Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel when weve lost?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Usually pi@@ed off on the day/evening, a plethora of NSCs posts lances the boil, then okay the next day.

Probably a longer hangover when it's the clubs I can't stand - the London clubs, Manure. Also annoyed for longer when I see manager/player blunders, on repeat in a game, gifting the points ....... AEK, West Ham. A painful watch almost in slow motion ..... raising questions in real time ..... why've we only got two in CM when they're bossing us with three, why's a fit Veltman not playing?
It was a depressing weekend of sport just gone too, England lost Cricket and rugby, we lost, Leeds won, Pompey won and remain top and to cap it Villa won on Monday, I’m still f***ed off !!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
At the game usually a bit meh to be honest,if I'm watching it on the telly and we lose its straight to the fk off world shed for a hour to calm down.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember going to the Goldstone in my teens, often as a last-minute decision, with little knowledge of who we were playing or what the result would mean. It was just a laugh and a good afternoon out with mates. Win, lose or draw, it didn't matter that much. Beers later that evening, some chat about the funniest chants or best goals, and we all moved on.

Occasionally I'd dial the Seagull Line to hear what Barry Lloyd made of it all and then I forgot about the Albion for a few days.

Now, almost every waking moment gives me the opportunity to consult Twitter for Brighton updates, check or contribute to NSC, hear BHA-related rumours from my kids, pick up on stories in the wider media, and – if I'm not careful – let it all take over my life.

So by the time you actually get to a match, you can be too tense to enjoy it, and slump into a decline if the result isn't right.

I've tried to achieve a better balance in recent years. Learn from Chris Hughton – not too carried away when we win, not distraught when we lose.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not a trap question, until moving to Sussex, was your heart with another club?

In my experience many later Albion fans, some who cerebrally just love the sport, are more relaxed about it all.
In Scotland? Was a home and away travelling Partick Thistle fan, even as a kid. Me dad worked for British Rail, and before I was even 12 years old, if he was working, he used to let me travel the length and breadth of Scotland with me little brother in tow. I dare say it was probably illegal to let us do that. We just assumed it was a normal thing to do. Free rail travel, invariably complimentary tickets from the Thistle players. Usual our main matchday expenses would run to a macaroon bar and a spearmint chewing gum 😀

Having been forcibly relocated to Kent in my teens, I used to just cherry pick the, er, pick of First Division games for the upcoming Saturday. Strictly in terms of entertainment value. Which meant a strict pecking order of West Ham, Chelsea, QPR, Arsenal and, last but least, Spurs

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I used to get very fed up when we were facing relegation, and fighting for survival, but nowadays I shrug my shoulder and think, Oh well, onto the next game.
Imo, losing 2-1 to Man City is an improvement on the 3-0 loss we had a few years ago, and my feelings were more concerned with my Aunt who died on Saturday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In Scotland? Was a home and away travelling Partick Thistle fan, even as a kid. Me dad worked for British Rail, and before I was even 12 years old, if he was working, he used to let me travel the length and breadth of Scotland with me little brother in tow. I dare say it was probably illegal to let us do that. We just assumed it was a normal thing to do. Free rail travel, invariably complimentary tickets from the Thistle players. Usual our main matchday expenses would run to a macaroon bar and a spearmint chewing gum 😀
No, you weren't travelling illegally . British Rail workers were entitled to free travel which included their spouse and dependent children. You can breathe easily.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
It depends on the manner of the defeat:

- played well but lost = mildly peeved
- played well but lost due a VAR calamity = fuming
- played badly and lost = acceptance
- played neither well nor badly but lost in a penalty shootout against Surrey residents' favorite football team in an FA Cup semi-final = extra-fuming

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was a depressing weekend of sport just gone too, England lost Cricket and rugby, we lost, Leeds won, Pompey won and remain top and to cap it Villa won on Monday, I’m still f***ed off !!

I was okay with the internationals because:
Cricket - just now in the one day game I feel SA/India are superior.
Rugby - I've got used to bad times post Woodward/Johnson/Wilkinson, to me it was bonus we got so far. I thought SA would win and had money on it.

Pompey - I just can't hate them. I find cocky little f@ckers Stains and Plucky more irritating.

I'm an analytical person, I guessed the huge spenders including Villa would have good seasons, the PL is 75% about money. I like to see Massive flop and my dreams have come true. There's always a schadenfreude to cheer me up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Angry, inconsolable, shit the bed, sulk. Better now than when I was younger where I should have been in an asylum for a few days after.
Depends on oppo and game. Had convo yesterday with a Derby fan mate, and he felt similar, that rightly/wrongly football moved my emotions from high to low etc like not much else in life, of course its not long lasting and rational mind needs to keep context, but the emotional highs and lows are intense in the moment.

Last week away at City I went believing we'd lose with their home record and our recent form, obviously hoping for something, so I wasnt massively upset. Was more peed off how poor we were first half.

February, 3 1/2 hours down to Amex v Fulham, totally one sided game, we were by far the better team, a shambolic ref performance by Darren England, a late smash'n'grab Manor Solomon goal to lose 1-0, then M1 closed on way home, big diversion near Luton added another hour. Could say I was a bit pissed off that day!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Having been forcibly relocated to Kent in my teens, I used to just cherry pick the, er, pick of First Division games for the upcoming Saturday. Strictly in terms of entertainment value. Which meant a strict pecking order of West Ham, Chelsea, QPR, Arsenal and, last but least, Spurs

I had a Scottish g/f for over 7 years, I loved Scotland. Her family knew the Hansen brothers really well from birth, plus Alan Rough and one of them was married to Brian Whittaker.

I had a soft spot for PT.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, you weren't travelling illegally . British Rail workers were entitled to free travel which included their spouse and dependent children. You can breathe easily.cked
Um, I meant more that it might have been illegal, or certainly inadvisable, to allow an unaccompanied 12 year old and a 10 year old wearing Partick Thistle scarves to travel the length and breadth of Scotland on football trains usually packed with seriously drunk Celtic and/or Rangers fans. Was never a problem tho. They used to pat us on the head and give us sweets 😄

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Depends on oppo and game. Had convo yesterday with a Derby fan mate, and he felt similar, that rightly/wrongly football moved my emotions from high to low etc like not much else in life, of course its not long lasting and rational mind needs to keep context, but the emotional highs and lows are intense in the moment.

Last week away at City I went believing we'd lose with their home record and our recent form, obviously hoping for something, so I wasnt massively upset. Was more peed off how poor we were first half.

February, 3 1/2 hours down to Amex v Fulham, totally one sided game, we were by far the better team, a shambolic ref performance by Darren England, a late smash'n'grab Manor Solomon goal to lose 1-0, then M1 closed on way home, big diversion near Luton added another hour. Could say I was a bit pissed off that day!
Yep that game took a long time to get over , I actually sat in my seat looking into space long past final whistle, I couldn’t move!!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The last time it really effected me was the Palace game before lock down when I was in a foul mood.

Walking down the slope to the station accompanied by a massive stream of police horse piss I remembered my car breaking down in Mayfield on a cold January night on the way back from a heavy loss to Millwall at Priestfield and how I wished it had broken down on the way to the game.

Pretty much got it out of my system.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Like previous posters, for me it depends on the manner of defeat, and against who.

I was not too despondent after last weekend's Man City game, because I was expecting an absolute thrashing, so keeping it to 2-1 was actually impressive. I was far more upset by Solly's injury.

When we lose against a team mid-table or below, having either played poorly or perhaps been complacent, then my disappointment is greater.

It never puts me in a bad mood, though, or stops me enjoying the rest of the day or evening; I can't let a transient game of football affect me or my life.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Games like Saturday are frustrating because he clearly picked the wrong side, as soon as the line up came out the Albion fans in my group all said that’s that then if Milners at right back. He then leaves Billy out who is by far the best passer of a ball currently. Second half surprise surprise we look like a team again.

A defeat when we play the strongest side available and get beat by quality no problem at all, lately we seem to be handing teams 3 points or a win in Europe because he plays a pensioner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here