Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The solution is clear. We're simply going to have to buy Bloom out, and have NSC run the damn club.
There's no other way to ensure the job is done correctly.

I pledge £10.
Who's with me?

If we can get 20,000 people to put in 10k each we can do this.
Like Rex I,m in with a tenner.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I wasn't talking about Hyppia, I was talking about Bloom not going anywhere. You've just written a massive rant about Tony Bloom getting things wrong.

I'm saying that Tony Bloom isn't going to get every decision right, as a football chairman it inevitable that he's going to make a crap appointment at some point - all of them do. He's done well with two out of three so far.

I agree that if he doesn't sack Hyppia soon we'll probably go down. That doesn't give anyone the right to dig Bloom out like you have though. Until someone else wants to make enough money to keep the club running all we can do is trust Tony to run the club how he wants and hope he gets more right than he gets wrong.

Read my OP. You'll understand my point then. As I said I like TB but he is still not immune from criticism even because of the points you make.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why do we need a director of football??? Every decent manager interviewed on tv says, they would never work with one but you say we need one, why??? and why do you think several people turned us down in the summer and we ended up wit Hyypia in the first place??? Maybe because we have a DOF and Jones must stay perhaps.

You have alluded to only one possible candidate commenting on this and did he turn us down or did we not select him? Can you post any links?

1. He appoints young, up and coming managers. His last 2 appointment had no championship experience and yet did well. What is a "yes man"? If you mean someone who will work within the budget given and not throw his toys out of the pram then yes, he appoints yes men.
2. Because we do actually have some pretty good players.
3. Because he is loyal and willing to give people a fair go. Despite what he may think, he will never slag off an employee publicly.
4. If panic signing means signing Darren Bent then yes, we are panicking
5. As we have seen from the accounts, Poyet was backed as far as TB could. He got within a gnats whisker of the play-off final. At some point TB had to say no.
6. We were losing money hand over fist. Whilst we are still losing money, I am certain that had KB stayed we would be losing a lot more.
TB is also a progressive chairman and looked at the best set ups in world football - they all have Director of Football positions.

I am sure TB is well aware of our league position and current travails. If he wants to get rid of SH he will do so in his own time.

That's my take on it anyway.

Agree with this.

I didn't renew my season ticket this year that's what I did about it. I never said sack him you moron. I appreciate the money he has poured in. I merely fear he is set in his ways/loyal/stubborn and things he does need to change before we sleep walk into league 1.

I take it you made that decision back at the beginning of April then which would have been before we got to the play-offs and long before SH was ever thought of as being a Brighton manager for this season!

With regard to the OP banging on about the delay in appointing him, it was only about 3 weeks and was before the team returned to pre season training! As for others going about TB giving SH a public flogging how utter moronic. Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes but do you really think making any comments public will help the situation? All it will do is appease those bedwetters! Oh, and for the record, TB was probably right in giving SH a chance because that is clearly the club policy with new managers, but, in this instance I do believe SH now needs to be released.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
For what it's worth, I wonder what the rest of the football world thinks about our situation, looking from the outside in as it were?

I can imagine there is a fair amount of incredulity...

I do know one thing. All the teams around us are praying that we don't sack Sami Hyypia.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
He owns the club and sanctions the big decisions. The buck stops with him. He refuses to remove Burke, Jones or Hyypia from their respective positions within the club. Everyone can see what an utter shambles everything is, yet we keep ploughing down this dead end street. If only he would hold his hands up and say, he made a mistake, every fan to a man, woman and child would say fair enough. But his apparent failure to do so and stick by his guns will in my view end in relegation if Hyypia remains in his role much longer and quite how we have ended up with 7 or 8 loans at one time, after signing 8 or 9 players, is nothing short of a complete joke. Some people within the club are really falling short at their jobs. But every week they keep drawing their wages, when most of them would have been sacked ages ago anywhere else.

Absolutely spot on.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bloom is the problem IMO. He may have money, but I think he's the root of the problem since poyet first arrived. He's a business man, in it For the money, kudos, and it would appear, a control freak. We're doomed I tells ya!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Before you start I fully realise the amount of money he has and is putting into the Albion. I also like the fact we have a fan in charge of our club and not a foreign owner. However there are some things I feel we have to question.
1. Firstly the appointment of SH. He has no experience of managing in the championship or England and his record, albeit at a big German club, was poor. He almost got them relegated. Similarly we waited ages to appoint him. I can only hope that the reality was that he was 5th choice or something. The problem lies in the fact that that he wants to employ a yes man who will do what he, Burke and Barber tell him. What do they really know about managing a team? Appoint someone who is Premier League or as our ghastly club phrase says, 'Premier League Ready'.
2. Why state we have a play off potential squad? I appreciate the optimism but if your so sure why are our results so bad.
3. Why give such a full on backing to SH recently in the press and at the Seagulls Over London event? You are shooting yourself in the foot. 3 nervy wins against teams who have since sacked their managers (says it all really) does not constitute hope and to say you have been encouraged by the displays was remarkable. We've got some good players so they will do some okay things in games but we NEVER WIN and don't look like doing it enough times to get 40 points, let alone 50. I really fear he will be very stubborn or loyal AND stick with SH until it is too late.
4. This seasons is a carbon copy of Adams take 2 with all these loanees won't in reality don't care about us going down. We are panic signing anyone. It's also just like the 91-92 when we sold our striker (Mike Small) in the summer after making the play offs but went down.
5. All the blame has gone to Poyet for leaving but I'm critical of the club for not massaging his ego more. Use him like he used us perhaps. I'm not his biggest fan but he was and is a great manager who would have got us up if we could have kept things harmonious. Not piss him off but stating how we would have no money soon, hence him wanting to leave before the end of the season. Bloom and PR Barber couldn't manage him. I realise this is a tad critical but it's always been easy to point the finger at Poyet and not at our management.
6. The appointment of Burke and Barber? We were doing pretty well until then weren't we and they seem completely removed from any criticism. Although outwardly I realise he can't do this, I hope inwardly he is questioning things instead of blind faith.
I know the points above won't be to everyone's taste but I feel his biggest responsibility comes NOW. If he sticks with SH for anymore time, we will go down. I just hope he is not too stubborn or loyal to appoint a new management team before we slide into League 1 while training at the best training ground in the country.
I agree with most of that until you mentioned poyet...That was a crest of a wave and the club was on a high,but also we was over spending and that twit poyet wanted more and more and insulted the club time and time again.

I agree though that the big 3 want a puppet and Oscar garcia also felt like he was their puppet as the key signing was a complete donkey like most who have turned up here recently.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Tony's biggest call will be in 3 weeks, Bent was superb yesterday for someone not up to match speed, his header hitting the middle of the keepers shin was superunlucky, his movement was great and if was fully tuned could have had 3 or 4...If he gets 5 by Xmas, Villa will want him back as a sub UNLESS we go in at £5m...as the old card game goes 'will he or won't he?'

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You have alluded to only one possible candidate commenting on this and did he turn us down or did we not select him? Can you post any links?

Agree with this.

I take it you made that decision back at the beginning of April then which would have been before we got to the play-offs and long before SH was ever thought of as being a Brighton manager for this season!

With regard to the OP banging on about the delay in appointing him, it was only about 3 weeks and was before the team returned to pre season training! As for others going about TB giving SH a public flogging how utter moronic. Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes but do you really think making any comments public will help the situation? All it will do is appease those bedwetters! Oh, and for the record, TB was probably right in giving SH a chance because that is clearly the club policy with new managers, but, in this instance I do believe SH now needs to be released.

Either I'm confused or you are.
So, after reading all that waffle you say Sammi should get on Stat Brothers bike and ride off into the sunset which I agree with:)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bloom has got some things right and some things wrong. He has had to go through a massive learning curve jumping from Withdean to the Amex, but because he preferred to work the club as the sole decision maker he has surrounded himself with yes men. I must add that there is nothing wrong with employing yes men if the strategy works, but you also need a balanced perspective on things.

I think he severed links with Dick Knight too quickly and didn’t appreciate the value of a wise old head working alongside him. If he couldn’t trust DK who could he trust?

Maybe if DK was still involved in the club when we were promoted, he would have insisted that we kept Murray, it was his signing, but instead Bloom left it up to Gus and went along with it and splashed out £2.5m for CMS. Being promoted and moving to the Amex made it look like he couldn’t make a wrong decision and it sort of gave a false sense of security in decision making.

If he kept DK close as Vice Chairman, and had yes men working underneath them it would have been a formidable partnership, but on his own it is too big a project when it comes to the pros and cons to certain decisions. I think that getting Oscar in was a smart move, but not backing him in the transfer market was a massive mistake and we are paying the price for a lack of continuity now.

We were the most ill prepared club at the start of the season and any manager coming in would have found it as tough for them as it has been Sami. Whether people like him or not this was always going to be a testing season and I wouldn't have wished the job on anyone.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I suspect that the club is now caught between a rock and a hard place. Sacking Hyypia, Jones, Burke et al will cost money as will replacements and probably ruin the FFP equation for the season. Getting relegated is an even worse financial scenario. Only choice is to soldier on in the hope that somehow things will start to improve and relegation will be avoided. We're doomed!!
In the long run it may just save us millions and millions as we might actually start getting players in that actually play.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Bloom has got some things right and some things wrong. He has had to go through a massive learning curve jumping from Withdean to the Amex, but because he preferred to work the club as the sole decision maker he has surrounded himself with yes men. I must add that there is nothing wrong with employing yes men if the strategy works, but you also need a balanced perspective on things.

I think he severed links with Dick Knight too quickly and didn’t appreciate the value of a wise old head working alongside him. If he couldn’t trust DK who could he trust?

Maybe if DK was still involved in the club when we were promoted, he would have insisted that we kept Murray, it was his signing, but instead Bloom left it up to Gus and went along with it and splashed out £2.5m for CMS. Being promoted and moving to the Amex made it look like he couldn’t make a wrong decision and it sort of gave a false sense of security in decision making.

If he kept DK close as Vice Chairman, and had yes men working underneath them it would have been a formidable partnership, but on his own it is too big a project when it comes to the pros and cons to certain decisions. I think that getting Oscar in was a smart move, but not backing him in the transfer market was a massive mistake and we are paying the price for a lack of continuity now.

We were the most ill prepared club at the start of the season and any manager coming in would have found it as tough for them as it has been Sami. Whether people like him or not this was always going to be a testing season and I wouldn't have wished the job on anyone.

Dick tight was a dinosaur and to be fair was out of his depth as the club grew again.He would be useless to us now to be fair :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No he wasn't, he had a wealth of experience and did a fantastic job. He was exactly the right person for Bloom to discuss things with, rather than relying on the advice from Poyet, Burke and Bloom.
Yes, I'd go along with that - not running the club, but a useful source of advice to young TB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here