Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much are you missing football?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority of 1 but I'm missing Formula 1. The wife hates it, the kids hate it but I always watch it.

9 times out of 10 it's as boring as shite but that's fine as the engine noise sends me off to sleep and I have the lounge to myself. On the rare occasion it is exciting I really enjoy it and the kids aren't about to piss me off. Football creates moaning, angst and invariably disappointment. I don't miss Rugby in the slightest. Cricket, I realise takes up so much time to play and I'm shit at it that I don't really want to play it this year lockdown or not (I miss watching it, granted).

Formula 1 though. 2 hours of peace and quiet. No wonder its on a Sunday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In all honesty, I'm not missing it that much. I think I needed a break.

And it is certainly making me re-evaluate football and my relationship with it.

I've lost all respect for players. I think the way they have handled themselves during this crisis is poor. There may well be other people who have escaped the public ire (e.g. hedge fund managers who have made a killing) but they don't run around kissing the badge on a Saturday afternoon.

I think that Tony Bloom, Paul Barber et al have done a great job but they are few and far between. The Premier League and FA are just interested in their 'brand'.

When football comes back I will have to see how I feel. Right now I think I would rather see fewer games and maybe see more non-league football and cricket.

I don't need football to be the all encompassing drug that maybe it once was. I'll enjoy a different pace of life and enjoy seeing family and friends much more.

It's all supposition at this stage but as football is life, like life, I don't want it all to go back to the way it was before.

Players in the top two divisions are in for a shock at their next contract discussions, according to a 5live discussion today. No doubt top stars such as Pogba will still sit pretty, but for the rest, far less so. “It’s a short career” when someone grosses £3m a year, sounds ever more hollow.

Total Championship clubs income of £749m, against costs of £1,056m. The PL spends £3b a year in wages.

Little contingency for that rainy day. It’s here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority of 1 but I'm missing Formula 1. The wife hates it, the kids hate it but I always watch it.

9 times out of 10 it's as boring as shite but that's fine as the engine noise sends me off to sleep and I have the lounge to myself. On the rare occasion it is exciting I really enjoy it and the kids aren't about to piss me off. Football creates moaning, angst and invariably disappointment. I don't miss Rugby in the slightest. Cricket, I realise takes up so much time to play and I'm shit at it that I don't really want to play it this year lockdown or not (I miss watching it, granted).

I don’t miss just now, but I dp like it. Elite engineering, the cream of drivers, and the UK is pretty good at producing great F1 cars, as well as Lewis Hamilton.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not at all at the moment. The PL chiefs intent to make sure they get their hands on the money during the crisis has dampened my enthusiasm a little

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

9 times out of 10 it's as boring as shite but that's fine as the engine noise sends me off to sleep and I have the lounge to myself. On the rare occasion it is exciting I really enjoy it and the kids aren't about to piss me off.

:lolol::lolol:
Sounds brilliant, you have sold it to me. :D

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don’t miss just now, but I dp like it. Elite engineering, the cream of drivers, and the UK is pretty good at producing great F1 cars, as well as Lewis Hamilton.

Pretty good? Other than Ferrari they are all here really. Its the one area where we are world class.

Like a lot of people on this thread it's the experience rather than the sport to an extent that I miss. In my case it 2 hours of peace. In a house I can't get out of at the minute (with 2 school age kids, 2 adults doing 12 hour days working plus home schooling and the inevitable arguments all that creates), it's probably why I've called this particular sport out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty good? Other than Ferrari they are all here really. Its the one area where we are world class.

Like a lot of people on this thread it's the experience rather than the sport to an extent that I miss. In my case it 2 hours of peace. In a house I can't get out of at the minute (with 2 school age kids, 2 adults doing 12 hour days working plus home schooling and the inevitable arguments all that creates), it's probably why I've called this particular sport out.

Pretty good was a deliberate understatement. Our engineering expertise in F1 is incredible, even the Germans wisely locate here.

F1 causes an argument in itself in our house, the other half hates the drone of the cars “How can you actually like that?” :lolol:

I like the Sky and C4 coverage, but Sky is my preference. What about you?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The money in the Premier League, the obscene wages and exorbitant transfer fees were bad before Coronavirus but reading today's transfer gossip after reading about the daily Covid 19 death toll is like a sick joke. I miss seeing my football mates and I'm looking forward to seeing MacAllister and Lamptey, hopefully White and Molumby too but the Prem is rotten to the core.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I am missing football as much as our players are…… so not at all.
The only difference is they are happy to sit on their arse and think it ok to take their £50k per week.
Always lived on the feeling that any player who came to this club realised what the fans and club had been put through which meant a bond existed.
That has been blown apart by their inaction as AITC Staff are furloughed whilst they still have more questions before committing to any reduction/deferral.
When it returns I will support the Club but the players mean nothing.
Hopefully we can bring through the kids and get rid of the stale bunch who live for their nights out rather than 3 o'clock on a Saturday.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am missing football as much as our players are…… so not at all.
The only difference is they are happy to sit on their arse and think it ok to take their £50k per week.
Always lived on the feeling that any player who came to this club realised what the fans and club had been put through which meant a bond existed.
That has been blown apart by their inaction as AITC Staff are furloughed whilst they still have more questions before committing to any reduction/deferral.
When it returns I will support the Club but the players mean nothing.
Hopefully we can bring through the kids and get rid of the stale bunch who live for their nights out rather than 3 o'clock on a Saturday.

I know many of the team have now moved on, but my love of the Albion died a little bit when we got promoted to the PL but didn't win the Championship title ( with 3 games to do it FFS :wozza:) Many will say it doesn't matter as we won promotion, but hopefully some of the players will look back at that one day and realise they won f*** all in their playing careers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not missing pro football whatsoever.

But missing watching my son play for his under 9's team every Saturday morning massively.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know many of the team have now moved on, but my love of the Albion died a little bit when we got promoted to the PL but didn't win the Championship title ( with 3 games to do it FFS :wozza:) Many will say it doesn't matter as we won promotion, but hopefully some of the players will look back at that one day and realise they won f*** all in their playing careers.

I genuinely knew the game was up, when we failed to turn up against Bristol City. Carrow Road and Villa Park are Albion graveyards, whatever the respective league positions in a season. Yes I know Stockdale had a big say, but still, we failed. Whilst Rafa’s Newcastle stayed impressively 100% focused, getting their hands on that very famous trophy.

I badly missed football in the 1St 2 weeks or so but sadly far more important things occured and football has been last thing on most minds since. I know it will be the forefront again and when normal season ends(would of been this weekend I think), it grates me having no Albion to see till August. This summer the euros would of made my summer go quicker ready for the return of new season. When we do play again I imagine that if we can complete this season when would next season start? I imagine there wouldn't need to be a summer break maybe just a few weeks and start again after promotion/relegation issues been decided.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I genuinely knew the game was up, when we failed to turn up against Bristol City. Carrow Road and Villa Park are Albion graveyards, whatever the respective league positions in a season. Yes I know Stockdale had a big say, but still, we failed. Whilst Rafa’s Newcastle stayed impressively 100% focused, getting their hands on that very famous trophy.

I went to Bristol City away that season ( Sidwell half way line goal ) and thought we played very well, City came to us with nothing to play for as they had avoided relegation, and made us look poor.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
To be honest, I am not missing football at all...

Strangely my mind is more focused on whether my wife will survive the next year, rather than will Brighton get relegated, or Leeds get promoted, etc., etc., etc.

Football, while it has been a wonderful diversion over the past 50 years, when it comes down to it, really doesn't count for **** all, really, does it...!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be honest, I am not missing football at all...

Strangely my mind is more focused on whether my wife will survive the next year, rather than will Brighton get relegated, or Leeds get promoted, etc., etc

Team Mrs darkwolf666

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Team darkwolf666 and Mrs darkwolf666

Thank you, I am sure anyone who has seen my posts over the last few months will know what has been going on in my/our lives, I have indeed been touched by the generosity of not only spirit but of deed, during that time.

I just wish I could see past the death and destruction currently going on to have an iota of interest in the latest football transfer gossip, will the season finish, won't it finish, will Liverpool be awarded the title, will Leeds get promoted - quite frankly I don't really care!

I have realised now that football is just a distraction from every day shit, which for most people, most of the time is welcome - but at times like this, for me, it is just insignificant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here