Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long can you hold your BREATH for ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The World Record is 22 minutes 22 seconds UNDER WATER!!

So, go and stick your face in the company bog and report back. :D

Doesn't count if you die. We need rules here.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Best thread of the year this one......great question Easy !

I haven't tried today yet, but after a few goes on Holiday in a swimming pool in California a few years ago got to 1min41secs.
I was still in my 40's at the time. I have never smoked, don't have children and my inside leg measurement is 34inches.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's much easier if you hyperventelate first, can do over 2 minutes easily. Always hold my breath through the Dartford tunnel on the way to away matches (we lose otherwise).

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Weird thing about breath holding: when diving, the pressure increases with depth and at 10 metres the pressure is doubled. When learning you do an "emergency ascent" from about that depth. You have to take out your regulator and exhale all the way up to prevent your lungs bursting. When I did it, the instructor said to blow out like blowing into a straw so the air comes out gradually. I blew out all the way up, for about 15 seconds but when I got to the surface, I still had virtually full lungs. That feels very weird.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I watched a prog about those static line divers when I was about 17. They showed how they prep for holding their breath. Some can hold theirs for ages. Anyway, they spend about ten mins breathing deeply and staying very calm and still to flood the blood cells with oxygen and then take a last, quite shallow breath and off they go. I tried it and held my breath for only about 2 mins 30. I doubt I could even do that nowadays.

2 mins 30 is excellent.

David Blaine had the world record for a while at 17 and a half minutes, before being beaten by the 22 minutes record. Thats oxygen-assisted though, breathing pure oxygen for 30 minutes beforehand. Normal breath-holding record is 11 and a half minutes.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
It's much easier if you hyperventelate first, can do over 2 minutes easily. Always hold my breath through the Dartford tunnel on the way to away matches (we lose otherwise).

Dartford tunnel on the way to work this morning

East Bore

ave speed 47 mph

1min 14sec

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Tend to steer clear of these things beacuse of my health condition but stopped when started to feel it at 1.36. Quite pleased with that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Easy, what HAVE you done. I've now been PREPARING my lungs for the last 10 miniutes in an attempt to BOSH OUT another record time. The woman opposite me thought I was having a panic attack.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
65 seconds but I'm an old bloke with COPD.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Thought about giving it a go then realised I actually like breathing! As you get older, you become more of a shepherd rather than blindly joining the sheeple

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
1m 16s is my best whilst going down on the missus

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I was thinking, will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

Don't know why, but when I read that I thought of Blackadder when Nursie says: 'A boy without a winkle? God be praised it's a miracle: a boy without a winkle!' And then, Sir Thomas Moore pointed out that a boy without a winkle is a girl. And everyone was really disappointed.."

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Knocked out a 2min 28 whilst at the printer. First time I tried it standing up. Felt a little more painful at the end.

The key is to clear your lungs of all the CO2 you can prior to it. Thats what the burning feeling is.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Knocked out a 2min 28 whilst at the printer. First time I tried it standing up. Felt a little more painful at the end.

The key is to clear your lungs of all the CO2 you can prior to it. Thats what the burning feeling is.

I remember the first time I tried something standing up it was a little painful at the end. It wasn't breathing though. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here