Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How long ago was it….

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When a bloke used to come round the pub selling seafood.
Must have been early 80s. We always called him Wally Winkle when he came round the Lord Nelson about half ten at night. Prob stopped around the same time as the Sally Army came round hypocritically flogging War Cry at about that same point in the evening ie when resistance was low :lol: Always remember my little mate Mick being mortally offended when he was offered a copy of Young Soldier instead :lolol:

Dodgy DVD Man, on the other hand, was a feature of The Brewery Tap for much of The Withdean Era. Gotta love buying a copy of March Of The Penguins for £1, even if it was recorded by somebody sat in a cinema in China. And if you tapped your nose and winked in just the right way, he'd produce this second bag of DVDs. Er, apparently... :blush:

Jul 7, 2003
Pretty sure there was someone still selling seafood in Chapmans in the early 90s - @Lenny Rider can probably confirm that.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Did he have big mussels?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With pubs selling food and snacks I guess that is one reason for the ending of the fish man/woman.
Greyhound Pub in Keymer was my local between '76 & '81 and recall Sally Army coming round plus I wooed my now wife with tasty mussels from the fish man.

el punal

With pubs selling food and snacks I guess that is one reason for the ending of the fish man/woman.
Greyhound Pub in Keymer was my local between '76 & '81 and recall Sally Army coming round plus I wooed my now wife with tasty mussels from the fish man.
Thank goodness it wasn’t crabs. :ohmy:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I like threads like this that remind me of things that I had long forgotten about.
When I used to drink in The Ship on the Lewes Rd a guy used to pop in selling seafood. I used to get a pot of prawns or winkles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here