Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How good was Jake Robinson?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I liked Jake, never really recovered from the Dean Wilkins sacking I thought.

Was a typical striker that looked amazing when the goals were flowing. Like others I remember his hat trick at Huddersfield where I literally tore them up. He couldn't do anything wrong that day. Might have benefited from playing in a higher division but the fact he never did anything better than with us suggests he reached his limit with us. Was still a bright bit of excitement at the time though.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Slightly worrying that a man of 56 wakes up thinking about a former Albion striker 😂

But how good was Jake, I remember Dean Wilkins keeping him away from the press the night he became Albion’s youngest ever scorer in the Rolf Harris Paint Pot at the Withdean.

Ultimately did he underachieve given his ability, weighed down by our collective expectation or was he over hyped?

Not as good as John Robinson and nowhere near as good as Michael Robinson.

Is he our third choice Robinson?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I liked Jake, never really recovered from the Dean Wilkins sacking I thought.

Was a typical striker that looked amazing when the goals were flowing. Like others I remember his hat trick at Huddersfield where I literally tore them up. He couldn't do anything wrong that day. Might have benefited from playing in a higher division but the fact he never did anything better than with us suggests he reached his limit with us. Was still a bright bit of excitement at the time though.

Too right. Under Wilkins he looked a very good young striker. McGhee wanted a bustling sort like MaCammon to play constant long balls to. Unsurprisingly Jakey didn't look so good at this time

There also wasn't the club structure in place needed to effectively nurture young talent as there is now.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Remember watching him play regularly for the reserves at Woodside Road before making it to the first team. He was always such a stand out player and sure to break through. A shame as he just seemed to disappear from the professional game

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Over hyped by the fans, but certainly should have had a better career than he did.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Was it a Huddersfield away where him and a Cox tore them a new one? Came away from that game thinking we had two incredible youngsters, never quite hit the same heights after that, although I remember Cox scoring some stunners in amongst all the crosses that hit the first man :lolol:

Ultimately I think he was a player who burst onto the scene and was quickly found out, nice lad by all accounts shame he didn’t have a notable league career

He was on FIRE at orient.

We’ve got tiny coxpunk:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In another life with the right support and exposure he had the ability but not the careful handling plus he was unlucky in the managers he played under still have some great memories of his time with us

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Much maligned by some of our fanvase which was a shame for a young player trying to make his mark in the game. Wasn't the first though and probably won't be the last, remember the sickening abuse Colin Hawkins used to get.

The trouble with you is there is always a chance you're smirking while typing. But I'm probably making the age old mistake of reading something into your post. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here