Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much does this cost? (One born every minute...)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I won't buy anything from anyone who knocks on the door as I have no idea if they are genuine or just trying it on. Some might be ok, but the last time I had a door to door salesman trying to flog double glazing he quoted over twice the price of a local firm.

I was soundly ripped off once by someone who offered to cut down some trees (although this was mitigated when his chain saw broke so he had to do most of the job by hand).

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
it's to much for the paltry amount of goods supplied................I think the thread title was asking for onions.
Corrected for you and Bozza

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I actually run one of these schemes from local markets int'north.
I would say that has all been bought from a local wholesale market.
At £9 a delivery they will be making at least £4.50 and this time of year I doubt if much of it was grown in Sussex.
Everybody has to eat, including the farmer so they should be allowed a little poetic license and in the summer im sure there will be more local produce.
I would hope that a bigger box would be better value for money but helping british farmers is worth the premium.
BumperJune.jpg
That costs £20 from us with a £2.99 delivery fee.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So, before Christmas, there was a knock on the door.

It was a rep from a group of local farms who were doing fruit and veg boxes of various sizes as well as meat and dairy products etc.

The claim was that it's grown locally, so low food miles etc, and at or below supermarket prices.

We're veggies and home cook most meals so get through a lot. I said we'd take the weekly small box to start with, well aware we'd still need to get a lot from the shops ourselves.

One thing I've noted is the inclusion of "exotic" fruit - bananas, kiwi, mango, pineapple and melon.

However, even though it's not expensive, I also dispute the pricing. How much was this?

View attachment 71821

Nice to see capitalism in action. It's great marketing and salesmanship unless you end up paying £9.00 odd for £3.00's worth of fruit and veg.

PS, didn't know Findon was temperate enough for Citrus fruit ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NINE! NINE! NINE! Wouldn't happen in Germany.

Of course it wouldn't. If I want locally sourced produce I can simply go to my local supermarket. They have a vast selection of vegetables and meat from the Brandenburg farms.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I have just finally finished a 25kg bag of maris pipers I obtained in Lincolnshire for a fiver.
I reckon I only need to sell on a fraction of the bag to bozza and I can cover my petrol on the next trip.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have now consulted her indoors who does the shopping for the giraffe house and she thinks £9.99 is good value.

But we all know girls are more gullible.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Supporting local farmers is one thing. Getting shafted by them is another. That is never worth £9. 3 or 4 times that amount then yeah.

So, before Christmas, there was a knock on the door.

It was a rep from a group of local farms who were doing fruit and veg boxes of various sizes as well as meat and dairy products etc.

The claim was that it's grown locally, so low food miles etc, and at or below supermarket prices.

We're veggies and home cook most meals so get through a lot. I said we'd take the weekly small box to start with, well aware we'd still need to get a lot from the shops ourselves.

One thing I've noted is the inclusion of "exotic" fruit - bananas, kiwi, mango, pineapple and melon.

However, even though it's not expensive, I also dispute the pricing. How much was this?

View attachment 71821

If this a weekly box why does it only have enough veg for one meal?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If this a weekly box why does it only have enough veg for one meal?

Weekly is the frequency of delivery. The size varies, and that is the smallest. I imagine for a single person household that would go quite far but for us it doesn't, as I explained in my first post.

Although, that said - we rarely use potatoes so that's more than a week's worth for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here