Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How far have we come?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
F**king so this.
We have come so far, and Rome wasn't built in a day. We're adhering to FFP and doing a good job at it. We were a struggling League 1 team a few years back, and here we are consistently challenging for a top 6 place. The club is being run correctly, and even if TB wanted to chuck his life savings at it, it can't be done these days without potential penalties. Good work Tb and your team. Take the Leicester money for Ulloa, but please( as claimed, we didn't need to sell) use the cash to build on our existing playing staff

But isn't this the point? They won't use the cash to build.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
NSC is full of bedwetters! Surely it is better to reserve judgement to the start of the season not throw rattle out of prams at this stage. I am sure TB is aware that the squad needs strengthening and it is in his interest as well to do this. Let's wait and see what happens before we all throw ourselves off of the West Stand Upper!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Opinion of course, but I'm still holding my breath from the Bridcutt and Barnes sales.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this is the first season since we have moved to the amex i have not been excited about the upcoming season , i think it will be a stuggle if not a relegation fight

So you keep telling us. Over and over again.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
yep a long way , but now we have sold all our best players , and replaced them with lesser players the future is not looking good , i am expecting a relegation struggle this season

Evening all long time no banter.

Is that the general feeling ? expecting a struggle ? I'm not on a wind up but haven't been on for ages, whats been happening ? was hoping you would be joining us in the promised land so we could resume hostilities.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The OP says sorry as I tried to start it as a positive thread but that is impossible on NSC

Isn't that the truth? This place is now as bad as the comments section of The Argus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bit of a rebuild job, though whether we'll get a team as good as the 12/13 one for a while I really doubt it.

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer Upson Bridge
Bridcutt
Buckley Lopez Orlandi Vicente
Ulloa​

Look at the players in that team above. Just a shame we didn't have them all in and fit from the start of that year, as we would have won that league I'm sure. Think we were top on points from January to the end. Hurts a bit when you think how much we really blew it in the play-offs.

Ah well I suppose ultimately its about getting up there whatever way you can and then using the money won to build. Even if we are very unlikely to ever have such an illustrious team at this level for the foreseeable, I'm sure we'll get there eventually. Just not that confident it'll be this year :lolol:

Will enjoy it all the same.

**** me we were spoiled, weren't we? That 11 is incredible. Still grateful to Gus for some of the LIQUID football we were playing at the time, I think many on here didn't realise just how good we had it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All we get is FFP this FFP that, there are no sanctions or fines for the first two seasons which meant we could of been more ambitious last season. I understand the need for FFP but as a fan its as boring as hell.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All we get is FFP this FFP that, there are no sanctions or fines for the first two seasons which meant we could of been more ambitious last season. I understand the need for FFP but as a fan its as boring as hell.

Forget FFP and look at the losses the club is racking up year after year-THAT is the reality at The Albion.

Were you around when we were playing at Gillingham for 2 seasons because 'more ambitious spending' while we were in the old First Division led to Archer and Stanley destroying our club to the point of extinction?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
**** me we were spoiled, weren't we? That 11 is incredible. Still grateful to Gus for some of the LIQUID football we were playing at the time, I think many on here didn't realise just how good we had it.

We had it very good but I didn't know at the time that was our one big effort at getting to the Premier League though. Gus obviously did which makes his deflecting the blame for his failure to deliver onto TB, and his rush to exit the Albion even more annoying than I found it at the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We had it very good but I didn't know at the time that was our one big effort at getting to the Premier League though. Gus obviously did which makes his deflecting the blame for his failure to deliver onto TB even more annoying than I found it at the time.

I think it was more certain things he was promised or funds that had previously been available to him were then taken away when Barber came in, and some of the jobs he had a big say in, he lost. His job description changed quite dramatically it seemed, and he felt he wasn't happy that the job he was in had changed so much after having it so good early on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it was more certain things he was promised or funds that had previously been available to him were then taken away when Barber came in, and some of the jobs he had a big say in, he lost. His job description changed quite dramatically it seemed, and he felt he wasn't happy that the job he was in had changed so much after having it so good early on.

Possibly

Jan 30, 2008
The fact is we peaked with the 0-0 at Selhurst in the play off 1st leg and we have been in a slow decline ever since - despite TB's assertion about having a 'competitive squad' we are a lot lot worse of as a squad than we were mid-July last year!!
agree, anyone who says any different is a turnip in my eyes
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Here we are 4 seasons from Withdean and haggling over somewhere between 6 mil and 9 mil for a player.

Underlines things for me, the direction we are heading is as Yazz and the plastic population ( no pun intended) once said

Edit: sorry about the title but Stella Artois told me that is how to spell it
honeymoon is over, nice stadium shame about the rest :rolleyes:
regards
DR

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
We had it very good but I didn't know at the time that was our one big effort at getting to the Premier League though. Gus obviously did which makes his deflecting the blame for his failure to deliver onto TB, and his rush to exit the Albion even more annoying than I found it at the time.

I think you are rather missing the point about Poyets exit - he had fallen out with the board well before that final game partly because Barber, who sacked him and Ramos at Spurs, had been appointed and was making key decisions and despite getting us to the brink I have no doubt that Poyet deliberately prevented us from reaching the play-off final! We had beat the scum 3-0 at home a few weeks earlier and drew 0-0 up there and they were there for the taking and we start with no wingers?! He knew what he was doing and I for one will always hold that against him - whatever he did for us previously!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here