Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much is worth paying for a striker?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Errr, no... there is very little chance we will survive without signing a striker... the 2nd half of our season, especially the run-in, looks very tough...

No, he's right - we can survive without signing a striker - we're halfway there already, after all. Agree though, that not signing a striker will make it a lot harder, and less likely, but not a certainty that we won't survive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, he's right - we can survive without signing a striker - we're halfway there already, after all. Agree though, that not signing a striker will make it a lot harder, and less likely, but not a certainty that we won't survive.

Hmm one goal in open play in 10 hours, yep all looking hunky dory with our current strike force. So many options for changing it around with a plan b too.

We will go down if we fail to sign a quality striker imo

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
£395,424.72.

No more no less

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
The problem is. If we sign the best striker in the world, and we play the same tactics that we play now, they will still struggle to score. Possibly a player with more pace will have a better chance of scoring, but it will be interesting to see if CH changes tactics to support a goal scoring centre forward. The tactics deployed in the first half of the season could soon see a number 9 played out of form without a sniff of goal in his first couple of games.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
He is an ideal answer or Sturridge and pay their wages rather than a large fee for an unknown. I think most will be put off paying a large fee to break our record again based on what Izquierdo has achieved or shown since signing for our record fee.

The problem is if CH decides to do what he has with Izquierdo and wait to see if he can cope with the rigours of the premiership then the new striker will not get regular game time. He does not have that luxury. I feel sorry for Izquierdo as he has had little football when March and Knockheart have hardly pulled up trees. Given more game time I think he may have been more of a threat for us.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Question: How much is it worth paying for a striker?

How much is it worth to the Albion to stay up in Premier League next year? An effective striker could be the difference.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
For a club our size, shouldn't really be going over 25 million or else we could be buggered if we go back down

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Corrected for you. On the other hand, we might go down if we do sign a quality striker. No absolutes either way.

But, and this is the key point, a far greater chance of survival if a quality striker is signed... it is a no-brainer...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For a club our size, shouldn't really be going over 25 million or else we could be buggered if we go back down

How much do you think staying up is worth versus going down? Now you realize just how far we should go to land a good striker...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
To answer the original question, £35M+.

I base this on Benteke costing £27M. Supposedly good in the air but where is the evidence? I know he scored one recently, but that looked more fortunate than intended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here