Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many [portions of fruit and veg] do you consume per day, on average?

On average, how many portions of fruit and veg do you have per day?

Votes: 4 6.7%

Votes: 5 8.3%

Votes: 8 13.3%

Votes: 12 20.0%

Votes: 5 8.3%

Votes: 3 5.0%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 10 or more

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm pretty sure I've seen some juices claiming to constitute 2 of your 5 a day.

this would be smoothies where they have 4 or 5 ingredients, apples, oranges, bananas and a bunch of other fruit. the point of 5 a day was to encourage people to have a variety, and do so with a realistic target that people can adjust to easily. the food police now saying its not enough based on reading something into skewed stats is just going to spoil the message.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
We were laughing at the Tropicana juice wording only this very weekend as fruit and veg seems to be an after thought to their "Just Eat More" instruction.

u5y6e2un.jpg

Well, it's a little half-hearted looking, isn't it? They should have inserted an asterisk after the word "more" and put a vertical footnote in point size 5 to the right of the barcode. You don't get any of this gubbins with Sunny D.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pffft. I've just had a pretty awesome cheese & crisp sandwich for lunch. It's precisely none of my 5 or 7 a day but it tasted lovely.

Crisp sandwiches are ace.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
30 posts and not a mention of the apply goodness of cider? What has NSC become?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
30 posts and not a mention of the apply goodness of cider? What has NSC become?

I was trying to be discreet about your drink problem :shrug:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Does ketchup count?

why is 5 A DAY always capitalised? seems quite condescending. "have you had your 5 A DAY?!?!?!"

who drinks only 150ml of juice? That is less than half of a can of cokes worth of liquid.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
3-4 depending on whether I remember the banana that often sits in my office drawer or bag all day.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For what it's worth I actually worked on something called behavioural change policy for the last Government and we looked into the 5-a-day campaign. The reason it was set at 5-a-day was because it was seen as realistic and came from negotiations between the Department of Health and supermarkets. The latter were worried that if the figure was deemed unrealistic it would put off people from buying fruit and veg and the Govt concluded it was better to get people to eat more even if it wasn't the correct amount in nutrition terms. The actual recommended amount to eat is much higher. Canada for example I seem to remember from our research recommended 11 or 12 portions a day. At the end of the day, the more you eat is better for you.

Also on the cider argument we were actually told, depending on what cider it was, that in some cases, half a pint of cider in the morning is better for you than an apple. But obviously no Government would recommend it!

I would however recommend kumquats! Small and easy to eat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here