Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important is it to get a forward this window?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Agree with the general sentiment here, it's not about our current options, it's about cover for injuries / suspensions. I can't believe we've let people go if we weren't very confident of replacing them. If we lose someone to injury then a suspension at the same time (pr another injury) is going to mean playing someone out of position or a formation change.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If we don't sign anyone now, in our current position, and we fail to go up then we may as well give up believing the stuff about our Premiership ambitions and accept being a Championship club. I don't have much of a problem with that but don't blow smoke up my ass (as they say). Shit or get off the pot Tony.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dave Nugent on loan would have been absolutely perfect. We were interested / in for him too. Weirdly this seems to have passed most of NSC by...

Last edited:

Our biggest problem last year was our lack of goals, and that period over Dec/Jan with all the injuries. Hemed did ok, but having Murray in the team as well as a strong defence has put us where we are this season.

We have depth all over the field, but we do need cover in the striker position. As numerous people have said, an injury to one of our strikers will affect our ability to score. Two of them and that could be the end of our season.

So IMHO I think we have to bring someone in. If we can't get someone better than what we have, we do need a decent back up.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Our biggest problem last year was our lack of goals, and that period over Dec/Jan with all the injuries. Hemed did ok, but having Murray in the team as well as a strong defence has put us where we are this season.

We have depth all over the field, but we do need cover in the striker position. As numerous people have said, an injury to one of our strikers will affect our ability to score. Two of them and that could be the end of our season.

So IMHO I think we have to bring someone in. If we can't get someone better than what we have, we do need a decent back up.

No - it really wasn't lack of goals...

How many times does it need to be said on here... it was goals conceded that screwed us over, not how many goals we scored! We scored joint top amount of goals last season!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Dave Nugent on loan would have been absolutely perfect. We were interested / in for him too. Weirdly this seems to have passed most of NSC by...

Salient points here:
1. Proves we are looking (obviously but there you go.)
2. We only know we were in for Nugent because he went elsewhere.

Ipso facto: we might have made umpteen approaches for strikers that are yet to bear fruit or be rebuffed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Salient points here:
1. Proves we are looking (obviously but there you go.)
2. We only know we were in for Nugent because he went elsewhere.

Ipso facto: we might have made umpteen approaches for strikers that are yet to bear fruit or be rebuffed.

Another point worth noting - we were close to signing Johnny Russell in August...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely imperative to get in a forward (striker) in this window IMHO. The footballing cliche says class is permanent, form is temporary. And currently the only class striker we have is Murray. Who isn't even ours.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Another point worth noting - we were close to signing Johnny Russell in August...

I am quite sure Russell is/was a target in this window (regardless of what may have been claimed elsewhere.) He seems to be short of fans on the Derby site but I rather suspect that many of their players would perform better elsewhere at present. Birmingham might offer way more than we would go to though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am quite sure Russell is/was a target in this window (regardless of what may have been claimed elsewhere.) He seems to be short of fans on the Derby site but I rather suspect that many of their players would perform better elsewhere at present. Birmingham might offer way more than we would go to though.

Maybe. I don't really understand the perceived wisdom that JR is out of favour at Derby though. He's been involved in 20 of their 25 league games, starting nearly all of them.
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=46520

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Maybe. I don't really understand the perceived wisdom that JR is out of favour at Derby though. He's been involved in 20 of their 25 league games, starting nearly all of them.
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=46520

I didn't mean he is out of favour, simply that the Derby forumites appear to want rid. I definitely believe that you can get a sort of new player bounce too, where they move on and appear to discover more form when actually more often than not it's just that they are playing in the right position/system and under a better manager. There must be one or two we could bring in that fit that brief, as long as they have shown some ability in the not too distant past.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just a further point for those that think we can go one up top if SB is injured, consider why Glenn was surplus at Bournemouth. I appreciate this is a level down but he'd simply not be as effective and would be dragged off knackered after an hour each match. Keep the 4-4-2, it has served us well.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I didn't think we needed a striker, but with the departure of Lulua and Manu, I think we now do.

Nugent (loan) would have filled the gap for his guile. If we are struggling o score against a strong defence and Knockaert gets injured we might come up short.

Kris Commons is back at Celtic now to Hibernian loss.

PS: we need more away goals.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I see there are already a few hints that CH would be happy if we didn't bring anyone in this month. Personally I think that is a massive gamble. We needed one in the summer, I think it is vital we strengthen now for a big push

I tried to post a poll but think I've messed it up

We have done the big push to get to where we are, now it needs maintenance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You realise that neither of you are coming across very well here, right?

You are right but, then again, I'm not the needy type that worries about how well I come across...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here