Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How gutted would you be if GP went to Newcastle?

How gutted would you be if Potter went to Newcastle

• Total voters

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
If reports are true and Potter is on only £1m per year. That's a very poor salary for a PL Manager.

If Brighton want to keep Potter they just offer the going rate for a PL Manager which is circa £3 - 4 million per annum. The top 3 or 4 managers might be on £5 - 6 million per annum.

So just up his salary and job done. If they don't then the more successful he is then the more attractive he will be to other clubs but certainly £1m per annum ain't gonna keep him at Brighton

Pretty sure GP will have some performance bonuses in his contract. If we finish in top ten, or dare to dream top 7 then that should have a decent bonus, as the club gets a shed load of extra cash for finishing that high. if he doesn't get a fair share of that then he'll be off smartish.
Higher than 14th/15th would see a new contract on higher wages . thats what I'd want.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Potter isn't stupid, he'd know whoever takes the next Newcastle job will simply be short-to-medium term while they transition to the big time (even if this salary is silly money!!)

However, is there a genuine chance we could lose Paul Barber to them?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a poll about “will he go?” but how you’d feel if he did.

I don’t think he’ll go but we are talking obscene money and the budget to buy ANY player in the world…chances like this are once in a lifetime if they do want him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gutted.

I’ve loved the evolution of the team under GP and simultaneously watching him as a young coach learn in the role.

Plus it’s great that he never whines about the club’s budget, he’s an alchemist who simply gets on with improving the players he has.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not a poll about “will he go?” but how you’d feel if he did.

I don’t think he’ll go but we are talking obscene money and the budget to buy ANY player in the world…chances like this are once in a lifetime if they do want him

But it's a job with no upsides. They will want instant gratification and expect success. This is NOT a job for an aspiring young manager.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’d be gutted because I would hate to lose him.

And gutted because I would be extremely disappointed in GP. I think it would take something really special to lure him away from our project, and I don’t think he would want to go and work for that lot for a moment

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Well he was rumoured to be allowed to speak to spurs but he had no interest in working with their owners. However 300-500% increase on his pay, I think everyone single person would change their jobs for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’d be surprised, money talks but that job is about as mercenary as they come.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm not sure what experience the Stavely/Saudi team has in football, but I suspect they might want a Billy Big Bollocks for manager etc. You don't come knocking on Brighton's door for that.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Awful job to have for the next couple of years……..(other than the inevitable payoff when getting fired):

But if you were offered say Two Million pounds a year, for 5 years, and it was written into your contract that if it all went tits up (at any point) you got paid out in full, tell me your eyebrows wouldn't be raised...

Also, all your backroom staff, with their wives and kids and mortgages got a 200% pay rise to come with you, would you not feel a little pressure?

All that aside, I don't think GP has got to the "let's throw the chequebook at him" level yet. He's ripped up a Noddy League, done well with a Championship side, and now he's showing great promise in the best league in the world - but that's not exactly something the owner of Newcastle United is going to salivate over.

Mr Potter is perfectly placed, right here, to prove what he can do. He's extremely lucky to have the best Chairman in the Premier League to back him, test him, and give him the platform he needs to prove he can build a great team without wasting money.

For now, I'm just loving seeing what he's building. It may fall down, it may not - but what a great time I'm having watching it!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’d be gutted, and I’m not as confident as others it won’t happen. As much as I hope Potter has the morals not to go there, he was also a professional footballer and will want to win things. This might be his best shot at a Champions League level club, and the ‘project’ might appeal to him, if you take at face value all the PR guff from the consortium about a long term project. In short, I’m worried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here