Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many NSC members work at Amex

D

Deleted User X18H

I worked at Amex for a brief while they had a system called 'care' which you could easily override and increase people's credit limits for a laugh. I also looked up the cards of the rich and famous and brought up Salman Rushdie's account that obviously showed his movements around the world, all got a bit messy after that and I got moved to Burgess Hill stayed there for a month or so. Matt Hicks used to work there well he dipped in and out!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I worked in TCDCU 1978-82 every summer.

EVERY lunchtime was spent in the pub opposite.

TCDCU 1986-87 :wave:

Ended up spending 10 years with Amex before being outsourced to Xerox but still working in Amex house. Made redundant in 2002 (KEEEERCHIIIING) and started back with Amex the next day in the project office :lolol:

Left finally about 5 years ago (but TBH, would go back tomorrow if I could)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is definitely a few of them in P Block, AMEX discussions have often been heard during the game, which says much for the quality of football over the years that people would rather talk about their work!!!!!

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Did some temping there a few years back during summer whilst at Uni - dont think ive ever worked with less enthusiasm or motivation ever- i actually got a quick chat off the boss about the amount of time i spent in the shitter - the work was so boring i would sleep off the 3 odd pints we had at lunch sitting on the Khazi.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Having spent some time recruiting staff in Brighton for another company I was always told by recruitment agencies to avoid AMEX staff as they would all be of a certain type, especially if they had been there a long time. Basically very good for working for AMEX but f***ing useless anywhere else. Far too institutionalised.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Having spent some time recruiting staff in Brighton for another company I was always told by recruitment agencies to avoid AMEX staff as they would all be of a certain type, especially if they had been there a long time. Basically very good for working for AMEX but f***ing useless anywhere else. Far too institutionalised.

Amex employees are one of two things: lifers or students.

Lifers stay because the benefits are great, students work there because it can offer flexibility...

I like it there though (Amex House) - Good atmosphere and enjoyable work. Mind you, I spend all day talking with my team about the Albion... :albion1:

Milton road crew

I worked in Harlands Road (Perrymount House) from 1973-1977, not one of the better firms I have worked for but in fairness, a long way from the worst either.

YOU MUST HAVE KNOWN BIRDMAN WHO WAS THERE AROUND THE SAME TIME,ALSO MY MUM WAS THERE AROUND THIS TIME:thumbsup: I JOINED IN 1977 TILL MADE REDUNDANT IN 1994 SOMETHING ABOUT MY LACK OF KEY BOARD SKILLS:facepalm:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
YOU MUST HAVE KNOWN BIRDMAN WHO WAS THERE AROUND THE SAME TIME,ALSO MY MUM WAS THERE AROUND THIS TIME:thumbsup: I JOINED IN 1977 TILL MADE REDUNDANT IN 1994 SOMETHING ABOUT MY LACK OF KEY BOARD SKILLS:facepalm:

I left in February 1977. I was a Shift Leader in the Computer Room. Can't remember too many people from then as a lot of water has flowed under my bridge since then. It was shortly before they moved the Computers to Edward Street where I did visit a while later. Having been there for over four years made me a veteran as the turnover was pretty high. I left because my age stopped my from progressing.

I left in February 1977. I was a Shift Leader in the Computer Room. Can't remember too many people from then as a lot of water has flowed under my bridge since then. It was shortly before they moved the Computers to Edward Street where I did visit a while later. Having been there for over four years made me a veteran as the turnover was pretty high. I left because my age stopped my from progressing.

:angel: DID YOU KNOW ANY OF THE GUYS FROM THE MAILROOM?:angel:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:angel: DID YOU KNOW ANY OF THE GUYS FROM THE MAILROOM?:angel:

Very well, Rod Clarke was in the year above me at St Pauls and I remember Derek. There was the driver guy too but the rest you'll need to remind me of. We had a lot to do with them a part of our job was to do the mailing of the billings. Did you ever see those machines ? Visitors would be far more interested in the Bell and Howell than any of the IBM Computer gear. My claim to fame was that I was the first person to use an IBM 1275 OCR reader sorter, something that really belongs in the past !

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Very well, Rod Clarke was in the year above me at St Pauls and I remember Derek. There was the driver guy too but the rest you'll need to remind me of. We had a lot to do with them a part of our job was to do the mailing of the billings. Did you ever see those machines ? Visitors would be far more interested in the Bell and Howell than any of the IBM Computer gear. My claim to fame was that I was the first person to use an IBM 1275 OCR reader sorter, something that really belongs in the past !

I used to work with Rory Clarke and knew Rod very well. One of my jobs was statement review. :lol:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I used to work for Travel in Prestamex House on Preston Road and then in Horley for a year or two. Was with Amex from 1981 - 1989. Still keep in touch with a couple of the friends I made there.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It seems that 50% of the workforce in Brighton at sometime worked for Amex and got made redundant. Self included.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here