Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many strikers do we need?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sometimes it worth a punt. Seemed to work quite well at Arsenal a few years ago!
Once, Terry Henry has been the exception at Arsenal not the rule.

All Arsene got from TH, he has lost in trying to replicate it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just one more sharp striker will do us.

One more will do if CH has 100% faith in one of the kids stepping up, or 80% faith in at least 2 of them.

4 strikers isn't enough when one is Baldock and to a lesser extent another is Murray.
It will also be a minor miracle if Hemed can go through 2 full championship seasons unscathed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One more will do if CH has 100% faith in one of the kids stepping up, or 80% faith in at least 2 of them.

4 strikers isn't enough when one is Baldock and to a lesser extent another is Murray.
It will also be a minor miracle if Hemed can go through 2 full championship seasons unscathed.

Zamora and Wilson have departed, Murray and another to come in would be my guess. Don't forget that Baldock and Hemed were our best striking partnership last year, they play well together.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Zamora and Wilson have departed, Murray and another to come in would be my guess. Don't forget that Baldock and Hemed were our best striking partnership last year, they play well together.
When Baldock was on the pitch.

I'm more than happy to have SB fourth in the rotation.
I just wouldn't be happy about relying on him.

With 4 strikers last season the team came up short, Shirley they can't make that mistake again.

The eternal hope for all of us, from Tony down, is a development squad striker making the step up.
But if that isn't on the horizon, a 5th striker will be needed, to go with the #1 striker we hope is currently on the shopping list.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. He's had enough games to show he ain't a goalscorer at this level
He also had enough games to show how valuable he is within the striker 'unit'.

IMO it would be silly to off load him now, as the club would then be after 2 possible 3 of the most expensive signings.

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Vidar Örn Kjartansson. Well if there is any truth to this rumour, I'll try to describe him as best as I can. He is your typical fox in the box type of striker. If I would have to compare him to anyone I would liken him to Kevin Phillips. He can finish with both feet and is also quite capable in the air. Here is a goal he scored a few weeks ago with his left foot: http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/allsvenskan/tv-har-dundrar-kjartansson-in-3-1/

The one down side of his play is that he often not involved in the play, build up and so on. He's often quite invisible on the field but he only needs that one chance and then bamm.

He was the topscorer in the Norwegian Premier League couple of years ago, where he averaged nearly a goal a game; his 25 goals was the highest top scorer tally in the league since 1998.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Vidar Örn Kjartansson. Well if there is any truth to this rumour, I'll try to describe him as best as I can. He is your typical fox in the box type of striker. If I would have to compare him to anyone I would liken him to Kevin Phillips. He can finish with both feet and is also quite capable in the air. Here is a goal he scored a few weeks ago with his left foot: http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/allsvenskan/tv-har-dundrar-kjartansson-in-3-1/

The one down side of his play is that he often not involved in the play, build up and so on. He's often quite invisible on the field but he only needs that one chance and then bamm.

He was the topscorer in the Norwegian Premier League couple of years ago, where he averaged nearly a goal a game; his 25 goals was the highest top scorer tally in the league since 1998.

What would the Norwegian prem be compared to? League 1/2?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
OR ...with 4 strikers last season the team had the best season they've had for 30+ years, were transformed from 14/15 and were the top scorers in the league.

Still came up short though. A lot of those goals were battering a few rubbish teams, if I recall we struggled to beat teams in the play-off places?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Still came up short though. A lot of those goals were battering a few rubbish teams, if I recall we struggled to beat teams in the play-off places?

Yes. I remember :)

Fair enough if we were 10 or 20 points adrift or scored 20 fewer goals than Boro or Burnley but good luck if you want to pin everything about missing out last season on a single factor and be able to say it was definitely this or that.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Hemed 17 goals last year. only two Championship players got more than twenty. Gray 25 and McCormack 21. So twenty players plus rare,If we have one great. But two or three in the high teens would be just as good.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We need two, plus a couple of back-ups.

Quality not quantity (except for the actual number of goals they score).

We have several....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here