Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many more players do we need for the big kick off?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
just a centre mid before kick off ideally, but would happily go with Stephens and KAyal central with Gross.

No idea why so many are desperate for a RB

Bruno and Rosnior are more than good enough.

Certainly a stronger pairing than Suttner and Bong, yet no one seems to think we need another left back...

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
just a centre mid before kick off ideally, but would happily go with Stephens and KAyal central with Gross.

No idea why so many are desperate for a RB

Bruno and Rosnior are more than good enough.

Certainly a stronger pairing than Suttner and Bong, yet no one seems to think we need another left back...

We have 3 first team left backs. Suttner, Bong and Rosenior.

Only Bruno and Rosenior at right back.

Liam will not go a full season without injury so in that situation we would only have Bruno, who is 36.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have 3 first team left backs. Suttner, Bong and Rosenior.

Only Bruno and Rosenior at right back.

Liam will not go a full season without injury so in that situation we would only have Bruno, who is 36.

Maybe so... but we are not desperate is my point, especially not before the opening day...unless we have terrible luck.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
I think we should have our complete squad ready for the start of the season, unlikely i know.

So therefore;

GK - But i'd be happy to have Sanchez as 3rd choice
RB/CB cover - Hopefully Gomez
CM - Defensive
Winger/ST - Another one like Brown. Lawrence would be perfect.
ST - An out and out pacey goal getter.

Gomez will not happen! He's had rave reviews this weekend after his display against Berlin! You will have to settle for Plezens Mateju who will sign by end of the week! He wasn't in their matchday squad over the weekend! Lawrence may come but not until Mahrez deal/replacement has been found!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Neither...just a big slice of optimism and hope! Wouldn't it be nice to recreate a Doncaster, with the BT commentator roaring...NEGRAAAAADOOOO!

So thats at least one player coming in then, as I we currently dont have a single player called Negrado.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wish we'd got Neto, he looked an absolute machine. Then would just be looking for an out and out pacy goalscorer. Fairly happy otherwise, I really think those panicking should look at the likes of Bournemouth or Burnley's squad when they first got into the Prem a couple years back. I genuinely believe ours is as strong, if not stronger.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Gomez will not happen! He's had rave reviews this weekend after his display against Berlin! You will have to settle for Plezens Mateju who will sign by end of the week! He wasn't in their matchday squad over the weekend! Lawrence may come but not until Mahrez deal/replacement has been found!

I have a punter who is a huge Liverpool fan, he seems to get some pretty accurate reports from sources back up north. He says the same. Klopp wanted to see him in pre-season to test fitness etc. He has passed with flying colours and now looks likely to stay.

Klopp rates him very highly it seems.

Next.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
As seems likely Mateju is signing...it will put to bed any idea that Gomez is coming! We do not spend best part of £2m on a development player, he's been in Plezens side for a while now so must be half decent! I still think we will get a Spanish no9 by the weekend. Would like Lawrence but not sure we need him right now( yes I know he's not a 9)...Will stick my neck out and plum for Negrado!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No idea why so many are desperate for a RBQUOTE]

You will soon see why.

I watch a lot of PL. The incredible pace and guile of PL left wingers and left backs will leave our 37 right back for dead. It will spotted with ease by PL coaches.

Has Bruno lost any pace in the last 5 years.... not for me, he was never pacey, these wingers are going to run by pretty much any full back, including Rosenior who is probably our quickest full back.

It helps having pace sure, but its not the end for defenders if they are a bit short of it.

We will see, but for me way too many are writing Bruno off way to early.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My only real concern I have for the season start is that we have no real premier experienced players...ok roseinor, Murray and sidwell were bit players in the prem and never really set it alight.

I would have liked to have seen an experienced striker or midfielder brought in, but who knows, that may come.

My biggest hope for the season is that if we have a poor start or don't get results we all want, the crowd don't turn against Hughton and we have scenes where the ground empties with 15 minutes to go, as we have history of that! We have to set our expectations that in the terms of money and standard of players we are going to be well out of our depth against many of the teams we are playing against and people have to get used to that straight away. The Man City game should not be a reflection of our season as they are light years away from us, in players, management, owners ability to spend, etc etc so we must look at our own mini league and that is how we must see ourselves.

Palace
West Brom
Watford
Bournemouth
Us
Swansea
Huddersfield
Newcastle
Burnley

So that must be our challenge to get points from them.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Has Bruno lost any pace in the last 5 years.... not for me, he was never pacey, these wingers are going to run by pretty much any full back, including Rosenior who is probably our quickest full back.

It helps having pace sure, but its not the end for defenders if they are a bit short of it.

We will see, but for me way too many are writing Bruno off way to early.

Pace isn't the issue. Bruno has thrived in the Championship as he a very clever player with vast experience, he has a great touch and control for a full back and looked good when we were the better team. In the Premier League he's going up against a fat better standard of player, he didn't need pace in the Championship because he had intelligence and guile, IMO that simply isn't going to be enough when we're under constant pressure.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My only real concern I have for the season start is that we have no real premier experienced players...ok roseinor, Murray and sidwell were bit players in the prem and never really set it alight.

Really ? Rosenior (138 appearances in the Prem), Sidwell (200 appearances), Murray (55 appearances) weren't "bit players" in the Prem were they ?
let alone Bruno (128 apps in La Liga), Hemed (100), Gross (70 in Bundesliga), Uwe (37), Suttner (49).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Pace isn't the issue. Bruno has thrived in the Championship as he a very clever player with vast experience, he has a great touch and control for a full back and looked good when we were the better team. In the Premier League he's going up against a fat better standard of player, he didn't need pace in the Championship because he had intelligence and guile, IMO that simply isn't going to be enough when we're under constant pressure.

If Bruno was 31 years old no one would be even suggesting Bruno is not up too the task, and as I say he is no slower now than he was then, ofcourse we are going to be unnder more pressure defensively, but its not like we are going to be defending on the half way line, leaving massive holes in behind us... well I certainly hope not anyway.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

I would have liked to have seen an experienced striker or midfielder brought in, but who knows, that may come.

My biggest hope for the season is that if we have a poor start or don't get results we all want, the crowd don't turn against Hughton and we have scenes where the ground empties with 15 minutes to go, as we have history of that! We have to set our expectations that in the terms of money and standard of players we are going to be well out of our depth against many of the teams we are playing against and people have to get used to that straight away. The Man City game should not be a reflection of our season as they are light years away from us, in players, management, owners ability to spend, etc etc so we must look at our own mini league and that is how we must see ourselves.

Palace
West Brom
Watford
Bournemouth
Us
Swansea
Huddersfield
Newcastle
Burnley

So that must be our challenge to get points from them.

Good post

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really ? Rosenior (138 appearances in the Prem), Sidwell (200 appearances), Murray (55 appearances) weren't "bit players" in the Prem were they ?
let alone Bruno (128 apps in La Liga), Hemed (100), Gross (70 in Bundesliga), Uwe (37), Suttner (49).

Apart from rosenior, Murray and sidwell are aging players who will not last a full season week in week out...that we know. They were both offloaded out of the prem by teams who realise don't they were not up to it, or suffered injuries...or do you not think that ? Those other players you quote have not played in the premier which every commentator and player who has played in it suggests is not like any other league in the world for intensity and speed.

That is why I suggest we need some players who have played at that level consistently....but perhaps you are tight...maybe we can compete with players that have never set foot in the prem? We will see.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If Bruno was 31 years old no one would be even suggesting Bruno is not up too the task, and as I say he is no slower now than he was then, ofcourse we are going to be unnder more pressure defensively, but its not like we are going to be defending on the half way line, leaving massive holes in behind us... well I certainly hope not anyway.

Again, I'm not questioning his pace or his age, I'm questioning whether he has the strength and defensive capability to survive in the Premier League. He's been magnificent as an attacking full back in the Championship, I personally have my doubts that he'll cope in the top division. I'd love to be wrong.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1 minimum before Man City - a Central Midfielder.

Which means Glenn will have to have the game of his life...
Hopefully this is very, very close and we get Propper in as the 22nd player in the 25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here