Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How olds your Grandad and does he support the Albion??

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Shed or Town End? Town End boy myself...

Paul Hegarty's Blue & White Army!

Town End of course! I'm bringing the children over in a few weeks for the UCD game, my great grandfather has never met Oisín so I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Town End of course! I'm bringing the children over in a few weeks for the UCD game, my great grandfather has never met Oisín so I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone!

The trips to the 'fey from here are killing me (550km round trip) so I'm having to restrict myself to being a big game charlie... and UCD isn't really a big game, to be honest. Don't think I'll be seeing you there...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mine's 117,and he still supports the Albion,though he died in the 1960's.

I know it,I just know it.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Both passed away before I was born, so had no idea if they supported the Albion!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mine worked on the turnstiles, but he is dead now.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
90 and has always supported the albion.

Also worked at the goldstone on the turnstiles so probably let some of you in over the years. Was in the lego stand and then the west. I used to go with him sometimes and get sent on all kind of errands. I was once sent to buy barry lloyd's fags and I was only about ten. They refused to serve me until they realised who they were for.

Anyway I'm rambling – hes 90 and yes, of course.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Both passed away before I was born, so had no idea if they supported the Albion!

Same here, and I'm now in my 40s.

My dad is also no longer with us, but is wholly responsible for my love of the Albion. Sadly, he never saw the return to Brighton as he died while we were in exile in Kent.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
83, Yes, and he took me to my first game in 1987. He stopped going in 1988 for health reasons...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Both my grandfathers died more than 40 years ago - and neither was into football.

My dad who, sadly, is also no longer with us, was a keen Albion fan and took me to all my early games. He died 16 years ago so he missed out on the trauma of leaving the Goldstone.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Yep, passed away eight years ago but introduced me to the Albion fold in the mid-70s.

Uncle, brother and dad are Albion too.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Maternal grandfather was Albion through and through, a season ticket holder from the 1930s up until illness forced him to quit in the late 1970s. He was also a member of the Haywards Heath brass band that used to play Sussex by the Sea at the Goldstone during matches in the 1930s until losing his two front teeth made it impossible to play the trumpet anymore.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Mine died at the end of 2003, wasn't really a football fan but was very much into Rugby and used to play it(Still was around to see the 2003 world cup final win, which kept him on the edge of his armchair!)

Did keep an eye out on the Brighton scores though, and sent a phone call through of support after we lost 4-1 at home to Bristol City in November 2003(It was horrible weather that day, wasn't it?) That was one of the last times I heard from him.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Both long gone.

One was Glaswegian, and a true Rangers man, through and through.

The other was a Cotswold farmer and I don't believe he ever knew football existed.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Both long gone - my mother's father was a former Palace supporter.:blush:

He lived in Norbury near Selhurst, so it was his local team.

But it's not all bad news...

According to my mother, throughout the 1950s and 60s he regularly came home after matches declaring that he was "never going to go again" following the latest abject performance from the Eagles.

It was probably only the lack of any alternative entertainment at that time that kept him going.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have no idea. My Dad's Dad died long before I was born. My Dad was an orphan at 15. My Mum's Dad died when I was 8. They both lived in Sussex so maybe were interested in the Albion but I doubt either of them would have had the money to spare to go to matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here