Votes: 16 57.1%
  • LET HIM TAKE US DOWN

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Lets do it soon and give a proper manager a decent chance of keeping us up

Is that what our aim is for this season, survival? Maybe a lack of ambition from the players, manager and fans is what's hindering our performances. I thought I heard that DK said at the fans forum were aiming for a finish in the top 10?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes........it,s a real problem as to how we can afford to sign 2 quality players at £3,000 a week wages each (£6,000) to help put bums on seats and stop losing £80,000 a home game....(empty seats; 4,000 @ £20 )

Oh.........hang on a minute

So where are these two qualities players you have in mind?

I understand the ideals of the situation, but I don't think we are in the position to gamble. We have some very generous board members and non-board members, but can we ask them to break the bank? We are very close to the promised land of Falmer and I think it is going to be a case of sitting tight until we have some stability.

Are these expensive players guaranteed to bring instand success? I would rather hold onto the likes of Joel Lynch.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't like the man at all, but there's no point sacking him unless we can actually get someone good in - which we almost certainly won't.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
I used to think that Ernest was just a wind up merchant, but the record has been stuck for so long now that I don't know what to think.

1 away game - 1 defeat. So what.

Falmer has always been the top priority, and once the deadline for objections has passed, this is surely a good step in the right direction, and dare I say it, more important than us setting division 1 alight this year.

If Wilkins is given the resources to buy players then I expect him to make a challenge for the play-offs. But the most important thing is that the club survives. I'm sure we'd all rather be in our situation than Leeds'?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't like the man at all, but there's no point sacking him unless we can actually get someone good in - which we almost certainly won't.

But why would you want to sack him anyway? Of course, results have been disappointing, but what can you expect from a selling club that is having to plough money into a fund JUST to get permission for a stadium, let alone build it.

Our most promising period last season was when Wilkins had a chance to bring some men in, namely Whing, and the team seemed to be fairly complete.

He is still learning and we have shown at times that we are a tough side to beat or do you think our away form was just lucky. A certain Mr Ferguson was almost on the verge of getting the boot in his first season at Man Utd (even having spent millions) but they persevered. I am not saying we have a Fergie on our hands, but it would be churlish to be too hasty and sack him.

He has made two very good signings and we are one game into his first season in FULL control.

Ps Very good point Yorkie. Although we are obviously talking about smaller sums, it is all relative!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I know that we have only lost one game but if we lose at home to Northampton on Saturday I have a feeling that the kninives are going to be out for Wilkins big-time, and rightly so IMHO since it will say a great deal for our prospects this season. At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we really shouldn't be losing at home to the likes of Northampton.

:(

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rightly so? I did not attend, but the general consensus was that we deserved something from the game against a team we have never beaten on their home turf. Rightly so? Two games into the new season?

What they really need is some vocal support, but sadly, it will be a quiet old Withdean. :(

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Rightly so? I did not attend, but the general consensus was that we deserved something from the game against a team we have never beaten on their home turf. Rightly so? Two games into the new season?

What they really need is some vocal support, but sadly, it will be a quiet old Withdean. :(

I was taking into account our lamentable form in the final 10 games of last season as well. Maybe it is very harsh to judge him after just two games but my doubts about Mr Wilkins' management pedigree are growing by the week. I'll still be at Withers tho' as always.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I still think he deserves a fair crack of the whip. He has only been able to shape things properly this season and have full control of the pre-season schedule. It is heartening that he has been able to tempt Whing to join, who did help us in a (relatively) purple patch last season.

The fiasco at the end of last season, I thought, was due to the absence of Hammond and many of the key players running on empty and perhaps relaxing a bit too early having gained the survival target.

A bad workman does blame their tools, but you can only work with what you are given.

Looking forward to saturday!! Let us hope we do not have another suicidal ballboy!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The DEPRESSING thing is yesterday just seems to be a CARRY on from last season and even with a full pre season behind him Wilkins doesn't seem to have the knowledge or EXPERIENCE to change things.
If he had spent last season learning from McGhee instead of agitating for his job then things might have been DIFFERENT.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I still think he deserves a fair crack of the whip. He has only been able to shape things properly this season and have full control of the pre-season schedule. It is heartening that he has been able to tempt Whing to join, who did help us in a (relatively) purple patch last season.

The fiasco at the end of last season, I thought, was due to the absence of Hammond and many of the key players running on empty and perhaps relaxing a bit too early having gained the survival target.

A bad workman does blame their tools, but you can only work with what you are given.

Looking forward to saturday!! Let us hope we do not have another suicidal ballboy!

All fair points BOF. Let's hope for a good Saturday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
All fair points BOF. Let's hope for a good Saturday.

To be honest, I hope to be entertained and the result is not the be all and end all. I am probably being a bit too generous and there are obviously other mitigating factors. Managerial inexperience etc.

Why? Are you doing something fun after the football?
:lol:
I shall be celebrating my Birthday! The best present being 3 points in the bag....please!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I shall be celebrating my Birthday! The best present being 3 points in the bag....please!

Well, in that case, Franks Wild Years and myself will CANCEL the 3 shady ladies from South America (plus industrial-sized tub of baby lotion) that we had arranged at great expense to be delivered to your door Saturday evening. Hopefully, we'll get at least some of our money back...:angry::rant::angry:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is that what our aim is for this season, survival? Maybe a lack of ambition from the players, manager and fans is what's hindering our performances. I thought I heard that DK said at the fans forum were aiming for a finish in the top 10?

17th in the lague would be considered a successful season according to Wilkins in the Argus last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports