Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How Refreshing!...Ash Barty.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that’s unfair to say she’s not interested in the sport. I think she achieved everything she wanted to and has clearly said that what it takes to remain at the highest level is something she doesn’t want to do, or more importantly something she doesn’t have left in her.

Its worth noting there has been a debate in most professional sports in recent years about the impact on mental health. The elite level of any sport is mentally demanding. Tennis in particular there’s a host of ex-players who have talked about how hard the tour is, how lonely it can be. It easy for everyone on the outside to criticise her decision when we don’t see or experience any of the negative things that impact on her.

There is great bit in the ex England cricketer, Marcus Trescothick’s autobiography where he talks about his breakdown. He explains how there’s a threshold that most people are prepared to go to before enough is enough and they’ll quit something that is negatively affecting them. For some people its really low and when something negative happens they are happy to just walk away. For other’s the threshold is higher and they can tolerate more, but there will still be a point where they quit. And then there are people who are afraid to quit for a variety of reasons, such as not wanting to let other people down etc. They will push themselves beyond that threshold, and keeping doing things that negatively affect them. These people are the ones that most likely to have breakdowns. I think what we have to take from that, is everyone has a different threshold, and we should respect the decision when someone says “I’ve had enough”. And we definitely shouldn’t pressure them or shame them for making that decision.

I don't think it is unfair. She's walked away once, only to return because she favoured the solo nature of the sport. She's comfortably the best female tennis player in the world right now, she won Wimbledon at a canter and was barely troubled at the Australian Open either. I think it's a shame someone so talented has decided to retire already but that's an opinion from an observer. Of course, she has to do what is right for her - only she'll know what that is. I haven't criticised her decision, it's hers to make.

Normally when a great talent walks away from the fray and is recognised as such there is sadness. The early departure from football of Peter Knowles. The sad demise of George Best.

And yet you won't miss her?

Care to explain? :shrug:

Yes, the explanation is I won't miss her. Thanks for asking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Like Joe Gatting?:whistle:

You jest, but yes, like Joe Gatting.

Someone good enough to play football and cricket professionally IS exceptionally talented at each, given the level of competition to make it even as far as he did.

Sure in his case, he wasn't quite exceptional enough, to sustain a career, but his achievements still put him above 99.99% of those who'd want to do it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well yes...and that's pretty much alluded to in the OP.

She has already played Big Bash cricket in Australia - could go back to that. Her golf handicap is 4, so huge improvement needed there if she wants to go professional.

Maybe she just wants to have fun?

Playing golf off a handicap of 4, at a pretty young age, despite never having taken it seriously, or had a lot of time to devote to it due to the time pressures of her career, suggests that it would very likely be within her grasp, tbh.

Though given the list of reasons she's given for no longer wanting to play tennis (the travelling, time away from home) I doubt she'd want to do so.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
2 things that really grate with me, as an exceptionally ordinary person(!) are people, typically sports persons, celebs, artists, mathematical genius etc that:

Firstly, say “you can achieve anything if you work hard enough” which is total bollocks. I could never be a professional singer for example, not unless the Deaf Society hired me. You need a degree of born with talent, to achieve many many things that can totally depend on your genes for one!

Secondly, as others say, having achieved success these over achievers then turn their hand to other things at whim and become exceptionally talented at that within nano seconds…the ********!

We all had a childhood nemesis, someone you knew who was great at studies, and sport, and got all the girls. Your parents often said “why can’t you be more like…”, you know the score. Anyway, I knew such a guy like this growing up. Thing was, they’re usually a bit of a knobhead and plenty blokes hate ‘em because of, and that’s their flaw. However, in this instance the thing I really hated about them is they weren’t even that! But a bloody good bloke, who you couldn’t help like and so became friends! I don’t know, sometimes life’s race feels like you tripped up on the starting line. You know by age 10 you were never going to win at! There again, for their to be winners there must be losers and I’ve always said I provide a brilliant service to enable the former! :)

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Makes you wonder why Andy Murray still plays when he is clearly not the player he was with a metal hip.

Surely it may even affect his physical health in later life, like a boxer who took too many punches in their career.

I guess he just enjoys it.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Makes you wonder why Andy Murray still plays when he is clearly not the player he was with a metal hip.

Surely it may even affect his physical health in later life, like a boxer who took too many punches in their career.

I guess he just enjoys it.

Makes you appreciate his mentality even more, no? Like Roger Federer trying to get back to fitness aged 40 in order to continue his career. Venus Williams is still playing professionally at 41. These people are legends of the game, Ashleigh Barty will be forgotten by most but those who remember her will inevitably remember her giving it up (twice) far too young. If she wanted to be a legend of the sport, she's capable - but she doesn't have the dedication of a Murray or a Federer or a Williams.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Makes you appreciate his mentality even more, no? Like Roger Federer trying to get back to fitness aged 40 in order to continue his career. Venus Williams is still playing professionally at 41. These people are legends of the game, Ashleigh Barty will be forgotten by most but those who remember her will inevitably remember her giving it up (twice) far too young. If she wanted to be a legend of the sport, she's capable - but she doesn't have the dedication of a Murray or a Federer or a Williams.

I haven't ever seen her play and know nothing about her. But you have convinced me. Barty? Quitter! No dedication! Boo. BOO!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Who says I have no interest in tennis?

You've never seen the world number 1, the winner of Wimbledon in July and the Australian Open in January. Fair to assume you're a casual observer at best. :rolleyes:

Do you have anything to say on this matter, or are you just getting your post count up? Or do you feel compelled to post in every thread whether there's something to say, or not?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
She's comfortably the best female tennis player in the world right now, she won Wimbledon at a canter and was barely troubled at the Australian Open either.

I think the point is that it probably required her to focus every single second of every day of her adult life on tennis in order to get that good. Only a handful of greats in any sport have ever been able to sustain that focus, watch the Michael Jordan or Shane Warne documentaries to see what they have to sacrifice in order to get there and to stay there.

Nobody ever makes it to the top on talent alone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You've never seen the world number 1, the winner of Wimbledon in July and the Australian Open in January. Fair to assume you're a casual observer at best. :rolleyes:

Do you have anything to say on this matter, or are you just getting your post count up? Or do you feel compelled to post in every thread whether there's something to say, or not?

I found it hard to understand how you could admire her achievement but not regret her passing. I still don't understand, as it seems an incompatible stance (it isn't as if she's jilted you), but never mind :thumbsup:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
These people are legends of the game, Ashleigh Barty will be forgotten by most but those who remember her will inevitably remember her giving it up (twice) far too young. If she wanted to be a legend of the sport, she's capable - but she doesn't have the dedication of a Murray or a Federer or a Williams.

It's not for any of us who don't even know her to say she retired too young or how much dedication she has/had.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

If she is comfortable with her decision and happy with the life she is leading, then she has as much fortitude and personal understanding as those who you have lauded.

Just because she doesn't match up to your expectations doesn't make that any less true.

boik

I guess we'll just have to bow down to the fact that you obviously know her.

Not sure how you can denigrate someone for trying to get to the top in more than one career, but then what do I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here