbling whether either could afford him. Summed up nicely by one fan 'More to the point, why would he want to leave the Premier League?' Hahaha! Unbelievable. If you told me 20 years ago that the Milan club fans would be jealous of our manager and where we were in the football world, I would have thought you stark raving crazy!
We're not stupid to think that one day he'll return back to Italy, because he said he will at some point.
Weve got someone special here, so let's make the most of the time we've got him.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Just posted this on the other thread. His friend has advised him (photo taken after the Bournmouth game) not to return to Italy...

Screenshot_20230205-084452~5.png

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Another interesting deep dive piece on our style from Sky Sports

But our possession stats under De Zerbi are off the scale

Screenshot_20230215-114802.png

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
RDZ has upped the levels of expectation on his players, but its important to remember that there are different solutions needed at different times and to different problems. Potter deliberately aimed to take pressure of expectation off his players and that was what they needed at that time. Don't get too high with a win, don't get too low with a loss was a mantra from the Chris Hughton era, but Potter carried on this concern for performances, but comparative disregard for results.

As the quotes that @Swansman posted above would suggest, RDZ is also all about performances first. The pressure he is putting on players is to work to improve performances, individually, and as a team. He is in the position to talk about Europe because of the effectiveness of his approach in producing results, but also because, when he came to the club, he found a group of players willing to work on anything that would improve them and the team. Potter instilled this in them.

As with everything with this club in recent years, small and sustainable steps built on steps and we'll see where Gus's ceiling really is.

Last edited:

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022

Fantastic article 100% on point.

"For an Albion manager to think the club capable of challenging for honours, qualifying for Europe and competing with the biggest clubs in English football is a mindset the Amex has not seen before."

Its mindset lagging on here as well, understandable on the way down but on the rise for the last 15 odd years it needs to change.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I don’t like where this is heading. Just before Potter was coaxed from us the mainstream media started to wake up to what was happening here and report in depth on it. Back then it seemed to be believed that it was largely down to Potter, hence that yank prick opening his wallet.
I think now there is a common belief that the club as a whole is responsible, but the manager is still hugely central. Stats like above and growing plaudits for the “we’re f***ing brilliant” style under RDZ mean the same groundswell is going to reoccur. Which worries me when you’ve got clubs like Spurs who are playing shit football, a growing number of their fans don’t like their manager and their manager is a moody twat. The obvious next step is the lazy look to the south coast to our next shiny thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here