Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How Refreshing!...Ash Barty.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Agree but estimates have put her earnings plus sponsorship deals at around £10 m to date so it’s a much easier decision when money is not a barrier to freedom of choice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The discussion on 5Live this morning was that she may now go into golf, cricket or women's AFL.

Sounds like she's one of those really annoying people who are exceptionally good at every sport they turn their hand to.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
With prize money on offer very surprised more of top players dont retire earlier. Great traveling the world on way to top but once there if you have close family at home cant see enjoyment in being away for 9/10 months of year.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Agree but estimates have put her earnings plus sponsorship deals at around £10 m to date so it’s a much easier decision when money is not a barrier to freedom of choice.

Well yes...and that's pretty much alluded to in the OP.

She has already played Big Bash cricket in Australia - could go back to that. Her golf handicap is 4, so huge improvement needed there if she wants to go professional.

Maybe she just wants to have fun?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
World number one Ashleigh Barty has shocked the sporting world by announcing she will retire from professional tennis at just 25.

The Australian made the announcement on social media on Wednesday, saying she was leaving to "chase other dreams".

She said she was "absolutely spent" and "physically I have nothing more to give".

"I'm so happy and I'm so ready. I just know at the moment in my heart, for me as a person, this is right," she said.

"I know that people may not understand it. I'm OK with that. Because I know that Ash Barty the person has so many dreams she wants to chase after that don't necessarily involve travelling the world, being away from her family, from her home, which is where she's always wanted to be. Ash Barty the player has completed all she wants to and needs to on the tennis court."

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What really frustrates me with her is that when she plays, she tends to win. But I find her attitude toward tennis to be really frustrating. When you look at how hard other players work to make a career on the tour, and others who battle back from injury after injury, then you get Ash Barty who has retired for a second time and doesn't seem interested in the sport at all. What a waste of talent, but she packed an excellent career into a short period of time and to retire at 25 years old is extraordinary. I won't miss her from the tour.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Of course it is, but money is addictive. She’s not yet 26, so is probably no more than half-way into her career under normal circumstances. Her official career earnings (from prize money alone) are circa $23m (US). She could easily double that - and with sponsorships etc. you could probably double that again.

Walking away from $50m is easier said than done. I just hope that she’s made this decision from a good place, and not a bad one.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Of course it is, but money is addictive. She’s not yet 26, so is probably no more than half-way into her career under normal circumstances. Her official career earnings (from prize money alone) are circa $23m (US). She could easily double that - and with sponsorships etc. you could probably double that again.

Walking away from $50m is easier said than done. I just hope that she’s made this decision from a good place, and not a bad one.

Those headline figures are before tax (potentially 50% or so), paying agents, coaches, training facilities, etc...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
She won't struggle to make a lot of money outside of tennis with a hell of a lot of job offers coming her way.

As an Aboriginal woman she's got a lot of earning potential in the open market or through Government.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would have thought she'd hung on to win a US Open which seemed inevitable.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What really frustrates me with her is that when she plays, she tends to win. But I find her attitude toward tennis to be really frustrating. When you look at how hard other players work to make a career on the tour, and others who battle back from injury after injury, then you get Ash Barty who has retired for a second time and doesn't seem interested in the sport at all. What a waste of talent, but she packed an excellent career into a short period of time and to retire at 25 years old is extraordinary. I won't miss her from the tour.

Maybe she's just not that fussed about it. Why make all that sacrifice for something you're not bothered about? Good on her.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe she's just not that fussed about it. Why make all that sacrifice for something you're not bothered about? Good on her.

Won Wimbledon and her home country tournament, both huge. A life of touring the world constantly isn't for everyone

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I think that’s unfair to say she’s not interested in the sport. I think she achieved everything she wanted to and has clearly said that what it takes to remain at the highest level is something she doesn’t want to do, or more importantly something she doesn’t have left in her.

Its worth noting there has been a debate in most professional sports in recent years about the impact on mental health. The elite level of any sport is mentally demanding. Tennis in particular there’s a host of ex-players who have talked about how hard the tour is, how lonely it can be. It easy for everyone on the outside to criticise her decision when we don’t see or experience any of the negative things that impact on her.

There is great bit in the ex England cricketer, Marcus Trescothick’s autobiography where he talks about his breakdown. He explains how there’s a threshold that most people are prepared to go to before enough is enough and they’ll quit something that is negatively affecting them. For some people its really low and when something negative happens they are happy to just walk away. For other’s the threshold is higher and they can tolerate more, but there will still be a point where they quit. And then there are people who are afraid to quit for a variety of reasons, such as not wanting to let other people down etc. They will push themselves beyond that threshold, and keeping doing things that negatively affect them. These people are the ones that most likely to have breakdowns. I think what we have to take from that, is everyone has a different threshold, and we should respect the decision when someone says “I’ve had enough”. And we definitely shouldn’t pressure them or shame them for making that decision.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The discussion on 5Live this morning was that she may now go into golf, cricket or women's AFL.

Sounds like she's one of those really annoying people who are exceptionally good at every sport they turn their hand to.

Like Joe Gatting?:whistle:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Talking of Joe Gatting, his Wiki suggests e-sports aren't his thing.

Capture.PNG

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
With prize money on offer very surprised more of top players dont retire earlier. Great traveling the world on way to top but once there if you have close family at home cant see enjoyment in being away for 9/10 months of year.

You make a logical case.
But the very best athletes are a different breed.
That drive to get them to the top doesn’t just go away.
And the prospect of even more money….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Normally when a great talent walks away from the fray and is recognised as such there is sadness. The early departure from football of Peter Knowles. The sad demise of George Best.

And yet you won't miss her?

Care to explain? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here