Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you indicate going straight over (second exit) a normal roundabout?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'm by no means a rude driver

but when going straight on at a roundabout I've never indicated in 30 years of driving and never had any problems

indicating when your going straight on just confusses the issue

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I am saying there are two lanes on the approach to the roundabout, and two exits from the roundabout (A283 south and A283 north - not a lot of traffic is going to go back where it came from on the A27 east). As such it makes sense that the left lane is used for the A283 south and the right the A283 north. Either that or the 500m long right hand lane coming off the A27 westbound is pretty pointless.

LIke it or not, there are three exits even if you think not many will turn back on themselves.

The thing with roundabouts is that there are general rules which apply however there are circumstances where local traffic may treat it differently. However, that should be because the majority of local traffic treat it that way and not the odd person.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm by no means a rude driver

but when going straight on at a roundabout I've never indicated in 30 years of driving and never had any problems

indicating when your going straight on just confusses the issue

No, it doesn't, indicators are there to give other drivers information as to your intentions. Although you're technically driving in a straight line you're still using an exit, therefore you should indicate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
shouldn't you be at school?

If you're talking driving school then no, as I have a day off!

See post 46. Your signalling doesn't really affect you, it's for the benefit of other users. As long as you are ok you don't seem to care about the other road users. Do you ever consider how much easier it is to get on a roundabout if the cars coming round are indicating left and you know there is an opportunity for you to join it!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
No, it doesn't, indicators are there to give other drivers information as to your intentions. Although you're technically driving in a straight line you're still using an exit, therefore you should indicate.

I suppose when I started driving there was alot less cars on the road and old habits die hard

my lad has just passed his driving test and he does all this indicating business at roundabouts

so I put my hand up

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
LIke it or not, there are three exits even if you think not many will turn back on themselves.

The thing with roundabouts is that there are general rules which apply however there are circumstances where local traffic may treat it differently. However, that should be because the majority of local traffic treat it that way and not the odd person.

Well it's poor design in that case, because you often end up with a big queue in the left hand lane and nothing in the right. And with regard to your last sentence local traffic will only start to treat it in such a way after a few people have made an example of it.

Modern roundabout design standards incorporate "jet lanes" to segregate traffic on the roundabout and ensure that there is no need to indicate left before leaving the roundabout. Southerham roundabout at Lewes is a good example. The more of these that are built, the more likely it is that drivers will get out of the habit of indicating left.

The other thing about jet lanes, of course, is that drivers need to be aware that, as they leave the roundabout, there is a good chance that they will need to give way to faster moving vehicles coming from their left. Do driving schools teach new drivers about this?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How does the silver car know your intentions if you give no signal until you've past his exit.

Tricky?

Bar the mini-roundabouts, I tend to flash right until I've gone past the last exit I'm not taking, then flash left to signal my intention to exit the roundabout. This confirms to those waiting to join the roundabout that I'm not turning off yet, so stay put.

But in that example picture, maybe no signal would suggest my intention is to go straight on? But risks the silver car pulling out as might assume you're turning left at his junction.

Eees complicaated - probably why the Yanks don't have (m)any roundabouts.

No issue apart from bad drivers. Not enough know the highway code properly (such as your post). Amazing really people drive around without a clue how to behave around other road users. Everyone makes mistakes but ignorance is dangerous.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Modern roundabout design standards incorporate "jet lanes" to segregate traffic on the roundabout and ensure that there is no need to indicate left before leaving the roundabout. Southerham roundabout at Lewes is a good example. The more of these that are built, the more likely it is that drivers will get out of the habit of indicating left.

The other thing about jet lanes, of course, is that drivers need to be aware that, as they leave the roundabout, there is a good chance that they will need to give way to faster moving vehicles coming from their left. Do driving schools teach new drivers about this?

Those type of roundabouts tend to be at major interchanges. Surely you shouldn't have any vehicle coming around fast on your left hand side! The driver on the left should be giving way to you, as on any roundabout.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Great thread.

I will add, as I do every time roundabouts are brought up on NSC, that Seven Dials isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
When I took my test we were told that the middle lane on a roundabout was for straight over or taking an exit to the right. We were told to indicate right, the left as we exited. Things must have changed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When I took my test we were told that the middle lane on a roundabout was for straight over or taking an exit to the right. We were told to indicate right, the left as we exited. Things must have changed.

When did you take your test then? Also, there aren't many roundabouts that have three lanes on the entry.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

See if I arrived at a roundabout and someone bang opposite me arrived at the same time, if we're BOTH going straight over, then we can pass like ships in the night. No indicating necessary. If he starts indicating right though, then I'll assume he's turning right and so will wait. If he then indicates left and turns into my road, meaning I could've carried on straight over unmolested, then I'd probably give him the finger on his way past me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here