Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many points are required to make the play offs now?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we'll be there going into the Forest game if we win our next two.
What does 'be there' mean? Does it mean already guaranteed 6th, or needing a win, or what?

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Here's an interesting scenario. Derby's win just now at Donny, still keeps them in with a chance(albeit slim) of automatic promotion. They have Barnsley(h), Watford(h) & Leeds(a). Winning those last 3 games would put them on 87 points. Burnley's run in is Wigan(h), Ipswich(h) & Reading(a). They need 2 points to secure 2nd spot. They could easily slip up to Wigan(good for us, as they would be focused against Ipswich). They 'may' need something on the last day at Reading. They will probably stumble over the line, but you just don't know in this years crazy Championship?! I would sooner face a deflated Burnley side than an in-form Derby, that's for bloody sure. Assuming we indeed get that last play off spot!

Sorry, I'm rambling. We need 9 points, as Ipswich could get 10 or 12 from their last 4 IMO(hope I'm wrong and they f*ck up, starting with tomorrow at Vicarage Rd)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we will be three points clear at least with a superior goal difference, so in essence we will be in the playoffs
That's spectacularly optimistic.

Sorry, I'm rambling.
You were a bit. What I got from that though, is that if Wigan can get a point against Burnley on Monday, and Derby beat Barnsley (which they should) then Burnley will need a result against Ipswich in the early kickoff next Saturday, to win promotion. That's what we need. So come on Wigan, and come on Derby. And Watford :)

Last edited:

Threeagles

Dec 1, 2012
I think it is yours to lose. By far the easiest run in. I just feel that the play off winners will be either QPR or Wigan but then again no one gave Palace a chance last year so who knows. You have to be in it to win it, and I do believe you will be one of the four teams in with a shout. Maybe see you next year....

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
6 points from our 2 home games isn't needed, but could make our final game at Forest a hell of a lot easier. It could mean only having to go there for a draw instead of needing all 3 points to get 6th spot.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
From this position if we don't make the play offs then we really don't deserve to. We can't keep relying on others. Palace scraped in last season, anything is possible. 7 points will do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No one's giving Ipswich a chance of winning 3 games. If they need to win the last at home to Sheffield Wednesday :lol: then I expect they will. If Burnley are already promoted, they'll be wasted when Ipswich turn up, so that's another easy 3 points. That leaves them needing a win against either Watford or Bournemouth. It's not that unlikely. I just hope Wigan and Derby make Burnley wait another game until they're promoted.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
No one's giving Ipswich a chance of winning 3 games. If they need to win the last at home to Sheffield Wednesday :lol: then I expect they will. If Burnley are already promoted, they'll be wasted when Ipswich turn up, so that's another easy 3 points. That leaves them needing a win against either Watford or Bournemouth. It's not that unlikely. I just hope Wigan and Derby make Burnley wait another game until they're promoted.

It makes today's game v Watford so important in the scheme of things.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would agree with 7 from 9. But given that everyone seems to be doing their best to avoid 6th place, it's to hard to call. A 1-0 defeat today would have moved us up a place.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Win the two home games and I think the Forest game will be a dead rubber.......... just my view though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think we're almost definitely going to need something at Forest, which concerns me as it's not a happy hunting ground for us.

If we win our next two, we'll be on 71 points going into the last game, so for the Forest game to mean nothing, we would need:

Reading to lose one of either M'boro at home or Donny away
Ipswich to lose 2 of Watford away, Bournemouth at home or Burnley away
Bournemouth to not win both of Ipswich away and Forest at home

Today's Watford Ipswich game is MAHOOSIVE - Really need a Watford win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here