[Technology] How does a Firestick work?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In his opening post BG references Firestick.

If he and you are to blooming stupid to write 'Firestick' in the box with search written in, and next to it, then that's on you not me.

Indeed he does he asks for advice on items 'like a firestick'. Suggesting to those of us not as blinded or as stupid as you that he wants advice on a whole range of tech. Stop being an utter prick. Either help him or don't post

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I've been completely titsy about this due to repeatedly trying to help the great and the good on this subject, only for my help to be completely ignored.

Proved again now by you asking the one question on the very thread that has answered it at least 5 times already.

Well it’s not obvious to me. I’ve read the thread and I don’t recognise a kodi addon which has been mentioned 5 times. So be a good fella a point it out to this simple individual.

On a other hand I could say stop being the bell end of NSC this morning. A user asked a question on a subject that isn’t obvious to many. He justified the reason for his query and you just get on your high horse because nobody listened before. Do you expect people to sift through endless threads because you have time to do so.
Asking a simple question doesn’t always need such a pedantic response.

As I said I’m pretty set up with iptv and know what I’m doing so I can live without your advice. No skin off my nose. I’m happy to help anyone that needs questions answering. No question is stupid and I don’t mind repeating myself.

Hope your day gets better but suspect you’ll find anything irritating today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed he does he asks for advice on items 'like a firestick'. Suggesting to those of us not as blinded or as stupid as you that he wants advice on a whole range of tech. Stop being an utter prick. Either help him or don't post
All of which would have been comprehensively answered if he and plenty of others who joined in after had either:-

Written Firestick into the search function.

Or

Remember the advise they got the last time they asked, just a couple of months ago.

With the final caveat of

Reading the actual thread on which you have a specific question.

and yes I am being a complete and utter prick about this, I assume it's other frustrations (of which I have plenty) being projected onto here instead of dealing with the real world.

What's your excuse?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well it’s not obvious to me. I’ve read the thread and I don’t recognise a kodi addon which has been mentioned 5 times. So be a good fella a point it out to this simple individual.

On a other hand I could say stop being the bell end of NSC this morning. A user asked a question on a subject that isn’t obvious to many. He justified the reason for his query and you just get on your high horse because nobody listened before. Do you expect people to sift through endless threads because you have time to do so.

As I said I’m pretty set up with iptv and know what I’m doing so I can live without your advice. No skin off my nose. I’m happy to help anyone that needs questions answering. No question is stupid and I don’t mind repeating myself.

Let's not forget this is a subject that traditionally always required a level of coyness.

#2 gives you all the key words you need to move forward and where (YouTube)
#3 Tells posters what not to buy.
#14 Tells everyone which specific model.
#18 Throws coy out the window and also provides a link
#19 follows suit
#27 Another reference to you specific question
#28 and another
#36 and another
#44 and another
#51 A reminder of how to load your Firestick

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Google "how to install fikelinked on firestick" - follow instructions.
Once installed Google "best filelinked codes 2020"
Choose one, follow instructions. Then you'll be able directly install these apps on your Firestick without any use for kodi.

Some good apps to keep an eye on, Live Net TV, Swift Streamz and Cinema HD.
These cover all sports, movies, TV shows etc.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Let's not forget this is a subject that traditionally always required a level of coyness.

#2 gives you all the key words you need to move forward and where (YouTube)
#3 Tells posters what not to buy.
#14 Tells everyone which specific model.
#18 Throws coy out the window and also provides a link
#19 follows suit
#27 Another reference to you specific question
#28 and another
#36 and another
#44 and another
#51 A reminder of how to load your Firestick

Holy shit. Get a life!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
People use IPTV or Kodi?

tenor.gif

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I got a question, if anyone can it would be much appreciated as I am useless with tech!

Ive recently got a Firestick, how does a VPN work on there?

This might sound really daft but I have NordVPN on my laptop, would I just download Nord onto my Firestick and the VPN would automatically activate? If not how do you activate it?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I got a question, if anyone can it would be much appreciated as I am useless with tech!

Ive recently got a Firestick, how does a VPN work on there?

This might sound really daft but I have NordVPN on my laptop, would I just download Nord onto my Firestick and the VPN would automatically activate? If not how do you activate it?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I use IP vanish so assuming its the same, on the firestick go to the app store and look for Nord VPN. Download it and then use the same account details as your windows device.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I use IP vanish so assuming its the same, on the firestick go to the app store and look for Nord VPN. Download it and then use the same account details as your windows device.

Thanks, does the VPN just automatically turn on every time you turn on the Firestick? On my laptop does but you can obviously turn it off and on by closing the app.

On the Firestick I think you can only run one app at time, thats why I ask.

Sorry my tech knowledge is shocking :eek:

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
No it will not, you will have to connect it each time.

It will run in the background once connected. It will disconnect once you either disconnect it on the app, or unplug the power to the device.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thousands of IPTV and Kodi box users to receive police letter this week warning them of JAIL

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/thousands-iptv-kodi-box-users-19454676

That's all very well for them to bleat on about the broadcasters losing millions of pounds, but if the cost to watch, for example, Premier League football in the UK was in line with the cost in other countries perhaps people would be less inclined to go this way. It's about £8.40 a month in Australia, or if you pay for a year in one go it works out about £6.50 a month. And for that you get to watch every EPL match, live. Plus you get Champions League, all the UEFA international matches too.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That's all very well for them to bleat on about the broadcasters losing millions of pounds, but if the cost to watch, for example, Premier League football in the UK was in line with the cost in other countries perhaps people would be less inclined to go this way. It's about £8.40 a month in Australia, or if you pay for a year in one go it works out about £6.50 a month. And for that you get to watch every EPL match, live. Plus you get Champions League, all the UEFA international matches too.

Thing is Australia negotiate and pay what they think it's worth and the limit of what viewers will pay.

Simple supply and demand. Sky and BT know they can pay £x trillion to the PL because there's a huge number of people prepared to pay the subscription. They profit nicely tyvm

Personally I refuse, simply because I abhor the thought of that kind of money going to the likes of Grealish and Co. I accept many aren't like him but many are, and they reward for their contribution to society is totally out of whack

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thanks, does the VPN just automatically turn on every time you turn on the Firestick? On my laptop does but you can obviously turn it off and on by closing the app.

On the Firestick I think you can only run one app at time, thats why I ask.

Sorry my tech knowledge is shocking :eek:

As [MENTION=3353]Lander[/MENTION] says if you are using a software solution then you'll probably have to start the VPN app and connect each time. Their may be a hack to do it automatically but its probably not worth the hassle.

If you want an always on solution then I've gone down the route of having a second wireless router that has VPN support built in. I have an Asus which was pretty inexpensive (£30ish). It's pretty straightforward to setup (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/113805/) even for a non techy then you simply connect to that wireless network and all traffic goes through your VPN.

Word of warning though services like Amazon Prime and Netflix may detect you are going through a VPN and won't work so its worth keeping your direct connection available.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
As [MENTION=3353]Lander[/MENTION] says if you are using a software solution then you'll probably have to start the VPN app and connect each time. Their may be a hack to do it automatically but its probably not worth the hassle.

If you want an always on solution then I've gone down the route of having a second wireless router that has VPN support built in. I have an Asus which was pretty inexpensive (£30ish). It's pretty straightforward to setup (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/113805/) even for a non techy then you simply connect to that wireless network and all traffic goes through your VPN.

Word of warning though services like Amazon Prime and Netflix may detect you are going through a VPN and won't work so its worth keeping your direct connection available.

No it will not, you will have to connect it each time.

It will run in the background once connected. It will disconnect once you either disconnect it on the app, or unplug the power to the device.

Cheers guys, I'll install Nord and give it a run.

I only recently got the Firestick and didnt realise you could run two apps at the same time (i.e nord and bbc i-player), hence why I thought you needed a VPN to auto connect :facepalm:

I'll just connect and de-connect the VPN when needed if thats the case as I dont use the Firestick all too often atm.

What are the best apps for finding some of the American series in the 'Obsure' thread? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports