Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you PIMP your baked spud?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Important question: what is the optimum baking time and temperature for achieving maximum skin crispiness?

Was about to ask the same. I tend to give a single large spud about 7-8 mins on full power microwave, then into oven for about 45 mins at 200 degrees. You have to pierce skin otherwise it will explode.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Scooping out baked potatoes make the best Mash - Fact

(and you can fill the empty skins with stuff and eat that too - everyone's a winner)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I microwave to soften the potato then cook in the oven until crisp then I tend to use two variations for toppings
Old fashioned "bacon beano" (pan fried onions and bacon lardons with baked beans) or seared chorizo and mushrooms finished in seasoned double cream. Both delish!

I am glad I am not the only Bacon Beano. I need to show this thread to my wife as she (and the mother in law) think I am mental for putting bacon within the baked beans. Theyare both veggie so just don't really understand. Although, the Bacon Beano with Quorn Chicken addition isn't too bad on the odd occasion

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Bake, halve, scoop out. Mix in crispy Bacon lardons, chopped spring onion, cheese butter and black pepper. Restuff halves, sprinkle with extra cheese and pop back in oven.
Apologise to family for impending early death.
Eat.

Sorry, was trying to do a thumbs up and it's turned out to be a red-tinged thumbs down - how can it be fixed ??

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
There's an amazing independent Jackie P shop in Edinburgh that does any toppings and from here my favoured ideas have been:

1) coleslaw and tonnes of cheese - pretty standard.

2) jazz the above up with the addition of pineapple and hot sauce. Works brilliantly.

3) home made guac and cheese

4) old fashioned cheese and beans. Re heated to melt the cheese please

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
E
There's an amazing independent Jackie P shop in Edinburgh that does any toppings and from here my favoured ideas have been:

2) jazz the above up with the addition of pineapple and hot sauce. Works brilliantly.

Ooh.........Guacamole, chilli & Monterey Jack................IDEA!!!!!

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

Under no circumstances should coleslaw be placed near a baked potato, particularly if it is of the 'shop bought' variety.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

(and you can fill the empty skins with stuff and eat that too - everyone's a winner)

Very true. The mash tastes extra 'potatoey' as none of the flavour is lost through boiling.

As an added bonus there's no hassle of peeling potatoes. After an hour in the oven the skin slides right off.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Oh yes Sir.

Love bangers 'n' mash, with the mash made that way. Also usually fry an egg with a runny yolk, and mash it up into the potato

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Summer fruit compote with vanilla crème fraîche.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Beans, cheese, a bit of pesto and some black pepper.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Under no circumstances should coleslaw be placed near a baked potato, particularly if it is of the 'shop bought' variety.

I didn't say it was shop bought did I?

Carrot, white and red cabbage, red onion small amount of coriander, tablespoon of mayo and a sprinkling of paprika ought to do the trick.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Brush with olive oil and SEA salt. Pierce with a fork, five minutes in microwwave then bake.

The oil and salt combine to make the skin extra crispy.

Fill with chilli con carne, cheese, beans or coleslaw.

Sleep in a separate room from the wife, or get tent pegs for the duvet.

All the above, except I don't do the beans or coleslaw and live on my own so no need for last bit :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here