Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How many hours a week do you do at work?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
About 40 at work and another 5 planning and marking. Get paid for 35.

With so many unemployed why is it that those of us in work are working our nuts off. Surely we can work out a better system were everyone works less.

There actually aren't that many unemployed, particularly in the South East - the unemployment rate of 4.6% is the lowest in over 40 years.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Actually work about 55hours a week,but, when visits to the wholesalers, various shops for work are taken into account, nearer 60. A long, holiday 2 weeks every five years, Just the odd weekend off a year, apart from that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought the working time directive restricted the working week to no more than 48 hours (including overtime) on average over a 17 week period, unless the employee opts out.
On this basis how are firms expanding the working week to 50 hours.

There seems to be a desire to go back to Victorian working conditions.
How long before people are working twenty nine hours a day down mill

Most employees are signed out of the WTD. Either knowingly or more often than not because there is a term in their contract doing so when they sign their contract.

As for me 37.5 hours a week with a 4 mile commute each way. Nice being so local but hate my job and the company I work for.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
This thread has made me realise I'm working way too many bloody hours!! I have worked out I'm averaging 60 hours a week and I have around 3 to 4 hours a day travelling to and from work (on top of the 60 hours) its traffic pending as the journey is a freaking nightmare!!!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've noticed many unscrupulous companies increasing hours like there's no tomorrow and was wondering how your quality of life is deteriorating because of the demands in the modern day.

It's gone from 37.5 to 40 to 45 to 50 for many and I'm sure many actually do far more than that???

Interesting that despite people working longer hours, we're getting no more productive, especially outside of manufacturing and industry. Given that I guess productivity is measured against contracted hours that means the UK is getting less productive. I'm not that surprised given what I see when I'm in an office - Would love to see an hours in office v hours actually working calculation....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Do my contracted 37.5 hours a week with 35 min commute each way.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I do 45-55 hours a week, through choice. 16-30 mins each way commute. I can start when I like and, with in reason, leave when I like, knocking off early on weekday match nights to beat the rush.
I really enjoy my job as I have a chance to use my brain. For me(barring a lottery win) it's where I can see myself working at retirement age.
I not on bad money either

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I alternate between 60 and 24.

T'is strange just how quickly the 60 hour week comes round!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Mon - Fri 8am - 3pm.
20 minute drive to work
Lovely jubbly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
None! I am retired... thank God!

I tried that about 8 years ago but got so bored that after a year I went back to working with what Ben Elton used to call 'young adults'. Now do 4-6 hrs 4 days a week and thoroughly enjoy it :thumbsup:

Prior to that, about 60 hrs a week incl travelling :(

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I thought the working time directive restricted the working week to no more than 48 hours (including overtime) on average over a 17 week period, unless the employee opts out.
On this basis how are firms expanding the working week to 50 hours.

There seems to be a desire to go back to Victorian working conditions.
How long before people are working twenty nine hours a day down mill
Naturally but after looking for a new job myself recently I noticed that companies put a minimum of 50hrs required and naturally mention it as overtime etc.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Interesting that despite people working longer hours, we're getting no more productive, especially outside of manufacturing and industry. Given that I guess productivity is measured against contracted hours that means the UK is getting less productive. I'm not that surprised given what I see when I'm in an office - Would love to see an hours in office v hours actually working calculation....
Yes agree and clearly an office worker like many on here will do 40hrs a week while a other industry workers will do 50 and office workers tend to get a 1hr lunch while a warehouse man 30 mins etc etc.
My hours are 6 til 3 but I've done 6 til 4 or 5 most days as it's busy :)

Diffrent industries are certainly miles apart and I feel for the ones in retail who do weekends etc etc...

boik

Another one retired here. Cranked as much as possible into my pension from the age of 18 and now reaping the benefits after retiring at 55. This is my best job ever although the pay isn't much!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Currently around 50 hours per week but retire at Christmas. Plan to carry on working part time in the voluntary sector and possibly a bit of contracting / consulting if the right opportunities arise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here