Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you say no to Brighton beggars?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The majority of these beggars have had very hard upbringings. Their lives have been and are, a lot tougher than most peoples. Whenever I have the chance to give them the odd quid here and there, It doesn't bother me one bit. I always keep in my mind what it would feel like to be them and how lucky I am not to be in there sad situation.

God know how anyone can have an issue with them asking for a tiny bit of help?

How do you know that ?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
It's the chuggers that piss me off (quite a few of the homeless in London are ex-servicemen - so try to
give)

Chuggers I completely ignore or tell them under my breath "to get out of my f******* way". They have a habit of standing
in your path.

I walk past Kings Cross on the way to my train every day. The number of chuggers there is astonishing. I find a purposeful fast walk, coupled with wearing headphones seems to put them off....

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I do find it amazing how many of the Big Issue sellers seem to be of a Romanian/other Eastern European persuasion. Nearly all the sellers I see in London seem to be these days. Seems a bit suspect to me, but I do sometimes buy a copy-it's not a bad read to be fair and at least they are working rather than begging.

Oct 25, 2003
during the day remember that those on the streets are often there with the sole intention to beg rather than actually get any help by engaging with services. Our homeless services are superb in Brighton & Hove and as a rough sleeper you can be looked after from 8am-4pm and as for food you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner for free mon-fri & sunday and breakfast and dinner for free on saturday

giving someone change really isn't going to help them out of their situation to be frank

also- remember that the vast majority of homeless people receive some sort of benefits, it's a myth that you need an address to receive benefits

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I used to buy The Big Issue from one particular guy a few years ago. He seemed pretty genuine and always good to talk to. Don't give now as mostly you are feeding some sort of habit. Give to charities through my wages now

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I used to buy The Big Issue from one particular guy a few years ago. He seemed pretty genuine and always good to talk to. Don't give now as mostly you are feeding some sort of habit. Give to charities through my wages now

Whether you call smoking a habit, but the Big Issue guy outside our local Waitrose, nice chap, but smokes.
So a no from me.

D

Deleted User X18H

If you live in Brighton, you could tell yourself that you are already funding their hostel/day care/addiction/keyworker/rehab etc through your council tax. If you want to give a little more to help fund their addiction too, that's up to you.

But only people with a Brighton connection are entitled to support from Brighton & Hove council, and over half of the people begging on the streets have come here because people are generous and it's a fairly tolerant city. That's why the problem needs bigger thinking and national funding.

How does one acquire a Brighton connection?

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
With the pathetic liberal limp wristed council the city centre had to endure under Caroline Clueless and her cronies, is it any surprise more and more homeless have come here.
A council leader who publicly supported foreigners illegally camping in the Steine Gardens sends out a great message...come to Brighton...do want you want!.....at the behest of the local people obviously!

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I never give money but have on occasions given food in the form of a £3 meal deal.
Is this to make me feel better about myself?? Maybe......but I try to think that the majority of those begging would not choose to be in that situation. Either due to mental health issues, wrecked childhoods etc.
Don't know if that makes me a limp wristed liberal? But I think it might have more to do with having a slight nagging fear of ending up in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I have given the odd quid (as someone has said, if it makes them happy, drink drugs whatever it's up to them) however and I'm possibly overthinking this, but if they spend it in the bookies or on booze that's one thing, but if it's on heroin, yourpound is funding 1) the addict who will possibly commit crimes such as burglary or mugging to fund it further. 2) the Street dealer, the wannabe gangster who also commits petty crime, is no doubt violent and also a general shit. 3) the middle men, Eastern Europeans (?) who are also violent and here illegally (see "other stuff" to see how that's perceived on NSC) 4) Mr Big, massive house and cars and generally as friendly and pleasant as Kenneth Noye 5) The top (there may be others inbetween, I don't know) Afghan/Pakistani Terrorist gangs? Someone's making millions here.

It's only a quid you say, but multiply that by the number "reaching out to someone in need" in Brighton alone, multiply that by the number of major cities in the U.K. Multiply that with 365 days a year.

It probably equates to enough to bring a plane down.

However, like I said I'm probably overthinking this (and possibly talking out my arse)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I never usually have change on me, but if I do I'll give a bit out if I'm asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here