Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How do we improve next season?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Most people may think "it's too early to talk about next season", but I can't help thinking about it:ascarf:

This season, Brighton is likely to finish 4th to 7th. If Brighton can improve further for next season, it means we can seriously target at winning Premier League 2023 - 2024 ;).

If there is a similar thread already, I want a moderator to delete this thread:blush:
I know you’re not serious about winning the league. But it’s worth noting that the top 2 currently have about 50% more points than us. That’s a massive gap.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Tottenham:
Since I started watching Premier League, I don't think they have won Premier League, and they don't look very good now, so they won't win next season;)
Tottenham have NEVER won the Premier League.

Tottenham have not won the top division since 1961. The gap between Tottenham winning the league and Queen Victoria being alive is smaller than the gap between Tottenham winning the league and the present day.

13 different clubs have won the top division more recently than Spurs. Maybe that will be 14 after next season... :bloom:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seriously speaking, I think we need a "serious striker" / Center Forward.

Welbeck and Undav, they haven't scored enough at all. Ferguson is a very potential lad and I think he will keep improving but we can't expect 19 year old boy too much.
Why can't we expect too much of a 19 year old boy (evn if he's only 18)? He's older than Jude Bellingham was when he went to Dortmund, and older than Bellingham was when he made his England debut - and I don't remember anybody shouting that we shouldn't expect too much of him because he's too young!
The 'We need to buy a ready-made PL striker (or even a ready-made Europa League striker!)' debate is so old hat these days!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More of the same please. The club’s stretch target is “be an established top 10 club” so another season along the same lines as this and last will mean we are closer to this …..so in a way this will be an improvement.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Why can't we expect too much of a 19 year old boy (evn if he's only 18)? He's older than Jude Bellingham was when he went to Dortmund, and older than Bellingham was when he made his England debut - and I don't remember anybody shouting that we shouldn't expect too much of him because he's too young!
The 'We need to buy a ready-made PL striker (or even a ready-made Europa League striker!)' debate is so old hat these days!
bellingham will be finished by the time he’s 32. so will pedri, gavi and rashford. playing that much at such a young age will ultimately mean your body won’t hold up for as long. look at all the injury trouble rashford has had. obviously evan is ready for a major role with us but we need to be so so careful

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
bellingham will be finished by the time he’s 32. so will pedri, gavi and rashford. playing that much at such a young age will ultimately mean your body won’t hold up for as long. look at all the injury trouble rashford has had. obviously evan is ready for a major role with us but we need to be so so careful
Not a hard and fast rule though - Messi and Ronaldo started young and still kept their level until their late 30s. Not implying that Ferguson will be that level, just that playing a lot when young doesn’t automatically mean your body breaks.

However I agree that we should manage his time, if nothing else for the mental side. If he has a barren run of bad form it’s a lot of pressure on an 18 year old.

We will need someone to take over from Undav/Welbeck when he gets injured in any case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
OK, so we'll only get 14 years out of Ferguson then, assuming he'll be knackered at 32 too. Sounds like a good deal to me (and young Evan will be a multi-millionaire, so probably quite content as well).

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Not a hard and fast rule though - Messi and Ronaldo started young and still kept their level until their late 30s. Not implying that Ferguson will be that level, just that playing a lot when young doesn’t automatically mean your body breaks.

However I agree that we should manage his time, if nothing else for the mental side. If he has a barren run of bad form it’s a lot of pressure on an 18 year old.

We will need someone to take over from Undav/Welbeck when he gets injured in any case.
messi hadn’t played 20 league games in a single season till he was 19. Bellingham is 19 and already on 125 league apps and played over 40 games last season. gavi is 18 and already on 61 league apps. obviously there’s exceptions, but in the vast majority of cases, that is doubtlessly going to cause their body’s to slow down sooner than they would’ve otherwise

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
OK, so we'll only get 14 years out of Ferguson then, assuming he'll be knackered at 32 too. Sounds like a good deal to me (and young Evan will be a multi-millionaire, so probably quite content as well).
whilst i’d be fine with him playing week in week out for us and then retiring at 32, i’d imagine he’d want some say in that. realistically, if we get it right, when you look at the likes of benzema and lewandowski, evan could dominate (alongside haaland) for the next 15 years. i wouldn’t want us to over-exert him now and take that away from him

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Either way, its a big summer for the recruitment team. Colwill will be gone in any case so thats the first position to fill. And of course the conveyor belt signings will continue - some young defenders would be useful, instead of always young forward players!

If we get Europe, 2 or so starter-ready acquisitions and trying to keep hold of Caicedo, Mac and Mitoma. For me the aim would be to try to get as far as possible in Europe and if the league form suffers as a result so be it (as long as we're not in the relegation mix).

If we don't get Europe, Caicedo and Mac Allister will be gone, maybe Sanchez too. It will be a big midfield rebuild, that is unlikely to be of the same quality, at least to begin with. How we cope with that will determine our season - our style of play is hugely reliant on breaking up play and quick transitions through midfield. Can Gilmour, Ayari, Kozlowski and Moder do that well enough?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Might not. It is not always going to go upwards. I see a world where it will be a bit of a rebuild season with a bit of more transfer activity than usual. Doesn't have to be a bad thing in the long run but next season could be a bit more of a struggle.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Unless we can match the wages of other top clubs. ,we will never keep our star players long enough for that final push into the top four or higher.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Either way, its a big summer for the recruitment team. Colwill will be gone in any case so thats the first position to fill. And of course the conveyor belt signings will continue - some young defenders would be useful, instead of always young forward players!

If we get Europe, 2 or so starter-ready acquisitions and trying to keep hold of Caicedo, Mac and Mitoma. For me the aim would be to try to get as far as possible in Europe and if the league form suffers as a result so be it (as long as we're not in the relegation mix).

If we don't get Europe, Caicedo and Mac Allister will be gone, maybe Sanchez too. It will be a big midfield rebuild, that is unlikely to be of the same quality, at least to begin with. How we cope with that will determine our season - our style of play is hugely reliant on breaking up play and quick transitions through midfield. Can Gilmour, Ayari, Kozlowski and Moder do that well enough?
No. That is a relegation midfield. Need two midfielders in if Caicedo and Ali Mac leave.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023

If we think about next season, we need a striker who is "already" very good now. He is very good if compared to most other teenaged strikers. However, he is not good enough yet for Brighton to improve "next season". I mean, nobody knows how rapidly he can improve, so we need a very good striker for us to be better next season than this season. It's just my opinion, though.

Edit:
And, even if he is good enough next season, I think we still need to get one more good center forward.

Last edited:

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
bring over this guy if we need a right back and want a compatriot for mitoma

He is the best right back in the Dutch league this season. As a full back, he has scored 4 goals and 9 assists this season, which is very impressive for a full back. He was called up for Japan's national team this month (Japan will play against Columbia and Uruguay this month and Mitoma will also play). Japanese media were reporting some bigger clubs are interested in getting him. Number 2 in this video is the Japanese full back (Sugawara). He is young, 22 years old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here