Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How does subsidised train travel work?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I've looked on club site under travel but can't find the answer. I'm also guessing the people with best knowledge precise details will be those who use it, so I'm turning to the good folk of NSC in the hope someone might enlighten me.

How far north does the train travel zone extend? We travel from Lincoln to Falmer by train for each home game, is there any way we can use transport levy supported train scheme to our advantage?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It used to be Haywards Heath. Haven't really been paying attention, but if train fares are subsidised within the zone rather than free, as in the old Withdean scheme, I'm also not sure how this would work when buying tickets from further afield.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Train is Shoreham to the west, HH to the north and Lewes and Seaford to the east. Bus extends out to Worthing definitely westwards and possibly Eastbourne to the east.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
From next season you'll get "free" transport within the zone, so just pay for a ticket to Haywards Heath or wherever the zone is. Thats what we used to do on the train from London, we drive into the zone now though.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
It used to be Haywards Heath. Haven't really been paying attention, but if train fares are subsidised within the zone rather than free, as in the old Withdean scheme, I'm also not sure how this would work when buying tickets from further afield.

Yes, that what I am wondering. I'm not complaining about levy, just wondering whether we can take any advantage from it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From next season you'll get "free" transport within the zone, so just pay for a ticket to Haywards Heath or wherever the zone is. Thats what we used to do on the train from London, we drive into the zone now though.

So free rather than just 'subsidised'? Brill - should make that £30 back easily.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

OK. We get train from Victoria which stops at Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Brighton from memory. Do you know how/whether it would work on this line?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

If you go via Lewes from London you obviously go through Haywards Heath, so will you only have to get a ticket to HH - or do you need to get one to Lewes?!

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
OK. We get train from Victoria which stops at Clapham Junction, East Croydon and Brighton from memory. Do you know how/whether it would work on this line?

Yeah its fine. All you need is a ticket to the edge of the zone and then travel voucher as it is now and next year im presuming effectively your season ticket kicks in for the rest of the journey.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
If you go via Lewes from London you obviously go through Haywards Heath, so will you only have to get a ticket to HH - or do you need to get one to Lewes?!

Haywards Heath to Lewes is within the zone, so again a ticket to Haywards Heath will do.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Yeah its fine. All you need is a ticket to the edge of the zone and then travel voucher as it is now and next year im presuming effectively your season ticket kicks in for the rest of the journey.

Thanks. So I guess that means we buy a ticket to a station where train doesn't actually stop, and then show our ST/voucher from there. Hope the train and station staff are aware of all this!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This is a an opportunity for [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] to make a proper constructive useful contribution from his job on the railway.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thanks. So I guess that means we buy a ticket to a station where train doesn't actually stop, and then show our ST/voucher from there. Hope the train and station staff are aware of all this!

Not sure you can do that. If the train does not stop at Haywards Heath would your "free" travel from HH to Brighton be valid?
You could of course catch the Victoria to Eastbourne/Hastings train which stops at CJ/EC/Gatwick and HH and then stay on that to Lewes.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The zone is indeed Worthing to Lewes to Seaford to Haywards Heath, it is not worth messing about if you're travelling long distance as a ticket to Falmer would be the same as Brighton from London and further afield.

As for buying a ticket to Haywards Heath and then travelling on your voucher technically it wouldn't be valid if your train didn't stop at Haywards Heath. Two tickets must be used on trains that stop at that station or you need to book to the next station which would be Brighton so you would be travelling without a valid ticket if you caught the Fast Brighton trains that don't stop at Haywards Heath.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Does anyone know why the zone has never extended as far east as Eastbourne? As it stands we will as before have to purchase a return to Lewes.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone know why the zone has never extended as far east as Eastbourne? As it stands we will as before have to purchase a return to Lewes.

Probably because the club couldn't afford it, or the ticketing database shows that only a minority of fans live there. Can't keep expanding it to cover every season ticket holder.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yr
Probably because the club couldn't afford it, or the ticketing database shows that only a minority of fans live there. Can't keep expanding it to cover every season ticket holder.

I am inclined to think its the former and therefore its based on quite a significant amount of fans coming from Eastbourne area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here